U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2007, 03:21 PM

483 posts, read 1,783,087 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are lifelong Bostonians, and we're considering a move to North Carolina. We'd prefer urban to rural, and I'm leaning toward Wilmington, Charlotte, the Triad, or Asheville. I'm Black, he's White, and we want to start a family in the next 5 years. I'm going to be a nurse, so finding a job won't be a problem.

How does North Carolina compare to Boston? What was the hardest thing to get used to? What do you like about the place? What don't you like? What advice would you give to a fellow Bostonian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 03:35 PM

567 posts, read 1,958,204 times
Default New England Medicine

Hello there,

Don't leave Boston. You have the best hospitals and medical care in the country - MGH/Harvard, Brigham & Womens, Beth Israel, etc. Plus Northern salaries are much better.

If you like urban, and if your heart is set on moving, stick to Raleigh or Charlotte. I recommend the Duke hospital system or WakeMed in Raleigh. Stick with the big medical centers.

I am still followed by a Boston doc, and have been out of New England for 7 years now - that should tell you something.

Can't beat New England schools for your future kids either!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:34 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,333,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
Hubby and I are lifelong Bostonians, and we're considering a move to North Carolina. We'd prefer urban to rural, and I'm leaning toward Wilmington, Charlotte, the Triad, or Asheville. I'm Black, he's White, and we want to start a family in the next 5 years. I'm going to be a nurse, so finding a job won't be a problem.

How does North Carolina compare to Boston? What was the hardest thing to get used to? What do you like about the place? What don't you like? What advice would you give to a fellow Bostonian?
I wouldn't totally agree with Erin on this one... though my wife, who's a southern NH native, misses Boston a fair amount. Me, who spent about 10 years in Boston/Cambridge but is a Fla. native... not as much, but there are things I miss from time to time.

Things I like:

* Housing that's affordable
* Diverse and welcoming environment
* Cities town (Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro; Asheville) that are politically progressive and liberal -- you don't get such a mix everywhere in the south
* Fantastic weather
* In the Triangle at least, more respect and appreciation for local restaurants, shopping, etc. than you get in lots of the south (which can be a bit biased towards big-box)
* Tons of job opportunities (Charlotte, Triangle), with lots of university, biomed, IT, financial, etc.
* Great colleges/universities like UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, Davidson, Guilford, etc., with all the positives that go with those, like great hospitals
* Sounds like a little thing, but lots better grocery stores and options

Things I miss/would miss about Boston:

* Walkable/public transport -- I miss walking to work every day, taking the subway, etc.
* Better public schools
* The history
* The skyline, downtown, etc. ... the urban environment. Charlotte has a little bit of this... Raleigh and Durham less so... but in either case, it's nothing like the energy of the "Hub of the Universe"
* RED SOX! Though the Durham Bulls are FUN... it's no Fenway.

In terms of natural environment, there are lots of similarities between NC and New England (only less cold). Ocean is a few hours away, so are the mountains. Plenty of walking trails, parks, etc. Unlike lots of the south, at least in Raleigh-Durham there are no billboards all over the interstate; the freeways have forest/trees on all sides.

Regarding what Erin said about medical care -- mixed bag. For the couple of 'serious' things that have come up since we moved, we got great care at Duke's hospital. Duke is the MGH or BI of the Triangle. For primary care and "regular" doctor visits... just okay, nothing special. My wife really misses her old primary care doc.

I've been lucky enough to live in a half-dozen places up and down the East Coast, and for us, NC is the perfect balance in terms of professional opportunities, progressive environment, affordable housing, and good schools. For me, the only places outside of Boston that I could ever imagine living are the Triangle and Asheville.

When push comes to shove, if living in a true *big city* is important to you... you will really miss Boston and have a hard time matching it. If that's not the be all and end all for you, then NC has some wonderful things to offer.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM

567 posts, read 1,958,204 times
All good points, Bull City.

I see lots of people on this forum who want to move to NC and think it's this fabulous place and don't know much about it. There are a ton of natives who love it but there are also people who thought it was going to be great, moved, and then regretted it.

That is the best thing about this forum: the wide variety of people and varied perspectives. There is a lot of reading to be done here and I urge everyone who wants to move to use the search feature using some key words and read up on all of the suggestions.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:57 AM

474 posts, read 2,026,904 times
Asheville just dropped off the list of best places to retire, and the herd will be going elsewhere when the new "list" comes out.

NC is full now. How about let's all go now to TN, GA or Idaho ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina