Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: buying a new home, real estate, realtor, great schools, internet work from home.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,209 times

Advertisements

Hi, we currently live in Eastern FL (DH & almost 4-yr old). Been here for 10 yrs (I'm originally from MA and he's English).

I work from home (great job in sales - couldn't commute to an office again). So, we can pretty much live anywhere I can get a cable modem connection.

We'd love to be on a lake (that we can boat/ski/swim on), love the idea of some seasonal changes, but not long, freezing winters. Also, we'd like to be close enough to drive to the ocean/beach for a weekend on occasion.

Need good school system, some culture would be nice (not ballet, but some fun plays, concerts, art fairs, etc.).

My parents are aging so we'd like to ultimately find a house with about 4-5 bedrooms, along with an in-law suite/apt. (w/separate kitchen/bed/bath). We can spend around $500-$600K for a house and while I think the overall cost of living is cheaper in NC, FL has no income tax, so we figure overall it'll be a wash - the govt gets you one way or another, right?!

We'd like a place with friendly, laid-back families, but people with pride of ownership in their homes (the fewer trailer parks the better), and those with either higher education or strong life experiences. We're definitely more on the liberal side of the political fence, and while spiritual, are not very "religious" overall. We like a church with open thinking and welcoming to all, with a strong sense of community (no fire & brimstone needed).

Definitely need a strong school system with lots of kids and involved parents.

This would be our utopia! Any chance of finding it somewhere in NC?

Thanks for any advice, comments, suggestions.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:19 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
You've got Lake Norman (Charlotte), Lake Wylie (Charlotte), Lake James (Mountains), Lake Toxaway (Mountains), Lake MacIntosh (Piedmont-Triad), Hidden Lake (Raleigh), Kerr Scott Lake (Mountains), Lake Lure (Mountains), High Rock Lake (Piedmont-Triad).

Old 07-21-2008, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,209 times
Thanks much! I found all of those ([URL="http://www.lakehouse.com"]www.lakehouse.com[/URL] is a great site), but wondered if any one is better than another for a couple with a little kid. Is any more suburban vs. rural? Closest to a major airport? You can't really get a feel for a place unless you hear from those who are from there or have moved there.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:35 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanLiveAnywhere View Post
Hi, we currently live in Eastern FL (DH & almost 4-yr old). Been here for 10 yrs (I'm originally from MA and he's English).

I work from home (great job in sales - couldn't commute to an office again). So, we can pretty much live anywhere I can get a cable modem connection.

We'd love to be on a lake (that we can boat/ski/swim on), love the idea of some seasonal changes, but not long, freezing winters. Also, we'd like to be close enough to drive to the ocean/beach for a weekend on occasion.

Need good school system, some culture would be nice (not ballet, but some fun plays, concerts, art fairs, etc.).

My parents are aging so we'd like to ultimately find a house with about 4-5 bedrooms, along with an in-law suite/apt. (w/separate kitchen/bed/bath). We can spend around $500-$600K for a house and while I think the overall cost of living is cheaper in NC, FL has no income tax, so we figure overall it'll be a wash - the govt gets you one way or another, right?!

We'd like a place with friendly, laid-back families, but people with pride of ownership in their homes (the fewer trailer parks the better), and those with either higher education or strong life experiences. We're definitely more on the liberal side of the political fence, and while spiritual, are not very "religious" overall. We like a church with open thinking and welcoming to all, with a strong sense of community (no fire & brimstone needed).

Definitely need a strong school system with lots of kids and involved parents.

This would be our utopia! Any chance of finding it somewhere in NC?

Thanks for any advice, comments, suggestions.

Have a great day!

Google Lake James - about 50 minutes east of Asheville. If I were going to live on a lake anywhere in NC, this would be it for me.

DM'ed you a link since we can't post that here I love that area of the state!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:42 PM

11 posts, read 20,778 times
Default Creedmoor

We live in Creedmoor, which is located close enough for a daily commute to Raleigh or Durham. There are several lakes within a close car trip, many bike trails and plenty to door outdoors in all seasons.
Creedmoor has a more friendly price range to their homes, although property taxes are higher than you may find elsewhere. I moved here in July of 2006, from Florida and have been very happy here! We live in a development off of I-85 and it takes me 17-22 minutes to get to Durham. I like the small town appeal, (with the city close by when I want it to be).
This is a child friendly area and I can honestly say that I would recommend it to anyone.
Hope this helps!
Jennifer

Old 10-04-2008, 02:30 PM

123 posts, read 511,679 times
Take a peek a 7 Lakes, in West End, NC. Gated community (and 7 lakes). Houses more than fit your budget. Well kept community with a good school system. Within an hour of Raleigh/Greensboro. @ 3 hours to the beach. 15 minutes to a variety of shopping (Belks, Best Buy, Lowes hardware, etc).
7 lakes has boating, golf, tennis and stables all within the community.
Definitely a solid Republican County, although that is subject to change with the influx of transplants.
Check out Moore County, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina