Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:55 AM

25 posts, read 18,269 times

Advertisements

New to this forum.

Hello. I am looking to move to one of the carolinas from New Jersey. I am just interested in places in NC right now. Have never been to NC, only driven through. I am set on the carolinas due to the weather vs NJ. In NJ, you sit in the house for 4 months a year in the winter. I really like to see green more than 3 months in the summer.

The following are important to me where I move:
1. I am a registered nurse so a good hospital/trauma unit should be within a 45 minute drive
2. Location would have to be outdoors friendly including bike paths, summer festivals/parties, local attractions, good restaurants etc for my family.
3. I would ideally like a little bit of land, i like big backyards
4. An area that is very friendly, and not racist.
5. And if i could avoid high housing/land costs when i purchase a home

I know #5 might be unreasonable, but just being optimistic. I have looked on the net at places like wake forest and chapel hill. They seem very nice, but the housing in fairly high. Maybe there are similar places like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:29 AM

22 posts, read 26,319 times
Hi np,

We just went to Raleigh this weekend from NJ because we had never been and are looking to relocate as well. Where from in NJ?! We kind of had the same criteria in mind for our search, especially a friendly community because we'd be going down knowing nobody. I really liked the Cary area because it's more developed and has a homey feel to me (being from NJ I need less rural). It's funny, they say you get more land in Holly Springs, Apex, or Fuquay, but the land size in Cary was just fine (bigger backyards in Cary; 2400-2600 sq foot homes on .2ish acres vs 4000 sq on same acres changes the dimension of the actual yard A LOT).

What is your price point for buying? What field do you work in? We want to stay, ideally, under 4, which you can find in Cary. Holly Springs is definitely nice/ we looked in Holly Glen (subdivision) but it just felt a little too far from things for me.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:32 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Check out the Rowan County area. Located between WS and Charlotte. You can find land that is still low cost with a small city (Salisbury) that has good restaurants and some night life as well as an Novant Medical Center and large VA.

As an ex-Jersey-an I find the area to be very nice and friendly.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:30 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npsmith0485 View Post
1. I am a registered nurse so a good hospital/trauma unit should be within a 45 minute drive
5. And if i could avoid high housing/land costs when i purchase a home
Look into Winston-Salem and surrounding towns. It has the hospitals, the attractions and outdoor recreation, and reasonable prices. But please actually visit a few areas before you commit to a job.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:34 AM

I actually am a nursing student, but will graduate in December. Save for a year or 2, then buy for hopefully under 350k. And i live in Ocean County. I've also lived in Atlantic and Cape May County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmaBSN View Post
Hi np,

We just went to Raleigh this weekend from NJ because we had never been and are looking to relocate as well. Where from in NJ?! We kind of had the same criteria in mind for our search, especially a friendly community because we'd be going down knowing nobody. I really liked the Cary area because it's more developed and has a homey feel to me (being from NJ I need less rural). It's funny, they say you get more land in Holly Springs, Apex, or Fuquay, but the land size in Cary was just fine (bigger backyards in Cary; 2400-2600 sq foot homes on .2ish acres vs 4000 sq on same acres changes the dimension of the actual yard A LOT).

What is your price point for buying? What field do you work in? We want to stay, ideally, under 4, which you can find in Cary. Holly Springs is definitely nice/ we looked in Holly Glen (subdivision) but it just felt a little too far from things for me.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I actually am a nursing student, but will graduate in December.
With no experience, you should be prepared for a long job search, as there are plenty of local graduates competing. I think you should be willing to go to an un-popular rural location to get some experience first. (And you need to be realistic about racism in rural areas, as it still exists.)

Do you have a spouse or fiance who also needs a job?

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-09-2016 at 08:47 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
The best places in NC will cost more. You sure you want to spend 350K?

In terms of value, Greenville has been consistently listed as one of the best value's in the State and has a major medical center.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:46 AM

I will be waiting a year or 2 before i go. That is what i meant.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I will be waiting a year or 2 before i go. That is what i meant.
You might look into places with multiple locations like the Veterans Administration, or the CVS Minute Clinics. I also suggest using your school's placement office to locate jobs. Then you can come back and ask the forum about specific locations, and whether they would be good for you.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:00 AM

I will have no problems locating a job, thank you very much for your concern. But i got it under control!

Now back to the question of locations similar to chapel hill, but maybe a little cheaper housing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina