Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 08:24 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,631,963 times

Advertisements

I love that this still pops up after all this time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 8,273 times
Thank you for your response. Like many northerners looking to the south...my family and I don't mesh well with the cold rude way of the north. Though none of us are from the south we were raised and raise our children to be polite and well mannered with all people. When we visited the area we appreciated that genuine hospitality and kindness from people. All city people from the north are not the same way, cold and rude, nor are all people from the south very hospitable and kind. Ignorance begets ignorance, kindness begets kindness...unless people are to ignorant to be kind or too kind to be ignorant. Thanks again for your response...I think...I hope most transplants are looking to add to the good things you locals have going for yourselves.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:00 PM

21 posts, read 67,028 times
I am relocating to NC from Chicago. I grew up and went to school in the midwest. I chose NC because I wanted to be closer to my family. But the biggest reason is that I couldn't afford to buy a condo in Chicago metro, and I am a health care professional who makes a relatively good salary. I was tired of waiting for the train in 0 degree weather into March and April. I love to do outdoor sports and was really limited due to the inclement weather and the difficulty of getting out of the city without a car. Couldn't justify the expense of owning a car either. And after living in the plains my entire life, I am estatic to be near mountains and beaches. I actually find a simple pleasure in looking at the scenery as I drive through the state. NC also offers a few metro areas that have a city scene, easy access to the outdoors, and are relatively affordable. So that's my reason.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 PM

65 posts, read 205,464 times
Fantastic answer...luv it

Old 08-08-2009, 08:50 PM

267 posts, read 803,995 times
My family will be moving to western NC within the next 6 months. I can say that it has absolutely nothing to do with finances. We feel we'll be no better or worse financially in NC compared to here in SW Florida. I'm a 41 year old stay at home dad to 3 boys, ages 4, 6, and 7. My wife is a respiratory therapist, and the research says she'll be making the same there as here, and the cost of living may be slightly lower there.

Our reasons are very simple...the weather, and quality of life. After living 31 years in Florida, one thing has become quite apparent...for 7 or 8 months out of the year, the only option is the beach and that gets old real quick. We enjoy a much more active lifestyle, or, I should say, would like to enjoy one. This summer was the nail in the coffin for FL. We vacation as much as possible in WNC, and spend the whole time tent camping and hiking. We'd do it every day if it was possible. When we return here, and the summer hits, we are basically locked in our house for 80% of the year. No fun. And it's not from a lack of trying. Middle of July we took off to a state park to do some hiking and it was horrible, to say the least. Bathing yourself in 100% deet wouldn't put a dent in the mosquitoes, and the heat and humidity ended our attempt in about 30 minutes. Our poor pug Moya was close to heat stroke.

We are nature lovers, and simply can not wait to get up there and start a new chapter in our lives. We feel it will be safer and healthier not only for us, but our children who, during the summer, can barely play outside for 45 minutes before retreating inside, red-faced and dehydrated, to the a/c before keeling over.

So, once my wife has secured a job, we'll be off.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,066,472 times
Escaping the C O L D DARK winters and the other times it is just plain DARK and GLOOMY.

Looking for serenity and quality of life...

Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 PM

51 posts, read 91,192 times
To all of these people moving here okay, but do not think we are going to have our values drained and talked away so be ready to change, because Jesse Helms was in office for that long for a reason and a lot of Natives here are ready to take it back.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:16 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,541,946 times
WOW....I made this thread nearly 4 years ago and it's still getting responses!

I don't even live in NC anymore and haven't for over 2 years!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,287,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan08 View Post
To all of these people moving here okay, but do not think we are going to have our values drained and talked away so be ready to change, because Jesse Helms was in office for that long for a reason and a lot of Natives here are ready to take it back.
Jesse Helms is dead Jesse Helms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,287,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
WOW....I made this thread nearly 4 years ago and it's still getting responses!

I don't even live in NC anymore and haven't for over 2 years!
Thirteen pages that is pretty good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina