Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:44 AM

192 posts, read 654,863 times

Advertisements

It's been a long time since I lived there, so I won't be particularly helpful on most of your questions. I just wanted to strongly encourage you to get up to speed on hurricanes in that area. Wilmington is a direct hit zone & that's nothing to take lightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2006, 09:24 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,408 times
I'm partial to the areas of Rosman, Brevard, Hendersonville and their surrounding communities. I think they are some of the most beautiful areas of NC.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:08 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
I'd pick Carrboro. It isn't called the "Paris of the Piedmont" for nothing. Small-town atmosphere, a walkable downtown. Lots of shops, cafe's, restaurants, markets, galleries, etc. Very friendly people, accepting of everyone. Environmentally-conscious. Lots of local festivals/events.

Absolutely perfect.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:34 PM

22 posts, read 77,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
This COULD have been a fun, interesting thread, don't ya think?

I mean really, people who are looking to move to a smaller town are going to do their research anyway. And don't panic-you know where most transplants are moving to. I took the question to mean if you could move away from where you are, where would you go? Not, "Where do you live and how fast can I get my U-Haul there."
Good for you, jerseymom. You must be from jersey. I like your common sense. Response well put.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 47,365 times
Default Man!

When I saw the title to this thread, I was so excited by the endless possible quaint and proud towns that would be listed in response...but nothin!

I am originally from Florida but currently live in Pennsylvania. Both are nice but I want a little bit of both worlds. Any opinions on Brevard or surrounding towns?

Old 09-12-2007, 03:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleHeather View Post
When I saw the title to this thread, I was so excited by the endless possible quaint and proud towns that would be listed in response...but nothin!

I am originally from Florida but currently live in Pennsylvania. Both are nice but I want a little bit of both worlds. Any opinions on Brevard or surrounding towns?
I like Brevard, but it's a bit too small for me with a population around 7K. I chose nearby Hendersonville. Population around 11K.

Visitors Information Center / Hendersonville & Flat Rock, NC / Henderson County Travel & Tourism

Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Here's my personal advice for those folks considering relocation to NC.

Avoid clustering if at all possible. The state is quite large by east coast standards. There's much more to NC than just the Raleigh and Charlotte metropolitan areas. Many do not care for the upheaval caused by high density living. We like our space.

Avoid complaining about the lack of county and local government services compared to your former state. No one wants heavy taxation to pay for non-essential services that the majority of residents will rarely use, if ever. We would rather provide services to those truly in need through our local church, charity, civic, social groups, and other concerned local residents instead of another unsupervised government mandate. This cuts down on the abuse by those few just looking for a free ride at taxpayers expense.

Avoid ridiculing Southern history, culture and local customs. Your lifestyle may be just as strange to us as ours is to you. Until one has lived here for many years, you're considered a guest. I'm sure as a guest in someone's home, you wouldn't start re-arranging the furniture to your personal tastes.

The keyword here is assimilation. Do you want to be known as a new North Carolinian or just another New Yorker living in North Carolina?

This is such good advice! Anyone who does these things will get along just fine down here, as we are happy to have these kinds of newcomers

Old 09-12-2007, 03:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:

Brevard is beautiful. It is also becoming more and more desirable, so I am sure the real estate prices are now reflecting that. It is definitely worth a visit

Old 09-12-2007, 11:33 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:

Brevard has always been known as a cultural center. We have a little thing that we do when we go on vacation. If we are traveling on Sunday, we put on our church clothes and at the church time we start looking for the first church we can find that is of our faith to visit. We happened to end up at the First Baptist Church of Brevard one Sunday morning. They were having a special service with the children's choir. It was the best children's choir I have ever heard in my life. Well, naturally, it was Brevard. Need I say more!

There are a lot of places in that area that would make a good place to live. We have just recently discovered that part of North Carolina. I grew up in Northwestern North Carolina, so we didn't really get to that part of the state until we went to a timeshare in Sapphire Valley. It is just a whole new area to explore. Beautiful!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Default Mayberry, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
No Marberry (or is it Maybury)!!! That's like saying there's no santa claus! And don't tell me that's true too! lol
Isn't that on Highway 74 between Indian Trail and Monroe, near the NC Highway Patrol Station. Ha! Ha! Has someone moved the patrol car? It is spelled Mayberry. I googled Mayberry, NC. Interesting bunch of stuff. The fictional town was near Raleigh, NC. I know Mt. Pilot , or was it Pilot Mountain, was mentioned a lot. I guess we all need to watch some more episodes of the Mayberry, RFD. Andy is from Mt. Airy and the quality of life in the show was influenced by his knowledge of rural North Carolina. Good ole Andy!

One earlier poster was right. Almost any small town in North Carolina would qualify as "Mayberry."

Last edited by NCN; 09-13-2007 at 12:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina