U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2010, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Southeastern Cumberland County
983 posts, read 3,524,449 times
Reputation: 805

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
When you apply for a job here, do they pay for experience or do they start at a certain step. The district I am in now, gave me credit for every year that I have taught. However, they were only one of the few.


It's based on years of experience and whether you have a Master's degree or not. If you're Nationally Board Certified, you get a 12% pay increase on top of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Smithfield, NC
448 posts, read 744,610 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
It's based on years of experience and whether you have a Master's degree or not. If you're Nationally Board Certified, you get a 12% pay increase on top of that.
Thanks, so if I have a Masters and 18 years, they will pay me for all my years of service. That would be better, it would mean only a five thousand dollar pay deduction.

Most districts in AZ and NY will only pay you for six years of service. You don't get credit for the rest, which stinks. It was why I chose the district that I am working in now. Unfortunately, 3000+ miles would be a bit of a commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 08:00 PM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,918,022 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
But you know what...I taught from 1993-1995. When I quit in 1995, I was only making $22k. I'm going back to work this year (if I get the job I'm interviewing for Monday) and with only 2 years experience, I'm at the first step---only making $8000 more than I did 15 years ago. You would think after all this time, it would be more!


Oh....some DOT employees get paid bi-weekly. And maybe some DOC employees. Everyone else gets paid monthly.


As for teacher supplements....some schools pay them in June. Cumberland County pays 8.5%-9.5% based on experience.

And don't forget longevity that you receive after 10 years of service.

As for receiving health care after you retire--it used to be you could get this after only 5 years of service. It's now 20 years.

When I started teaching in 1995 I made $34K. Today I make $39K..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 AM
 
2 posts, read 12,246 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Wow, has any teachers looked at the payscale for 2010-2011!! My wife is in step 6 with a masters, which puts her salary at $37,440 for this year. Whats so screwed up about this is that just LAST year it was $38,920 at this same step. In 2008-2009 she would have been making $40,340 at this step, which is a 10% increase from where it is now, and in 2007-2008 it was $38,920 at this same step, and $38,400 in 2006-2007. So not only did she not get a step increase last year, she actually took 2 step decreases this year, by taking that $1,500 paycut and also by not getting the step increase again this year. Thats just insane, and she is now making what she did when she was still in her ILT training and only had 2 years experience. Whats really screwed up is they have moved from lumping 0-1 years experience together at the same step to having 0-2 years experience now lumped together in the same step, thereby reducing all the regularly salaries of all the other steps. Not only did the NC teachers not get their step this year (like they did not last year), they also got a pay decrease of over 1K. This is just pathetic. So she has lost almost 10% in salary over the last 2 years. Just insane. Good thing she isn't working this year. No wonder our schools fu*king blow.

Check em out here: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...1schedules.pdf
She will get the same amount she got paid last year. They just moved all the years up. This is not a pay cut. A pay cut would imply that she is making less than what she made the previous year. She is getting paid the same amount.

It definitely stinks that we are not getting our step increases/raises, but those are the times of the economy. Of course it all starts at the top and until that gets fixed we have to keep doing what we do because it is what we love to do. If your wife decided to be a teacher because it is a fall back job then it may not be the right field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
703 posts, read 3,047,627 times
Reputation: 1026
I disagree that it is not a paycut. You might want to define paycut only as less than the previous year, but when you are locked into a 30-year step system, which has an increase of $1,200 to $1,500 each year you teach built into the longevity system, and then you have that step removed, your ONLY source of fighting inflation, then yes, you have received a paycut. My wife, along with most other NC teachers, signed up for the job knowing the pay wasn't the best but that THEY WOULD GET A STEP INCREASE EACH YEAR THEY WORK. However, this has been taken the past 2 years, thus almost a 10% loss in salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkmoxie View Post
She will get the same amount she got paid last year. They just moved all the years up. This is not a pay cut. A pay cut would imply that she is making less than what she made the previous year. She is getting paid the same amount.

It definitely stinks that we are not getting our step increases/raises, but those are the times of the economy. Of course it all starts at the top and until that gets fixed we have to keep doing what we do because it is what we love to do. If your wife decided to be a teacher because it is a fall back job then it may not be the right field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 PM
 
676 posts, read 2,803,336 times
Reputation: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I disagree that it is not a paycut. You might want to define paycut only as less than the previous year, but when you are locked into a 30-year step system, which has an increase of $1,200 to $1,500 each year you teach built into the longevity system, and then you have that step removed, your ONLY source of fighting inflation, then yes, you have received a paycut. My wife, along with most other NC teachers, signed up for the job knowing the pay wasn't the best but that THEY WOULD GET A STEP INCREASE EACH YEAR THEY WORK. However, this has been taken the past 2 years, thus almost a 10% loss in salary.
I agree with how you interpret the pay scale. It feels like a back step, not to mention the benefits keep getting cut too. I find it frustrating when people act like teachers need to be Mother Teresa about their professions. Of course teachers did not get into the job to be rich, but they certainly want to support their families and not live in poverty. It was pretty shocking to get the paperwork for my son's elementary school and see we more than qualify for the free lunch program! My husband has a master's degree and multiple licenses, yet we live in poverty because he chose the field of education and not business. He is not driven by money at all, but every month I have to work miracles to live within our budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2010, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Durham, NC
703 posts, read 3,047,627 times
Reputation: 1026
enlightenme, yes its tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Reputation: 39866
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I agree with how you interpret the pay scale. It feels like a back step, not to mention the benefits keep getting cut too. I find it frustrating when people act like teachers need to be Mother Teresa about their professions. Of course teachers did not get into the job to be rich, but they certainly want to support their families and not live in poverty. It was pretty shocking to get the paperwork for my son's elementary school and see we more than qualify for the free lunch program! My husband has a master's degree and multiple licenses, yet we live in poverty because he chose the field of education and not business. He is not driven by money at all, but every month I have to work miracles to live within our budget.
Just wondering...why do you stay in NC if this is so "tough" for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 AM
 
Location: between here and there
1,030 posts, read 2,773,695 times
Reputation: 935
I just learned 2 teachers from the NY school district I work in left for Raleigh over the summer......wow...are they going to miss the NYS Teacher's Union....they sneeze here and a union rep is at their side......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Durham, NC
703 posts, read 3,047,627 times
Reputation: 1026
Unions really need to abolished. Its pathetic. It allows employees to not have one worry about their job performance nor forces employees to be accountable. I am glad NC doesn't have that bs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top