U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2006, 07:51 PM

192 posts, read 592,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
things from nc natives towards others/outsiders/foreigners/ or whatever natives call them at times. not everyone does this of course, but man i dont think i have seen the racism and negativity towards "yankees" as i have seen here in western nc. it goes both ways, "lucky dog."
I'm aware it does. And I acknowledged that & was hoping to shed some insight on why it does in the posts. The first post, I thought, was quite balanced...at least I tried awfully hard for it to be. I'd like to clarify that the wilmington retiree post, although an example of my personal bad experience, made no blanket statements & I hope you discerned that from the posts. Do you feel like I'm making "racist" or "negative" towards yankees as a whole? That was not my intention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
why the heck did they think k-r-a-u-t was a bad word?
Oh my gosh...too funny!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
We will ALL strive to not let past bad experiences be the single determinating factor on how we interact with new people.
that's so key, isn't it? takes a little effort for both sides, but it would be so well worth it, I think.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:59 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,645,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
why the heck did they think k-r-a-u-t was a bad word?
It's a derogatory term used to describe folks of German ancestry especially during the 1930's and 1940's.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-05-2006 at 08:05 PM..

Old 06-05-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Having gone through what we have gone through here I understand and respect your honesty & implore yu to promote what makes you unique. If you bend too far you will break... take it from one who knows.
thank you for being so kind. the bending though is so hard...it's got to be done...but knowing when to bend? when to break? it's a struggle really.

As I said before I don't want to bury my head in the sand, just pout or yell about it either...can honestly say I've wanted to do all three at times and it's true that it's like being between a rock & a hard place. I just don't want this awesome place to become...well, you know.

but for the record...bending isn't hard to do with those that are trying...I mean for heaven's sakes, how can you fault someone who's "bending" over backwards trying, just like you? I certainly can't. and it's obvious that so many of you here are really bending yourselves...it's just the dang stiff ones that are the problem

Old 06-05-2006, 08:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,884,566 times
Are you serious? Well then they should know that I'm 75% German and I really don't mind. If it's such a bad word why do they use it in one of their most popular foods?

Old 06-05-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
It's a derogatory term used to describe folks of German ancestry especially during the 1930's and 1940's.
I learned something new...

Last edited by luckydog; 06-05-2006 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-05-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Are you serious? Well then they should know that I'm 75% German and I really don't mind. If it's such a bad word why do they use it in one of their most popular foods?
The food came first.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:13 PM

483 posts, read 1,447,757 times
Default Stereotyping

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
That is a typical New Yorker if I ever heard one. I could just picture them now. That's what I HATE.
I know that New York has a somewhat negative reputation but unfortunately it's a stereotype thing. To anyone making opinions about New Yorkers....yes there are a lot of jerks, too many for me to count, and having grown up in New York my entire life, I've had my share with them. But I have fortunately been raised with the qualities that people should be courteous to one another. So if I've read this message right, please do not think that every New Yorker is rude and disrespectful. If I misunderstood, my apologies.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy beaches
Couldn't have said that better myself. I have been reading this thread because I have family members thinking of moving to NC. The hostility is overwhelming. And geez if you mention the atrocious school situation and disagree with Paddling they attack. I remember reading facts from a woman from NC about certain "school issues". I think she runs a cause or something. All her posts had been deleted.
Those posts haven't been deleted, but the topic was moved to its own forum at www.healthofchildren.com/forum/about5.html. The new forum includes all states, instead of just NC.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-05-2006 at 08:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or