Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:34 PM

195 posts, read 215,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
"I don't personally think moving anywhere MAKES you happy. Changing youir enviroment can be good, but it's not like taking some magic pill. However, if you are already happy with your life, but commute 4 hours a day, have to work your butt off just to pay your mortgage and taxes, can't even downsize because there's no where to go that's cheaper than where you currently live (no where safe, anyway), are sick and tired of the traffic, congestion, overdelopment, rudeness, etc., then it seems like no brainer to me.

I already wave to my neighbors, talk to people on line, smile at people walking down the street and stay involved in my church community. I'm just looking for a place where that seems to be the norm.

NC or any other state alone would not make me happy. BUT, happy + mortgage free + friendly+ warmer climate=ecstatic.

Oh, I also look forward to saying Merry Christmas to people without getting an icy glare. Small, but significant to me."

Jerseymom -- Exactly! I couldn't have said it better!
I agree 110%. While the wife and I will not be mortgage free, we will cut the payment in 1/2 (both are and will be new 2005 houses) and the sq ft will go up 700sqft. and the lot size from .5 to 1.0 or 1.7 for us, thats worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2006, 06:43 PM

13 posts, read 40,658 times
Default Lower Cost of Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I'm just curious. I see so many people on this forum and well, on my street, that come to NC in droves and just think this area is so great. I hear many different things, weather, economy, qualiy of life. But I was just wondering if some of you could be more specific? What about the weather, what about the quality of life. What is it exactly that you feel you will have so much better here than wherever you live now?
I know personally my husband and I are thinking of moving to NC because we just get sick and tired of working ourselves to the bone to just scrape by on an income that in some area's of the country it would be consider well off. My husband is a Truck driver by trade and I was with him last summer and saw a lot of the country and one of the areas I liked most was NC. I like TN,PA, Upstate NY and few other's that I can't think of off the top of my head. We currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area. We pay 1200/month for rent on a old run down house on the main drive through town it is going to be tore down for a new housing development of homes that will sell for 600 K+ that is the only reason our rent is so low yes you may laugh at that but for this area that is low. Directly across the street homes were built and are selling rapidly for 700 K+ and these home set on top of each other and there is no backyard or front yard to speak of. In about 1 maybe 2 years will have to move out and are faced with rent prices from 1500 to 2000 a month and are seriously considering leaving. We live in a beautiful area and can drive to the beach in about 30 minutes but the cost of living here has just become suffocating. We already have a good life otherwise we have a great marriage a wonderful daughter we just need a breather financially. So that would be my personal reason for moving there.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:18 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,033,818 times
Default truck driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofelover
: My husband is a Truck driver by trade and I was with him last summer and saw a lot of the country and one of the areas I liked most was NC.
I read an article in our local newspaper last week that both the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) and Charlotte were in the top 10-15 in the nation in the number of trucking jobs available. I doubt that he would have any trouble finding a job in those two areas.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 PM

676 posts, read 3,068,712 times
Default To I'minformed

I want to tell you, as you probably already know to count your blessings that you are able to go back to your hometown and be with your family. A lot of us no longer have that luxury hence the reason we are making the move. Sometimes I wish I grew up somewhere like North Dakota or Oklahoma and wasn't forced out of my hometown. Parents in CA or other expensive states have just come to realize their kids can't stay nearby. I have family and a huge network of friends we are leaving behind, but our friends and family don't pay our bills. We live on almost 95K and we can barely make our rent! Maybe it is selfish of me, but I really want to be on the right side of things for once - buying low and living a comfortable life. I am not one of the lucky people who are cashing out and living mortgage free. I am just trying to get my foot in the door and start a family. I am trying to eliminate any guilt about burdening NC natives with my presence by knowing I am going to help enhance their community by being a respected teacher and law abiding citizen. I am not going there to destroy, demand or expect. I understand other states' resentment with folks from CA in particular because they tend to be the ones who cash out and drive up home costs wherever they move, but just because I look and sound Californian - I am not part of their cool club! I am the one teaching their kids and being honked at because my old car doesn't go fast enough. I guess what I am really trying to say is if many of us had our way we would stay where we grew up, but for various reasons we are unable to do so or we are drastically enhancing our lifestyle by making this move. In your case, you made the move, it didn't work out and you are beyond lucky that you can go back to where you love. I wish you well and love that your kids get to experience their extended family again. If NC doesn't work out of us we are *****ed!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:55 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,592,446 times
Enlightenme, we're a teaching family leaving CA as well, but we're going to fit right in within NC because we detest what we're leaving behind! You can join our own new cool club. On the L.A. forum, I'm the one reminding people that L.A. is only liveable if you're quite wealthy, illegal or violent. There's no place for middle class Americans any more there...

Old 05-23-2006, 11:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,541,946 times
I have never actually been to LA but I do know I've heard that it's become horrible. Nobody speaks englsih, it's the most overpriced area in the county, and least friendly. Most of the middle class has moved to places like Arizona and Nevada right? And now supposedly the same thing is happening in those places? I am concerned that it would happen here. And well, everywhere. How do we break this pattern?

Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,729,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I have never actually been to LA but I do know I've heard that it's become horrible. Nobody speaks englsih, it's the most overpriced area in the county, and least friendly. Most of the middle class has moved to places like Arizona and Nevada right? And now supposedly the same thing is happening in those places? I am concerned that it would happen here. And well, everywhere. How do we break this pattern?
Stop the invasion from south of the border!!!

Old 05-24-2006, 09:02 AM

483 posts, read 1,562,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
Miss informed, are you actaully relocating back to Rochester ?? It seems as though for most people in this forum, moving to NC from new york and the other high tax areas is definitley a no brainer. Life is definitley what you make of it , but if a person can simplify their lives and spend better quality time with their children, then it is by far a no brainer. I am from Long Island and yes the people here are definitely a bit more on the angry side, but that is because of all the stress associated with trying to make it on the island and basically failing. That is why I am going to carolina.
You are 100% correct. My family and I are moving off of Long Island as well and heading south. We're tired of the rat race as well.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
5. Do not under any circumstance got through the fast food drive-ins, not unless you like surprises.
Thank you so much for your warm hospitality. By the way, could you give me an example of what you meant by 'surprises'? I have a 3 year old and it's not easy having her cooperate while standing on line in a store, so any place I can get to a drive-thru, the better.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
No more being scared or nervous. This forum has helped me gain a better insight about what to expect and has eased most of my fears. Every now and then someone will say something that will give me a wave of doubt, then I just remember we are doing what is best for our family and every new place takes time to adjust.
You'll always have some form of apprehension when making a move such as this one but eventually you will adjust. Our realtor moved to NC from NJ and told me that it can take anywhere from 6 mos to one year to adjust. The way I see it.....if you're willing to being open to making the adjustment, then the process will go much smoother. Just keep in mind that every month someone holds off on making the move, the more expensive it becomes. We signed a contract to our home last month and the new homes this month are selling for $20k more. Best of luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina