Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2007, 10:17 AM

3,666 posts, read 6,550,368 times

Advertisements

On the quantative side:
- more affordable housing (I can buy a home in NC for 1/3 the NY price)
- lower cost of living (gas is cheaper ($.25 per gallon) fast food is cheaper...)
- warmer weather (as I write it's in the teens in NY)
- less congested (shocking to indigenous NC-ers but still true)

On the qualitative side:
- slower pace (slower doesn't mean slow)
- family values (too many latch key kids where I'm coming from)

Expectations are that what we (or anyone) put into being in NC is exactly proportionate to what we'll get out of the experience. A better life is not automatic and cheaper housing is only relative in the end to what your income is at any point in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 11:02 AM

34 posts, read 87,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
wow....this is the only place that has jobs, affordable housing and "acceptable" weather huh? I guess the country as a whole is screwed then.

Wow I hope that was meant to be a funny friendly comment Wouldn't want ppl planning on moving here to think we are anything else than right neighborly

Old 02-11-2007, 11:04 AM

Smile Welcome:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
On the quantative side:
- more affordable housing (I can buy a home in NC for 1/3 the NY price)
- lower cost of living (gas is cheaper ($.25 per gallon) fast food is cheaper...)
- warmer weather (as I write it's in the teens in NY)
- less congested (shocking to indigenous NC-ers but still true)

On the qualitative side:
- slower pace (slower doesn't mean slow)
- family values (too many latch key kids where I'm coming from)

Expectations are that what we (or anyone) put into being in NC is exactly proportionate to what we'll get out of the experience. A better life is not automatic and cheaper housing is only relative in the end to what your income is at any point in time.
So very true... I hope to welcome you and yours soon!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 AM

Smile Welcome:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
Well said NJ mom! Last time I checked I lived in the USA, and I was disabled serving my country, and should hope that entitles me and ANYONE else to move wherever that may be that makes us happy. So this damn Yankee is coming whether I am wanted or not. It is my one opportunity to live near my only sister. So I hope at least one native will welcome me in from a very cold Ohio winter. Peace to all and well wishes!
I for one welcome you.... I am originally from the north and moved here 9 yrs ago. I love everything about it here and plan on drawing my last breath on this Mtn. You will find winter is almost non existent compared to where I am from and being snowed in for 5 days at a time! UUgg I do not miss it!

Hope ya enjoy NC and all it has to offer!

Shea

Old 02-11-2007, 02:29 PM

349 posts, read 1,035,922 times
Default Thanks Shea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
I for one welcome you.... I am originally from the north and moved here 9 yrs ago. I love everything about it here and plan on drawing my last breath on this Mtn. You will find winter is almost non existent compared to where I am from and being snowed in for 5 days at a time! UUgg I do not miss it!

Hope ya enjoy NC and all it has to offer!

Shea
Thank you so much I sure appreciate it. I'm nervous enough about relocating, but not to be welcome frightens me. Thanks for the uplift.
Beth

Old 02-11-2007, 02:42 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,070,184 times
At the LEAST, please support the home team when you move here. It was down right embarrasing when the Philadelphia Eagles played the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte last time. There were more Eagles fans than Panthers. It was as if the Eagles were playing at home! When the crowd roared, you would have expected the Panthers to have made a touch down, but it was the other way around.

The announcers even commented on it several times, one claiming that "the Eagles fans are very loyal and travel with the team." That was false, the fact was most of the Eagles fans lived here.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:08 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,519,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
At the LEAST, please support the home team when you move here. It was down right embarrasing when the Philadelphia Eagles played the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte last time. There were more Eagles fans than Panthers. It was as if the Eagles were playing at home! When the crowd roared, you would have expected the Panthers to have made a touch down, but it was the other way around.

The announcers even commented on it several times, one claiming that "the Eagles fans are very loyal and travel with the team." That was false, the fact was most of the Eagles fans lived here.
I'll definitely be cheering for the Panthers next fall. It takes a good season or two to get your previous team on the back burner mentally...

Old 02-12-2007, 07:31 AM

349 posts, read 1,035,922 times
Carolina native...I very well will support the Panthers, I rather like them anyways. Plus my sis is real thrilled about me relocating to the area. My hubby already doing count down as to how many days left at the bakery he currently works, hoping to get into Sara Lee there with his yrs of experience here, and hoping to find that quiet, peaceful life I'm looking for.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:48 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,246,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread View Post
Thanks for your concern about my bubble, but you need to get used to my point of view if you're coming here. There's a lot more here that feel the same way. (oh, and you Yankees should work on your spelling - "comming")

Cornie, I too will move to the Western NC for the rural lifestyle and beauty of the mountains, the opportunity for hiking, backpacking, and other outdoor recreation. I have been enjoying the mountains there for many years and I feel I have an appreciation of the area. I think it is YOU that had better get use to the people who are moving there. I, and many others will move there inspite of attitudes, and yes, people like you. There are plenty of warm neighborly people who will welcome nice people and good neighbors. Of course there will probably be plenty of people like you who resent what they feel as the invasion. Funny though, people have been moving to Florida for years and people here do not feel resentful or upset about it as some in NC do.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:19 PM

146 posts, read 636,934 times
Default Cheering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post

Are you relying on newcomers (mostly northerners) to cheer the panthers at their stadium when the natives are sitting home? Many diehard fans travel to away playoff games if tickets can be bought. I guess there were plenty at the box office for the Eagle fans. Go NY GIANTS and NY YANKEES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina