U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 02:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,874,976 times

Advertisements

LOL!! It may have also tipped a few outhouses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2006, 02:15 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,169,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
The most recent earthquake was a 2.6 on March 6th of this year and was located 25 miles NNE of Asheville.
I read that the epicenter (or near-epi) was Hot Springs, which isn't a surprise considering that the area is known for its .... hot springs.

Anyway, messages on several boards from homeowners in that area report that they were awakend by a BOOM noise and some shaking. It was more an event from which tall tales are spun than anything that creates damage

Old 05-29-2006, 02:28 PM

787 posts, read 3,317,698 times
Believe me I have a story about the outhouses. It happened in 1982 and I won't repeat it here but it was pretty bad. Anyway, Greene County has torn all of them down since then.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:06 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,632,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
I read that the epicenter (or near-epi) was Hot Springs, which isn't a surprise considering that the area is known for its .... hot springs.

Anyway, messages on several boards from homeowners in that area report that they were awakend by a BOOM noise and some shaking. It was more an event from which tall tales are spun than anything that creates damage
I was slightly off on the magnitude of the March quake. It was 2.8 instead of 2.6.

The largest earthquake with an epicenter located within North Carolina was in 1916 near Waynesville. Magnitude was a 5.2. Tops of chimneys were thrown to the ground; windowpanes were broken in many houses; and people rushed into the streets at Waynesville. At Sevierville, Tennessee about 70 kilometers northwest of Waynesville, bricks were shaken from chimneys. In Wear's Cove, about 16 kilometers southwest of Sevierville, the flow of water in springs increased and in places water became muddy. Minor damage was reported in western Tennessee at Athens, Knoxville, Maryville, Morristown, and Newport, Tennessee; at Tryon, North Carolina; and at Bristol, Virginia. Also reported felt in Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, and West Virginia.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-29-2006 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-29-2006, 03:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,874,976 times
I hear that South Carolina actually has pretty severe earthquakes. Actually, i think one of the strongest ever in America was in Charleston. Around the turn of the century.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,626,140 times
yeah, columbia and charleston are both built on fault lines. the lake murray dam recently underwent a $250 million seismic remediation, to prevent Columbia from flooding in the event of an earthquake.

charleston had a huge quake in 1886 that destroyed seven-eighths of the city.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:09 PM

483 posts, read 1,447,236 times
Default I'm #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer

2. People from all income brackets who are choosing to move south, who are researching, asking questions, trying to learn, trying to figure out how to fit in. Big difference.
My family and I are friendly middle-class folks from NY who want to have the best for our daughter. We are not looking to change anything, but rather to acclamate ourselves to the southern culture. So many have told us that NC provides a better quality of life and that's one of the main reasons for our move, not to mention that it is getting way too expensive to live here.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:54 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
lol I love how people come to NC and think there is actually a Maybury. Nope, fake town. I believe it is based off of Mount Airy, NC. Northwest of Winston-Salem and close to the Virginia border.
No Marberry (or is it Maybury)!!! That's like saying there's no santa claus! And don't tell me that's true too! lol

Old 06-04-2006, 06:09 AM

192 posts, read 592,032 times
Miker....
It's actually "Mayberry"

Although the town name is fictional, the series was based (in part) on Andy Griffith's own childhood hometown of Mt. Airy, NC.

You might enjoy these:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=6

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:zFPmm2r4OqQJ:www.mayberry.com/tagsrwc/wbmutbb/anewsome/private/mountairy.htm+mayberry,+nc&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd= 4 (broken link)

Last edited by luckydog; 06-04-2006 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-04-2006, 08:04 AM

787 posts, read 3,317,698 times
I will add those most small towns in North Carolina would qualify as "Mayberry". They usually have some of the same quirks like the town drunk, the everyone knows your name sorta of feel to it and some residents that you just know are going to do certain things before they do them. The main difference in Mayberry or Mt. Airy is the location and cultural differences that are associated with that town. I live on the coast and Mt. Airy is in the northwestern part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or