U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:48 AM

48 posts, read 213,431 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving south from NH this fall and love Raleigh--we have been there a few times. However, we have the option of moving to Greenville SC instead. I have looked into Greenville online (never been there) and it seems so beautiful and the surrounding towns appear to be safe. We would move to a surrounding town of either Raleigh or Greenville, SC. We have a three year old. We have never been to Greenville, so need your help!
Those of you who have seen both areas, which would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 11:50 AM

9,074 posts, read 18,625,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveNC View Post
My family will be moving south from NH this fall and love Raleigh--we have been there a few times. However, we have the option of moving to Greenville SC instead. I have looked into Greenville online (never been there) and it seems so beautiful and the surrounding towns appear to be safe. We would move to a surrounding town of either Raleigh or Greenville, SC. We have a three year old. We have never been to Greenville, so need your help!
Those of you who have seen both areas, which would you choose?
I would choose Raleigh hands down simply becasue there are way more employment opportunities here in the Triangle area (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill) than there are in Greenville, SC. But I guess a lot depends on what you do for a living and your reason for moving.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:37 PM

885 posts, read 1,408,607 times
Raleigh hands down. Greenville is nice, but Raleigh has more depth and opportunities.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:07 PM

471 posts, read 565,224 times
There is quite a lot of engineering work (power/process/nuke) in and around Greenville SC. I'm currently in Raleigh, but my first choice was Greenville, closer to the mountains and has not seen the crazy growth that this area has. But it is also true that overall it is a smaller market...

Old 07-14-2008, 06:15 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,795,112 times
Greenville has the Red Sox Class A team. Raleigh has the Tampa Rays' AAA affiliate. Easy decision.

- geoff from boston

Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 PM

769 posts, read 845,237 times
I've lived in both, but I was single when I lived in Greenville. I would never live there again. It's an incredibly conservative, religious town. I lived there in the mid-late 90s and Bob Jones University was a huge influence. It was calm, quiet and cheap, but boring and stifling.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM

885 posts, read 1,408,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
I've lived in both, but I was single when I lived in Greenville. I would never live there again. It's an incredibly conservative, religious town. I lived there in the mid-late 90s and Bob Jones University was a huge influence. It was calm, quiet and cheap, but boring and stifling.
Sad but true. It's fits more into the southern stereotype paradigm. Raleigh is a hybrid of the Mid-Atlantic and somewhat New South.

However if that's what your after more power to you.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM

3,494 posts, read 6,541,881 times
Greenville has changed drastically in the past 2 years - its not as cosmopolitan as Raleigh, but the city is very beautiful, the new park over the falls and the surrounding development is one of the best examples of revitalization in a city I've seen. The center of city now focuses on the rivers and falls, and there are regular outdoor concerts, tons of restaurants, and active culture at the Peace Center. Plus, its only a couple hours from Asheville and the Smokey Mtns.

Many people are moving from Charlotte and the North to the Greenville-Greer area, and you owe it to yourself to at least check the area out for yourself. Two years ago it wouldn't even have been a topic for debate, but these days, both are good choices.

For job opportunities, there's BMW, Michelin, Clemson's new research park, some banking, etc. Raleigh has a bigger market with RTP nearby, its the state capital, etc.

I will say that NC's school system trumps SC's, and Wake schools are very good to boot. If you want a small city feel, Greenville is an excellent place, if you want a larger city, Raleigh is an excellent city.

Since both cities are so nice, don't leave this decision to the opinions of others.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:43 AM

305 posts, read 469,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Sad but true. It's fits more into the southern stereotype paradigm. Raleigh is a hybrid of the Mid-Atlantic and somewhat New South.

However if that's what your after more power to you.
I third that. Raleigh is a much more laid-back place.

Compared to Raleigh, Greenville is incredibly conservative town.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 PM

48 posts, read 213,431 times
Default Thanks

Thank you everyone for your input. I like to see the reasons why places are important to people and this forum has been such a help to my family!
Thanks again for your input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina