U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2007, 11:47 PM

6 posts, read 26,647 times

Advertisements

I am ecstatic looking at all the other folks moving to NC. My husband and I have two young sons (3 and 1) and have lived in northern Ohio our entire lives. I am very close with my mother and father and we have many friends in this area. Recently we had to file bankruptcy. Our small town used to be a haven for the manufacturing industry. It was once a very desirable town to live in. Nice people, good work, small town, decent schools, etc..Over the last several years everything has declined so much so that we just can't raise our sons here. Our school system fails over half of the kids. The "good" jobs are leaving in handfuls and retail is taking over. Our minimum wage is $6 something an hour and our gas is almost $3.50/gallon. Our taxes increase constantly and the crime is going up b/c we live less than an hour from Youngstown. As many know, Ytown is almost as bad as living in Detroit as far as crime goes. Another problem, we are a very conservative family politically and we are surrounded by liberals. Anyways, after filing bankruptcy we realized starting over here is pointless. We will never better our situation and our sons will suffer for it. We want better education for them and more opportunity. My husband will be attending NASCAR technical institute in the fall of 2008 so we will be living in the Mooresville area. Iredell county. We have visited the area on several occasions and are completely in love with it. The area is twice the size of our area but still so much cheaper. Taxes, housing, day to day stuff, etc...Plus the schools are one of the best in NC. I have an aunt and uncle in New Bern but other than that we know no one. I am scared of course with regards to leaving my family that I am so close to and also b/c my sons are extremely close to their grandpa and grandma. They see them everyday! I know I will adjust but my family still likes to give me the guilt treatment for it and they still pray we decide to start over here in Ohio. It just isn't going to happen. I do feel bad for leaving them but my sons have to come first and I honestly believe moving is the best answer for them. Here they have no opportunity. No future. The youth in this are scares me to no end. My sons will not be raised like that. We are very friendly and open people and around here no one even looks your way. They couldn't care less about their neighbor or the poor man down the street. Everyone turns the other cheek and drifts through life selfishly. I just can't imagine growing old here. I am depressed a lot of the time when I think about it. Even if NC isn't perfect it's better than here and it's something we have to do for ourselves and our sons. We have pondered over this decision since we married 4 years ago but we never did anything about it. Now we have no choice unfortunately with my husband losing income and myself also. We have gotten ourselves so in debt over the past 4 years that bankruptcy is the only option if we ever want to be financially stable. I just wish we would have done it 4 years ago before the babies were born and we were doing good financially. Oh well, you live and learn I suppose and hopefully don't repeat those horrible mistakes from the past.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 12:11 AM

22,087 posts, read 40,208,680 times
butterfly8 beautiful post.

Look at it positively, I think you will like Mooresville it a fun city I appreciate courage that you and other families take to try to give your family a better chance in life and I applaud you for that. Your kids will be ok they are young enough that maybe only of them will remember the move.
You now will only be 4 to 6 hours from your relatives in New Bern.

I have faith that you will be proud of making this positive life decision.

Keep in mind that Ohio isnt that far away so you can always go back and visit old friends or family or remind yourself that hopefully the grass is greener.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 19,301 times
You have asked why people want to move to NC and what we are looking to gain there. I can not speak for everyone, only for myself and my two children. I have been to NC a few times in the last 15 years and have loved it for so long. I wanted to move down there since the first time I was there. Back then my boss had just relocated from Charlotte to New Cumberland, PA. He told me about Charlotte and offered for me and my (at the time) fiance to go down and check it for free. No brainer. Since then I have been down a few more times, still wanting to live there. Now that I am divorced from a not very nice man at all, I want to live out my dream of lliving in NC. I seriously hate PA winters!!!! Ice, snow and freezing temps. are certainly not my thing. I grew up here, but have had a southern accent from the time I was little - especially after speaking with someone with one and if I am tired. For the job that I do up here, I would be paid 2-3 times more to do the same thing in NC. Housing is about the same as where I live but would be closer to civilization than where I live currently. I have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest Walmart or large grocery store. My doctor is a hour away, my children's is 30 minutes. I am spoiled with only driving 13 miles to work though. I will admit, I don't know where to move in NC. I am applying for jobs and I will go where the job is. I pray it is a nice area for my children. I don't know every town obviously. I'm not sure what the best place would be. I live in a little rural town now. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. I grew up in the suburbs. I'm not real interested in living in the city. Any suggestions as to where to go?My children and I are also moving to get away from the x-in-laws and their father. It would be safer for us to live a few hundred miles away from them. I am looking for a better quality of life for my children and myself. Wish us luck. Any pointers?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 AM

53 posts, read 160,486 times
I've wanted to move south for several years now. I looked at colleges in both NC and SC and wound up at West Virginia University (just loved the school). Now that I'm right out of college, I'm looking to move because I don't want to live at home (rent-free is nice, that's about it!), I want warmer weather than what MD and WV has to offer, friendly people, and a cheaper standard of living, so I'll be entering the workforce. My parents suggested Charlotte because it's up-and-coming and not too far from them (they swear this isn't a reason but I'm convinced it is, considering I was looking in SC and Georgia). I like Charlotte for the lower rent and it seems to be a "young" city.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 PM
NCN

14,087 posts, read 12,524,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome, Bethanytedder.

And may I add, you are one of the posters here who give us a real feel for the people in NC. Thanks for all the time-and personality you put into it! What would we do without you and mm34b?
I agree. I laughed all the way through that post. It reminds me of a sweet lady in her 90's in our area. She was a retired teacher and had taught half the people in town. Who would have the heart to take away her independence of driving? We just all knew her car and watched out for her.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:53 PM
NCN

14,087 posts, read 12,524,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Then don't move to Cary. You can only have 2 dogs in Cary.
We are only allowed one animal per acre in the development I live in in N. C. It's a deed restriction.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,906,837 times
Butterfly,
I wish you and your family much happiness and success here in NC.

Stacy,
I would look into the Charlotte, Raleigh and Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) areas. Asheville is nice too, but is snowy in the winter and might not have as many job opportunities for you. Couldn't hurt to look though, I reckon.

East of Raleigh, things get kind of depressed economically. Greenville isn't too bad, I've just never preferred it myself personally.

Wilmington is lovely, but it's risky living there because of hurricanes.

Stay away from Fayetteville.

I wish you all the best.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 PM

306 posts, read 900,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Then don't move to Cary. You can only have 2 dogs in Cary.
The two-dog per household limit was removed back in 2001. Current Cary ordinance information can be found at http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...d=33&pid=13841. Also, if you choose to live in a HOA-governed sub-division then be sure to read through their rules before buying.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:19 AM

6 posts, read 19,301 times
What can y'all tell me about Whiteville area, Columbus County and Walnut Creek area, Wayne County (near Goldsboro)?

Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 AM

152 posts, read 614,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Wilt View Post
What can y'all tell me about Whiteville area, Columbus County and Walnut Creek area, Wayne County (near Goldsboro)?
In a nutshell, Whiteville is a small town in a rural county, but it's within 45 minutes - 1 hr. of Myrtle Beach and Wilmington. Closest beaches are Ocean Isle and North Myrtle Beach- around 40 min. drive time. Whiteville has a hospital, doctors, historic downtown (town est. in 1833), and a super Walmart. No upper end restaurants or nightlife --- everyone travels to Myrtle or Wilmington for that. Real estate prices are modest, but going up because of proximity to coast. Nice small town. Great place to raise kids. Some people love it, others don't. Just depends on if you want small town life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina