Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 PM

45 posts, read 102,396 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Is NC medicare/medicaid program available for people below certain income level? My mom who is 58 yrs old does not work. I support her. In MN she is able to get health and dental insurance coverage through the state. The question I have is if we relocate to NC, will she be able to get medical and dental assistant through the state? I also see that NC opted out of the federal ACA program. It is important to know because while I support her financially, private health insurance would be too expensive for me to afford.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 05:59 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMom07 View Post
Is NC medicare/medicaid program available for people below certain income level?
My mom who is 58 yrs old does not work. I support her.
Does she qualify for medicare now?

Quote:
I also see that NC opted out of the federal ACA program.
Subsidized HI + ACA + NC LINK

Old 07-12-2013, 06:03 PM

23 posts, read 47,973 times
A lot is age wise and if she is disabled. If she is receiving disability through social security, they automatically qualify. You can go to the state website and walk through the qualifier to see if she will qualify.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:03 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Is NC medicare/medicaid program available for people below certain income level? My mom who is 58 yrs old does not work. I support her. In MN she is able to get health and dental insurance coverage through the state. The question I have is if we relocate to NC, will she be able to get medical and dental assistant through the state?
I think that she would be eligible for Medicaid only if she were disabled, supporting a child or getting Medicare for some other reason. The state's criteria for Medicaid are here: NC DMA: Who is eligible for Medicaid

Old 07-12-2013, 06:40 PM

In MN she is eligible for Medical Assistant which is part of the state Medicaid program. She is not disable or anything. She qualifies because she doesn't work therefore she met the income requirement.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
In MN she is eligible for Medical Assistant which is part of the state Medicaid program. She is not disable or anything. She qualifies because she doesn't work therefore she met the income requirement.
That is an optional part of Medicaid which Minnesota has and North Carolina does not. NC has never been a liberal state in providing public benefits.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-12-2013 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 07:09 PM

So NC does not have any medical assistance available to low income people at all? Not even if it means paying a part of the premium just as long as it is not expensive like going out on your own to purchase health insurance?

If not currently, then with NC choosing to go the private route on ACA, will there be more affordable health insurance for low income people? If she can't get assistant somehow then moving to NC is pretty not an option.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
If not currently, then with NC choosing to go the private route on ACA,
will there be more affordable health insurance for low income people?
Not likely. Based on what the NCGA and Gov McCheese are doing with other issues (like UE)...
it appears they are actively trying to get the poor to up and leave NC.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:29 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,754 times
Not quite sure how things will shake out with ACA and private exchanges. It may look like Inclusive Health, which is the state's high risk insurance pool but perhaps with lower rates? Not sure, that is pure speculation.

Depending on where you would move to in NC, there may be charity programs administered on the county level that would cover low-income people for free. For medical needs, there is Project Access in at least Wake County, Durham County, Johnston County (all around the Triangle/RTP area) as well as Buncombe (Asheville) County. It gets you access to donated office care, labs, testing, hospital access although it may vary a little by county. Here is a link to Wake County Project Access: Project Access of Wake County | Home

Info on Safety Net Dental Clinics that offer sliding scales for payment: NC Oral Health: Safety Net Dental Clinics

Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
MediCARE is generally only available to those over 65.

MediCAID is available to the poor, but the eligibility for groups other than children, seniors, and blind/disabled is quite difficult. Read the links posted to eligibility.

Quote:
Be aware that Medicaid is state-administered and every state's program is different. You cannot count on the same benefits between MN and NC. It takes more than "not working" to qualify, particularly between the ages of 21 and 64 (it is VERY hard to get Medicaid in that age range). BTW, I work in Medicaid.

However, it may be that Obamacare will change availability to people like your mother. NC, however, chose not to expand Medicaid (which might have included her) so it is not one of the best states for her to move to if she is "benefit-shopping".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina