U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 08:07 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,680,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man
LOL...Last summer at the Gathering in the holler

And Bethany I think the apple is to take attention off the pigs eyes I dont cook one with the head on though I hear the cheek meat is good. And as far as deer meat goes its excellent IMO better than beef because they are clean animals and it lives a free roaming life not confined to a dirty pasture or barnyard. Its great table fare as long it is taken care of when killed and processed.
What does Black Bear taste like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2006, 08:15 PM

80 posts, read 437,787 times
It depends on where its taken from the ones in WNC are very good because they eat acorns and wild grapes and dont have acess to dumps or bait. It tastes like the best beef roast to me . A lot also depends on care of meat like immediate cleaning and cooling and removal of all excess fat. I cook it like a beef roast with taters ,carrots ,onion ,etc. if its fatty I will cook it in a broiling pan where excess grease will drain off.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:15 AM

787 posts, read 3,323,181 times
Mountain Man, I guess that explains it about the apple I mean. I don't think we have ever cooked one with the head still on there either, not that I remember.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:37 AM

212 posts, read 989,315 times
Nash Co. would be head on, start the coals about 0430, put the 80 lb pig on about 0530, corn sticks, yellow slaw, boiled potatoes, draft beer or no depending on the occasion, vingegar/redpepper sauce poured over the pig at intervals, styrofoam section plates and plastic forks, pig ready at 12:00. desert would be bananna pudding or maybe fresh strawberry shortcake in May/June. A group of folks like you describe would be more likely guests at a pig pickin; probably a graduation party, keg would be tapped there. Non drinkers would have sweet tea, some different types of canned drinks on ice, don't forget the diet Mt. dews. Barbecued chicken halves would be on the same grill as the pig or maybe a small one off to the side, same sauce but dunked in and "quenched" as they come off the grill, white loaf bread slices. Deer backstraps or maybe a small whole ham, corn on the cob still in the shuck wrapped up in foil, shish kebab skewers of veggies.
Bear meat is good; cosistency is like pig meat with the fat marbled all the way through,but tougher and a stronger flavor. deer meat the fat is on the outside under the skin along the back, very lean and easy to dry out, needs some juice kept on it. Fresh fish steaks grilled is great too, shrimp skewers, anything goes really as long as it is as fresh as it can be. obviously corn in the shuck might be from last years garden in May. Same with that deer ham. No apple in the mouth that i've ever seen. Apples are for eatin'.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:57 AM

75 posts, read 246,193 times
Clodhopper... you rock! Thanks so much for the information.

Do you live in Nash County? If so, or even if you're nearby like Bethany, I would love to be able to ask you all kinds of questions from time to time.

God bless,
Diana

Old 05-24-2006, 07:33 AM

787 posts, read 3,323,181 times
Clodhopper, I am in Greene County wedged in between Pitt, Lenoir, Wilson, and Wayne counties. Nash county is about 45 miles to the NW of us. Everything he said about the barbaque was on the money as well. And trust me, like he said, no one used anything but plastic/paper plates at these things. There is a huge lined trash can available to dump the remains in. I don't think we have ever used deer or shiscabob here, not that I remember. But I have seen the hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken quarters on the same grill.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:58 PM

212 posts, read 989,315 times
I live in NE Wilson Co. near the Edgecombe and Nash lines. I forgot to add that to get the skin crispy just before serving, the cook might scoop up some hot coals and hold the shovel blade just over the skin, moving it back and forth. You can watch the skin shrink and get crispy. Don't get the shovel blade too close or the skin will burn! Then the cook might break off a couple of big pieces of the now hard, hot, and crispy skin to put alongside your bar-b-q on your styrofoam tray. Now you can scoop up your bar-b-q with the skin like a tortilla.

Also, cooking with gas is cheating! you keep an oak log from your woodpile alongside and split off chunks with a hatchet. Toss these round about the bottom of the grill over the coals.

To keep some hot coals, always keep a pile cooking down on an old plow disc 'side the cooker. Lay some oak chunks on top and scoop some into the cooker now and then to keep the temp up.

Don't have a cooker with a fancy pig flipper? then two cooks will each have to take two pig legs and flip it over halfway through. We start ours skin side down first so the skin is up when we serve.

After serving the cooks might lay around in a folding chair or go on to bed. They've been up all night since the party the night before and probably have been sampling some peach brandy out of a mason jar since about time the coals went on.

the guests clean up after the meal by rolling up the paper table cloths into the big trash can (good 'memberin' Bethany), and some big strong men will volunteer to break down the folding tables and carry them back to the church.

Lots of fun. Gotta find my sauce recipe and post that sometime.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:22 PM

Okay... the next time someone plans one of these things, can I get an invite???

Thanks ya'll!!!

D.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:08 PM

5 posts, read 11,752 times
Default Bbq

Dianna,

In NC, BBQ is not as much an activity as a type of food. I think most of us say we are grilling or cooking out. We are going to a cook out, not going to a BBQ. NC BBQ is usually a smoked pork shoulder or butt, (smoked meat taks a long time to cook) or whole hog, best cooked over coals and baisted with one of several sauces, either a vinager based or a tomatto based. Money is usually wagered over which is best, one is considered E. NC BBQ and the other is WNC (or Lexington - even though Lexington is much closer to the center of the state). Rocky Mount is considered to be in the east.

Now, to answer your question, BBQ can surely be served, if using the whole hog we call it a pig pickin, you might also have BBQ ribs, but mostly just burgers, hot dogs, or maybe steak. Slaw, Baked beans, chips, tomottos, lettuce, pickles, etc. We mostly dring sweet tea, tea with sugar added when the tea is hot so the sugar will disolve, not added after the ice. Home made ice cream for desert, or watermellon.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:27 AM

Okay, I've got a good picture now, I think. But now I've got a little adjustment to do in my story. What I had in mind was that a family would have a gathering -- cousins, aunts & uncles -- at least a couple times a month, after church on Sunday.

So... would this be a "barbecue" (i.e. ribs, shoulder, butt, etc.) or a "pig pickin'" (whole pig)? I'm thinking barbecue, since from the descriptions here, a "pig pickin'" would require someone to get up very early and hang around while the rest of the family goes to church. But tell me if my thinking is off!

Grlook... the EXACT location this would be taking place, if it were real and not fictional, would be in Bailey (fictional town names in the novel)... so would they be using vinegar or tomato based sauce?

Cheers,
Diana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina