U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-20-2007, 12:18 PM

34 posts, read 120,449 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a position with in Asheville and will be relocating in April-May. My hubby and I are huge bluegrass and country western music fans. . .where [in that area] are the best placed to hear our favorite music? And, do you have a radios station that place good country? As Brooks and Dunn say "I'm a George Strait junkie"! Saw him last February and he put on the best show I'd ever seen in my life! It helped that we had 7th row seats. We were so close I could see the George Strait collection label in his shirt!! Thanks for your help folks!
tumbleweedz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 12:41 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,410,715 times
Don't know about straightahead C&W (I'm more an alt.country fan myself), but western NC has an AWESOME station, WNCW, that's a big AAA (adult album alternative) radio station playing great rock and singer-songwriter music during the week. On the weekends, they have a more eclectic mix... including an 8-hour bluegrass show!

Saturday 11 am 7 pm
Yes! Eight hours of the best traditional and contemporary Bluegrass music played by WNCWs own Bluegrass expert Dennis Jones. WNCW is your flagship Bluegrass station!

www.wncw.org for more info.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:03 PM

10,302 posts, read 16,869,820 times
You're gonna love Asheville - lots of bluegrass here! I'm a newbie myself to the town, but I believe Jack of the Wood downtown has bluegrass night, also celtic music night. And most of the local festivals include plenty of bluegrass. Great music scene in general here, IMO, especially for a small town like this!

Old 01-20-2007, 05:26 PM

2,357 posts, read 339,207 times
Asheville, NC and Galax, VA are two places that come to mind. Galax is sort of a traditional bluegrass mecca.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:49 AM

34 posts, read 120,449 times
Thanks for the info!! Me and my husband love to dance so there's nothin' like bluegrass to get you up and movin'! How about country two steppin' any place for that in or near Asheville?

Old 01-28-2007, 10:20 AM

5,660 posts, read 18,227,258 times
Begun in 1988 as a tribute to musician Eddy Merle Watson (1949-85), MerleFest in Wilkesboro (pop. 3,159) has blossomed into one of the nation’s largest “Americana music” events, attracting 80,000 visitors and top entertainers each April. Merle was the son of musician Doc Watson.

Held since 1924, the Fiddler's Grove Ole Time Fiddler's and Bluegrass Festival in Union Grove is the nation's oldest continuous old-fashioned fiddle contest. Workshops and contests promote traditional bluegrass at the Memorial Day weekend gathering.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:44 PM

3 posts, read 23,435 times
I live in Old Fort which is about 30 minutes east of Asheville and we have live Mountain Music every Friday night...If you ever want to come down and see it, get off at exit 72 I believe...(the first exit for Old Fort,) and follow the main street into town, and it will be on your left on Main Street, across from Gibbs Hardware and the Old Fort Fire Dept.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:31 AM

938 posts, read 2,283,361 times
We attended the first annual Yadkin Valley Fidler's Contest in Happy Valley two years ago. We were out of town last year but it is a great day!
I forget the website but there is a "music road" or "blue grass road" in south west VA. Sorry I cannot remember the name but you should search for it. It lists many festivals in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina