U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 09:37 AM

32 posts, read 150,162 times

Advertisements

Hello! We're planning to relocate from N. CA. to NC and were wondering if those who have ventured before us could please share any ideas or company names for shipping household (container?) and cars??

We're moving A LOT of furniture (4 BR). Trying to figure out what trucking company is most dependable/affordable. Do they supply the shipping container? We have experience with containers having moved to/from the Hwn islands a couple of times.

With the cost of fuel being what it is, my concern that trucking our "stuff" 2,913 miles (I checked the exact number ) could be VERY expensive!

Thanks for any advice.

~cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:08 AM

571 posts, read 922,946 times
Hi,
We too are also moving to NC from CA (southern), and have found that ABF U-Pack has the best deal. If you are willing to pack and load on your own, they seem to be the way to go. They are much cheaper than the major moving companies and are a good deal cheaper than PODS. They bring a trailer to your location, and you have 3 days to pack it (PODS gives you up to a month). Once it is delivered, you have another three days to unpack it. They charge for the 1st 16 feet of the trailer and then $95 for each additional foot that is used. Their website indicates that they use the additional space to transport commercial cargo. I have not used them before, but have read reviews here and elsewhere on the web and they appear to be quite reliable. Best of luck on your move!
Anita

Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 AM

Thanks, Anitajas! This is VERY helpful. We'll definately follow up with ABF U-Pack. I recall seeing their web site before. We're definately willing to to do the packing/loading if it will make the whole move feasible!

Best of luck to you too!

...So long California, it's been real fun!...

Old 07-12-2008, 01:51 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,453,281 times
You're both gonna love NC!! I moved from S CA almost two years ago now and wouldn't ever go back!!! I'm HOME now!!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:32 AM

dawnell... Glad you found my post helpful... we are most likely going to use ABF when we move. We are planning to move in Oct/Nov of this year. If you move before that time, and do use ABF, could you relate your experience once you have moved? I would be curious to hear about your experience and about any tips you might be able to offer to make the move more efficient. Again, best of luck on your move!

Thank you, cynwldkat for your post! I have to say that when we have visited the area we are moving to, I felt a sense of "home" that I have not experienced anywhere else. I am so excited about this new chapter of our lives! I have to admit, I was just reading another post relating to the bugs in NC, and I had a moment of apprehension, but then I read your post and feel positive again!

Warm regards,

Anita

Old 07-13-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You're both gonna love NC!! I moved from S CA almost two years ago now and wouldn't ever go back!!! I'm HOME now!!
It's great to hear positive reinforcement!! What part of NC did you move to?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:56 AM

Anitajas - We're not sure of our move date yet, depends on the sale of our home here in CA. If we move sooner, I'll definately share our experience!

May I ask where in NC you are planning to move? We're moving to Wilmington area due to the fact that my husband and I LOVE and miss the ocean. The company I work for has a large office in RTP, but fortunately, I telecommute a lot. I'd only have to commute to Ralaeigh fairly infrequently.

Good luck on your move!! Thanks again for the referral.

Last edited by dawneel; 07-13-2008 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: add name

Old 07-15-2008, 09:27 AM

24 posts, read 55,419 times
Default Penske is cheapest or try all the container co's

sure you want to leave N CA? I want to move back to CA

Old 07-15-2008, 10:43 AM

Hi Dawneel,

We will be moving to the Winston-Salem area which is in the NW part of the state. The rolling green hills and abundant water/trees are just beautiful! The mountains are nearby and the coast close enough for a weekend excursion... we find it is perfect for us!

Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawneel View Post
Anitajas - We're not sure of our move date yet, depends on the sale of our home here in CA. If we move sooner, I'll definately share our experience!

May I ask where in NC you are planning to move? We're moving to Wilmington area due to the fact that my husband and I LOVE and miss the ocean. The company I work for has a large office in RTP, but fortunately, I telecommute a lot. I'd only have to commute to Ralaeigh fairly infrequently.

Good luck on your move!! Thanks again for the referral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina