U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 12:24 PM

7,929 posts, read 17,766,482 times

Advertisements

Go Yankees!!!!!!

Hey Bundy!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 08:17 PM

29 posts, read 90,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Cornie, I too will move to the Western NC for the rural lifestyle and beauty of the mountains, the opportunity for hiking, backpacking, and other outdoor recreation. I have been enjoying the mountains there for many years and I feel I have an appreciation of the area. I think it is YOU that had better get use to the people who are moving there. I, and many others will move there inspite of attitudes, and yes, people like you. There are plenty of warm neighborly people who will welcome nice people and good neighbors. Of course there will probably be plenty of people like you who resent what they feel as the invasion. Funny though, people have been moving to Florida for years and people here do not feel resentful or upset about it as some in NC do.
Let me get this straight. You're moving here, but the natives like myself need to "get used to it", including the way you think and do things. This seems to be a common sentiment among those that are coming here. People in the mountains and other areas of NC have been dealing with this type of attitude for years now and I think it's pretty arrogant. And the rural lifestyle and beauty of the mountains that you referred to is becoming a thing of the past because of the influx of people who don't really appreciate the heritage of our area like those that are from here. Also, for the most part from what I've seen these newcomers couldn't care less about the people already here.

In case you think the mountains are just one big pristine wilderness just read the words of the Conservation Trust of North Carolina, "the Blue Ridge Parkway is in danger of becoming just another road through a common urban landscape. Developed land in the North Carolina mountains increased 77 percent during the last two decades. This loss of natural lands around the Parkway is destroying the mountain vistas of thriving forests, clear mountain streams, and classic rural farms that millions of people travel the Parkway to see..." (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/16259517.htm) (broken link). Let me tell you, I appreciate it, especially since I see it being lost forever to future generations. Regardless of whether it is popular or not, this is my opinion and it's also the opinion of many, many people here, whether or not they choose to voice it.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:50 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,662,409 times
Having family that lives in Arden NC, which is just south of Asheville, but north of Hendersonville, I can tell you what cornbread posted is true. Visit the NC mountains? Hurry up. I have seen quite a few hills and mountains cleared of virtually all trees with houses now placed on top. Or the valleys replaced with big box stores.

All a result of unrestricted growth and the average person thinking, "its just me, I wont have any affect."

Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,643,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Having family that lives in Arden NC, which is just south of Asheville, but north of Hendersonville, I can tell you what cornbread posted is true. Visit the NC mountains? Hurry up. I have seen quite a few hills and mountains cleared of virtually all trees with houses now placed on top. Or the valleys replaced with big box stores.

All a result of unrestricted growth and the average person thinking, "its just me, I wont have any affect."
North Carolina lost another 1,000 farms in 2005, continuing a decline that has seen the state lose 300,000 acres of farmland since 2002, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"North Carolina is a leading agricultural state, but losing farms is one category where I don't want us to be No. 1," said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. "Farm loss has become a chronic problem here."

North Carolina was among the leaders in farm loss. Florida and Tennessee also lost about 1,000 farms in 2005, according to the USDA's annual report on farm numbers and acreage. South Carolina gained 100 farms, Georgia saw no change and Virginia lost only 200 farms.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:00 PM

699 posts, read 2,339,281 times
Well...this is 2007 America, and people can pretty much move wherever they feel like moving. I find it hard to believe that residents of any state would resent new residents, but there are people in the world who would resent a rabbit if it looked at them wrong. I've run into some Georgia natives who had that "go back to where you came from" attitude, and it really burns me up because I don't want someone like that speaking for me in any way. Just be glad that it's not the other way around...with masses of people leaving for someplace better.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:46 PM

30 posts, read 129,987 times
I have been living here in NC for 10 years and moved from NY. I like the weather (excluding the humidity of the summer and the occasional ice storm in the winter) and that I can own a 3 bedroom townhome as opposed to a one room studio in Manhattan. However, do NOT expect southern "hospitality". Sorry to offend lots of you southerners on this thread, but it is well known that it is more backstabbing than hospitality. Northerners let you know know where you stand. Just a warning... don't expect that from the southerners.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:07 PM

177 posts, read 789,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraZ View Post
However, do NOT expect southern "hospitality". Sorry to offend lots of you southerners on this thread, but it is well known that it is more backstabbing than hospitality. Northerners let you know know where you stand. Just a warning... don't expect that from the southerners.
LauraZ, my advice to you and all of the new transplants that complain about ill-treatment and "back stabbing" is, before you even consider moving, learn about the culture of the people in the place you're moving to. If you, repeatedly, feel you're being stabbed in the back by "the southerners", maybe you should take a look at your own behaviour and see if how you're behaving is the cause of the ill-feelings people are projecting onto you.

eileen (former Manhattanite that moved South, left the South for BC - and is, now, looking very much forward to getting back South)

Old 02-20-2007, 05:17 PM

30 posts, read 129,987 times
Default Backstabbing

Even southerners have told me that's the modicum here. Glad you're looking forward to moving back eileen.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:26 PM

17 posts, read 170,386 times
To LauraZ:

Good evening. couldn't help but to see your quote about southern hospitality being backstabbing...I was born and raised in the South and I have to say that Southern people are the ones who will let you know where you stand with them; they will let you know whether they like you or not...If you are nice to them, then they'll be nice to you..People are generally nice and friendly...A friend of mine was in Charlotte not too long ago and he happened to forgot his cell phone....well, this couple (complete strangers) lent him one of their cell phones so that he could make a phone call; LET an incident of you lending your cell phone to somebody in NYC and you wouldn't have seen that cell phone ever again...I've heard some northerners say that the South is good b/c where they were from (Boston), people weren't friendly period and that people were fake and in the south, they saw that people keep it real and aren't fake; that's what my friends from Boston told me.

The south is okay...people in the south generally keep it real and are not fake, usually...I heard that up in the NOrth is where people generally are really backstabbing, not friendly, bad attitudes...a friend of mine went to CT and when she spoke to someone, the person looked at her with an attitude and cursed her!!!!!!

I'm agree with EJMATL on that you may have to look at your own behavior or attitude and see if the way you behave it causing others to have ill feelings toward you...I'm not trying to be rude to you or anything like that....It's just that I believe that the way you treat people will be how those people will treat you....

Old 02-20-2007, 06:12 PM

177 posts, read 789,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aupz23 View Post
I'm not trying to be rude to you or anything like that....It's just that I believe that the way you treat people will be how those people will treat you....
Well said, aupz23!

LauraZ: I, also, didn't mean to be rude to you - so if my message did come across that way, I'm sorry. I have to admit it took me a good year to assimilate to life in the South - and I have to admit it wasn't until I took a look at myself and my behaviour (which wasn't bad, as I'm sure yours is not - but was very "NYC") and started "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" that I was able to "settle in" and really enjoy being there.

Enjoy NC. It's a beautiful State filled with beautiful people, fabulous cultures, a lot of amazing natural resources and some of the best 'Que in the world.

eileen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or