Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2007, 01:21 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times

Advertisements

tiredofcold,

it still gets cold here in the winter. Though not as cold and the duration up north ofcourse. Everything has tradeoffs. You would be trading that high heating bill for the high energy cost of the A/C from May to September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 02:15 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfCold View Post
The tone of this original message seems to be questioning the decision of those of us who wish to relocate to your fine area. I'm not sure if that is because you do not see what we see in your land or maybe you see the value all too well and want to keep it the way it is for yourselves. I know what it is like to have people from the "outside" invade your space. I grew up in the North End (pronounced as Noth End - we save the r's for other words that don't have any) of Boston. For those who have done the Freedom Trail in Boston you visited there if you went to Paul Revere's house or the Old North Church. My grandparents lived in the North End all their life after coming to this country from Italy. When I was growing up there (mid 1950's thru 60's) the area was 99.9% of Italian ancestory. It was like one big family. It was the only place my grandparents and parents knew. Slowly but surely families moved out for greener pastures of the suburbs and conversely those that came for our street feastivals and great restaurants began to move into the area. On top of the "fun" side of the area, it was a short walk to Boston's financial district. At the time it was also fairly cheap, especially for a city. Unfortunately the newcomers were not very well accepted. There was an initial period of turmoil but eventually things settled down. Today the area still has a European/Italian flavor but it is quite different. It is no longer the one big family it once was. Plus the cost of living there has skyrocketed so much that those families who never wanted to leave were often forced to do so for financial reasons. What's my point -regardless of whether I and others wished it never changed, it did. I still relish fond memories of what it was and am happy I had the chance to experience the joy of growing up in such a special place. But times change and we must follow. "The only constant is change" is all too true.

Getting back to the original question, there is much that I see in the various parts of NC I have visited. First and foremost as my pen name implies, my wife and I are growing tired of the cold New England weather. It's not that we mind the cold, but winter is just too long. Nice weather does not truly arrive until end of May and although Fall is beautiful here it's freezing cold again by October. Yes you have cold weather too, but the 4 seasons is a plus, especially considering the seasons are more evenly spread out.

I've read a lot about cost of living and have seen questions about whether it really is much different. Well I think it is. I moved from MA to NH 4 years ago. If I wanted to go back to MA (and I don't) it would be hard because real estate there has consistently increased at a steep rate. It has here in NH as well but not quite as much. We can buy a lot more home in NC than MA or NH.

As the home prices has gone up so have the property taxes. I pay almost 9,0000 on my current home assessed at $547k. We have no state income tax, but once I retire this will save me nothing and my RE tax alone will be over 10K once they raise our tax rate because of the new junior and senior high schools. In NC a comparable home may cost a bit less and I expect to pay a little more than half of my current taxes. Sure I'll have to pay tax on even food in NC but that should amount to about $350/year. Also I pay a budget payment of $360 /month for 10 months to my gas company for heat and hot water. And we keep the heat on 66-68 degrees (downside to the open foyer and high ceilings). I expect my heating bill to be about half in NC - more if we downsize the home a bit.

It's hard to quantify quality of life issues but these are also a factor. I know you have traffic (and fear even more of it as your population expands), but quite honestly it's not so bad compared to the extent of traffic in the northeast. Also the congestion/density of people in the northeast is much worse. I look forward to less people to compete with and a somewhat slower pace of life.

Sorry for the long post but I am looking forward to a new chapter in my life. We hope to be your neighbors by next summer and hope to enjoy NC for a long time and to contribute back to our new community. Let us never forget how lucky we all are to have won in the lottery of life by virtue of being born in the greatest country in the world where there are so many choices and the freedom to pursue them.

You can live by me and my neighbors! Me from Calif. and Italian and my neighbors from New York are Italian

Old 01-27-2007, 06:09 AM

7 posts, read 29,218 times
Default Start a restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
You can live by me and my neighbors! Me from Calif. and Italian and my neighbors from New York are Italian
Maybe we can start a restaurant - but first a question - what do you call tomato sauce? We refer to it as "gravy".

Can you get canoli down there? I remember being in Columbus, Ohio and somewhat took me to what they called the best Italian restaurant in the city. For dessert I tried to order a canoli but they never heard of it.

Also for the other comments about it getting cold in NC too, everything is relative. I'll take NC cold!

Looking forward to our vist of the area in Feb!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:26 AM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
I like the idea of a restaurant but i also think Italian Deli with the best sandwiches around!
From my California/Sicilian roots we have always called it "sauce". I have heard gravy but i believe its mostly used in the north- am i right?
Cannoli's, i've seen them and Harris Teeter even sells the shells but the stuff ( no riccota) they put inside was all wrong!
What area you checking out in Feb.?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:03 PM

29 posts, read 99,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
I hate to burst your bubble but it will not change and people are comming no matter what.Get used to it
Thanks for your concern about my bubble, but you need to get used to my point of view if you're coming here. There's a lot more here that feel the same way. (oh, and you Yankees should work on your spelling - "comming")

Old 02-06-2007, 09:08 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Me too bud..LOL we are below freezing right now and very dangerous...and well Corn you one of the FEW native NC people that seem to think people arent going to continue to move there???? and if you were forced to leave NC guess what? you would go somewhere else and be called whatever name they choose there....so I think you need to get used to the idea with more Northerns' as well as floridians and californians coming in there will more choices of food and shopping....Its just the cycle of LIfe, and people are entilted to live anywhere they choose and if they think they will change a Culture then let them think they will, there is nothing one can do but do what you have always done.....

Old 02-06-2007, 09:28 PM

29 posts, read 99,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
...and well Corn you one of the FEW native NC people that seem to think people arent going to continue to move there???? and if you were forced to leave NC guess what? you would go somewhere else and be called whatever name they choose there....so I think you need to get used to the idea with more Northerns' as well as floridians and californians coming in there will more choices of food and shopping....Its just the cycle of LIfe, and people are entilted to live anywhere they choose and if they think they will change a Culture then let them think they will, there is nothing one can do but do what you have always done.....
I'm just trying to give you a fairer representation of what things are like on a board that seems to be dominated by Northerners and real estate agents. The previous poster didn't like my opinion and told me that I just needed to "get used to it". I never will because I see a way of life disappearing and our home being turned into one giant city. I don't have to like what is happening to my state, even though others are ecstatic about it.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:34 PM

349 posts, read 1,039,964 times
Thumbs up Well said NJ

Well said NJ mom! Last time I checked I lived in the USA, and I was disabled serving my country, and should hope that entitles me and ANYONE else to move wherever that may be that makes us happy. So this damn Yankee is coming whether I am wanted or not. It is my one opportunity to live near my only sister. So I hope at least one native will welcome me in from a very cold Ohio winter. Peace to all and well wishes!

Old 02-06-2007, 09:38 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
Corn - I may be from MD but I do feel for you. My reason for moving to Union County was my hometown was being overrun from city folks moving in. My hometown in MD use to consist of 3000 people when I was growing up and is now 20000. Believe me, I honestly know how you feel. My reason for moving was for the over congestion of a small farm town in rural Carroll County MD as well as my ability to actually raise my kids. Before I worked from 6am to 7pm and my parents were raising my kids. Now I work part time and able to stay home more with them.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:27 PM

62 posts, read 322,019 times
Default You have to ask why

I planned my move from a large Florida city to NC for over 10 years. There was always some obstacle in the way. A few years ago when the door opened, not only did I open it, I ran through it. Why?
I wanted a simpler life, rural life, 4 seasons, small town friendly, live in the hills, have mountains and streams nearby.
I bit the bullet and accept having to pay state income tax and pay the silly annual auto tax. Even while paying for these extra expenses, I still feel richer. Richer in life that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina