U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:32 AM

371 posts, read 1,115,238 times

Advertisements

Needless to say second hand smoke is disgusting and harmful, but in Cali I was happy that the smoking ban (even at open beaches ) would decrease the nasty cigarette butts everywhere. I will never understand why so many smokers think the world is their ashetray. Every car has an ashetray ( but they toss them out the window) and most places have something outside the door (like outside the food store, but they'll toss the butt on the ground)). It's a habit that affects everyone in a negative way, except the CEO's making $.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:21 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,629,298 times
Default Stay on Topic

Please restrict your posts to tobacco use in NC. Do not post about your personal preferences, your individual health problems or smoking restrictions in other states. Use the Health Forum for that.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:15 PM

89 posts, read 279,548 times
Default re" from Cali also here used to NON smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
I am from CA.

I have never smoked.

I hate smoke.

I was alarmed the first time I went to a restaurant upon moving here and they asked "smoking or non?"

Ultimately, it hasn't been a major issue - there have been times in a mixed bar/restaurant where someone nearby is smoking, but not enough to make me think I should have taken it more into account when deciding to move here.

Besides, it's only a matter of time before laws get passed I'd surmise.

Im moving to Raleigh next month and cant wait, but as I said its really if you google place you like to go (restaurants, etc) and see who doesnt allow it. As far as the daycares that allow it, thats something Id deff check for before placing any child in one!

Last edited by mm34b; 07-20-2008 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Edited to topic - North Carolina.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,919,004 times
There are noooo daycares here that allow it!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:44 AM

2,270 posts, read 8,260,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grailmaiden View Post
We are considering relocating to the Triangle area, however, I have recently been hearing a lot about how many people in North Carolina smoke and that there are no bans on smoking anywhere. I even found a site that stated that people are allowed to smoke in daycare centers! That is appalling to me! I am ridiculously allergic to smoke and I don't want my kids exposed to it. Is the problem really as bad as it seems?
Everything is relative. If you are coming from CA, you might find the smoking a little surprising. If you've spent time outside the US in Europe or Asia, you won't find this as bad. While there are not a lot of state laws banning smoking, there ARE a lot of local ordinances and a lot of individual businesses that ban smoking. Things have steadily improved here, and while NC got a late start to reducing public smoking it is definitely way less than it was and it continues to improve.

No one smokes in day care centers. I can't think of the last time I ate in a restaurant with a smoking section, since I either eat in kid-oriented restaurants, or in "foodie" oriented restaurants for date night. When I was living in MN and would come back and visit the area I was shocked at the smoking in malls, but malls have generally now banned smoking.

I am personally still a little startled at the number of cigarette butts in parks, but Raleigh is looking at banning smoking in parks and that should improve soon too.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 AM

331 posts, read 1,199,026 times
We just moved from California and it really threw me for a loop when we stopped at a restaurant on our way into town for the first time and they asked "smoking or non smoking". But we could not smell the smoke in our section and now we have been to a few restaurants in the area and have not had any problems. We did stop in and sat at a bar for a drink and there were quite a few smokers. But that was really the only place I felt a little uncomfortable.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:18 PM

8 posts, read 21,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
I am from CA.

I have never smoked.

I hate smoke.

I was alarmed the first time I went to a restaurant upon moving here and they asked "smoking or non?"

Ultimately, it hasn't been a major issue - there have been times in a mixed bar/restaurant where someone nearby is smoking, but not enough to make me think I should have taken it more into account when deciding to move here.

Besides, it's only a matter of time before laws get passed I'd surmise.
My experience exactly. It can be annoying at times and I have left one area of a restaurant for another but in genral it's not an issue.
However, I did once get take out from Piper's Tavern and the food smelled and tsted like smoke. But hey, at least they are open about what you're in for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina