U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2006, 08:17 PM

192 posts, read 592,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy beaches
Couldn't have said that better myself. (response to luckydog) I have been reading this thread because I have family members thinking of moving to NC. The hostility is overwhelming. And geez if you mention the atrocious school situation and disagree with Paddling they attack. I remember reading facts from a woman from NC about certain "school issues". I think she runs a cause or something. All her posts had been deleted.
ummm...do you feel like i've been hostile? hoping not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2006, 08:29 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,539,317 times
no, luckydog, i didnt think you were being racist at all. like you, i was just explaining what i have seen/heard where i live. i am from fla, so i can pretty much say that i have been around all types of ppl (as fla is a very diverse state) so i am pretty accepting of all types.

however, living in nc for several yrs now has opened my eyes a little. i have heard the "n" word in the middle of downtown in normal conversation. i have seen sooooooo many rebel flags on cars, and soo many men (and women) with tobacco in their mouth i could puke. yeah, i have seen a woman dipping tobacco before... i know it's disgusting.

one more thing.... just b/c someone is hispanic doesnt mean that they are automatically mexican!!! c'mon now!!!

on another note, the high temperature today was like 70 degrees... i want hot weather!! isnt that kind of weird??? 70 degrees in june???

ps - i'm just saying what i have observed and i dont think the all nc folks feel this way. i have met many nice ppl here...

Old 06-05-2006, 08:29 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,400,608 times
Default Thousand Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I grew up an hour away from a town in Upstate NY called Phelps that had an annual Sauer***** festival because the area has a lot of cabbage fields. I know it smells HORRIBLE, and I can't eat it... unless ofcourse it's on a rueben. Same thing with Thousand Island Dressing (The thousand Islands were also only a couple hours away. lol)
Anyone ever watch General Hospital? Or should I say, will anyone admit to it?

Anyhoo, the fictional town of Port Charles is set amidst the Thousand Islands.

It is so pretty up there, especially the abandoned castle on Heart Island.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:33 PM

Default the part about mexicans wasnt directed towards anyone

it was just a general statement b/c i've heard hispanics referred to as mexicans even if they are not.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla
no, luckydog, i didnt think you were being racist at all. like you, i was just explaining what i have seen/heard where i live. i am from fla, so i can pretty much say that i have been around all types of ppl (as fla is a very diverse state) so i am pretty accepting of all types.

however, living in nc for several yrs now has opened my eyes a little. i have heard the "n" word in the middle of downtown in normal conversation. i have seen sooooooo many rebel flags on cars, and soo many men (and women) with tobacco in their mouth i could puke. yeah, i have seen a woman dipping tobacco before... i know it's disgusting.

one more thing.... just b/c someone is hispanic doesnt mean that they are automatically mexican!!! c'mon now!!!

on another note, the high temperature today was like 70 degrees... i want hot weather!! isnt that kind of weird??? 70 degrees in june???

ps - i'm just saying what i have observed and i dont think the all nc folks feel this way. i have met many nice ppl here...
Good. I'm glad.

BTW, the rebel flag thing isn't always intended by NC'ers as a racist thing...sometimes by some I suppose, but really not typically

Old 06-05-2006, 08:39 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,882,458 times
I know that I don't appreciate seeing the rebel flag and have seen it flown on many houses here. We are the UNITED states of America and have been that way consistantly since 1865. Flying the confederate flag in the south is much like flying the British Flag anywhere on the east coast from Georgia up or the spanish flag in Florida. The confederacy doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for 140 years.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:41 PM

Default i know but

try to tell some of the natives that. you know what i mean?

this is in response to, "The confederacy doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for 140 years.""

Old 06-05-2006, 08:53 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,642,097 times
In Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama, Maryland, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Louisiana vehicle owners can request a state-issued license plate featuring the Sons of Confederate Veterans logo, which incorporates the square Confederate Battle Flag.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
In Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama, Maryland, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Louisiana vehicle owners can request a license plate from the state featuring the Sons of Confederate Veterans logo, which incorporates the square Confederate Battle Flag.
I'm on my learned two new things today limit now & I'm retiring for the day! I surely didn't know that.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:07 AM

676 posts, read 2,798,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
English in Calif- whats that!!???After only reading part of this whole thread i feel for the most part ( me included) the ones leaving Calif. know exactly what it feels like to be invaded and in much bigger numbers than the few that are leaving this state for greener pastures in North Carolina. I have seen and felt the changes here in Calif. and it is a good part why we are choosing to leave to begin with.
Couldn't agree more. I am frustrated by what has happened to my home state of CA, so I completely understand and respect native NC people's resentment towards what they feel is an invasion of newcomers. But, I have a hard time with some of it because most of their (NC) growth is mainly from educated, middle-class AMERICANS seeking a place with traditional values that their home states have lost due to a huge growth of uneducated, non-American, non-English speaking, economically challenged immigrants not necessarily interested in contributing to their new community, but instead sending the majority of their income to their native land and families back home. We want to join your community, become contributing members, learn and adapt to your southern culture while also keeping some of our own traditions alive (tongue sandwiches???) and living a good, honest life. Rude transplants deserve their cold welcome, but the rest of us are just innocent victims who have been forced out of our home states for various reasons and don't want to ridicule your accents or invite you over as the butt of their jokes at a party. I respect you, I will probably ask some questions that seem lame, but I won't expect things to be done like my old way back home.

PS - Luckydog, thanks for understanding. It was nice reading your honest messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or