Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:23 AM
am2

413 posts, read 856,619 times

Advertisements

Many people are escaping New Jersey, and NC seems to bode better than DE, VA or FL, and with out having to move half-way across the country, to states like TX and Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,430 times
Uniquefaith81,

I would live just outside Charlotte, NC area in the bordering towns of S.C. /N.C. border. Then get a job in Charlotte area. Reason being is that cost of living is cheaper in S.C. and I would say South Carolina has better schools. My wife just moved here from california and has 4 teens. She is a teacher with masters in Education and is currently teaches 7th grade language arts ,Reading and science in one school. She is apolled by the reading level in the school most aren't reading at their current level. The school is expecting her to bring them miracles but the kids refuse to want to learn to even read. So if you want good pay follow the point I gave you. You will get paid NC wages for living in Charlotte but be living better in SC. Even gas is cheaper.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:30 AM

Did you find what state you were looking to move my Wife is from La Mirada, Ca. She moved to where I have lived for 27 years in July. She doesn't like it here. I am not a native to N.C. and this area I got sucked into. If you want to visit NC visit around Ashville, NC over in the western part or over in Wilmington, NC try and stay away from I 95 and 85 corridores. I haven't found anywhere along thos routes that I could even think of calling home. I plan on moving back to Upstate N.Y. one day after all the kids are out on their own. Which hopefully will be in 4 years....LOL

Old 09-24-2010, 10:33 AM

That town would be mount Airy over in the western part of the state.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,031 times
I recently relocated from MD to Dallas, TX a month ago and I'm in Raleigh this week for business! I have never met the nicest, friendliest people in my entire life. Everyone says hi! Yes this means a lot to me and I have found I smile all day. The atmosphere or enviroment is pleasant. My coworker is here from NY and raves! I will deal with being referred to as a Yankee. It doesnmt bother me. Harmless...compared how Northern states treat others...

I want to move here...Now I just need to convince my fiance!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:25 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windyjoy View Post
I recently relocated from MD to Dallas, TX a month ago and I'm in Raleigh this week for business! I have never met the nicest, friendliest people in my entire life. Everyone says hi! Yes this means a lot to me and I have found I smile all day. The atmosphere or enviroment is pleasant. My coworker is here from NY and raves! I will deal with being referred to as a Yankee. It doesnmt bother me. Harmless...compared how Northern states treat others...

I want to move here...Now I just need to convince my fiance!
You won't regret it! Have you visited Charlotte?

Old 05-03-2013, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,135 times
I am looking to live on a creek or river, and in a secluded location. Can
I get a few tips or things to watch for, coming from Louisiana things may be easy for me to overlook whe buying a place. I am a country bug and I do love fishing and tubeing. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmon10 View Post
I am looking to live on a creek or river, and in a secluded location. Can
I get a few tips or things to watch for, coming from Louisiana things may be easy for me to overlook whe buying a place. I am a country bug and I do love fishing and tubeing. Thanks!
Then you're probably going to want to look in Northwestern NC.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:24 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I think the advice that we give to most newcomers (get ready for hot and humid) really wouldn't apply in your case if you're coming from Louisiana.

Will you be needing employment? In general the middle band (piedmont) of the state has the best job prospects.

There are creeks and rivers throughout NC. The mountains are very scenic and do offer good tubing and fishing as well as white water rafting, but Eastern NC would be more similar to Louisiana. We have swamps and gators down east, too.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:29 PM

22 posts, read 32,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpink_pixiex View Post
My husband and I live in California, born and raised. I have been wanting to move to the southern states for the last 5 or so years, but because of family and other reasons I have not been able to.
My reasoning for wanting to move to NC is because I am tired of California life. I want a slower paced, big yard, greenery, friendly people area. My husband is not fond of the humidity so I want to go somewhere it's not very humid.
I have never been to NC before so I can't say for sure that it will be the best place we'll go,but I know I want one of the southern states.
First, let me say, I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA.

Secondly, you will only escape the humidity of this wonderful state in winter. I have to be honest with you. February-May: everything you own (including your respiratory system) will be covered with pollen. If you don't have allergies now, you will once you move to NC. With that greenery you seek comes pollen.

With all that said, I am 22 years old and have lived here my entire life and will never leave. There's just something about this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina