U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,421 times

Advertisements

You have no idea how great a teachers union would be. Teachers in NC are overworked and underpaid! New York teachers are protected that is right, but why shouldn't they be? I would want help if I was a sticky situation. Besides the fact that a teacher in NY makes our max salary at or around 10 years. Working for pennies sucks. Do a little research on unions before you stick to the normal conservative "Unions Suck " ways. With the help from a union maybe we wouldn't be taking pay cuts and pay freezes on the regular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 PM

21,094 posts, read 23,818,620 times
I have taught my last year in NC. I LOVE the state, I love the BBQ and the people. But after 4 years of zero increase I have to move north. I cannot teach a 5th, 6th and possibly into a 10th year with the very real possibility of not having any increase. When I started in NC, gas was $1.89 a gallon. Our grocery bill was just under $60 a week--with two dogs. Now I am paying $3.39 a gallon ($3.84 diesel), grocery bill is almost $100 a week --still have two dogs, and our weekend travels have come to a screeching HALT.
I cannot afford to pay for medical insurance coverage for my wife (almost $400 month) and the 80/20 plan is currently $20 a month and I hear it will probably increase soon.
Up north I will get a 50% pay increase and FULL medical for me and my wife PAID. And I won't have to worry about being RIF'd because my family doesn't have a few miles of paved roads with our name on it.
SO there should be NO confusion over the NC teacher salary. What you make today you will still be making 5 years from now.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:40 PM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,715,931 times
I agree, unless droves of teachers quit, the legislature has NO INCENTIVE to increase pay 1 penny. I am Tar Heel Born, Tar Heel bred, and teach in this state due to a calling, as a third career. I despise all those that are holding teachers down, from the legislators to the locals, that could do a lot to mitigate the pay issue, but just sit there saying, "Not our fault." I would NEVER encourage anyone to teach in NC. Ever.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,937,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
SO there should be NO confusion over the NC teacher salary. What you make today you will still be making 5 years from now.
maybe and maybe not...Your comment seems like a broad generalization based on your four years' of teaching in NC. Based on NC's past behavior as a predictor of future behavior with regard to teachers' salaries over the past 25+ years...likely an inaccurate message.

I agree that groceries and gas cost more than they did four years ago. About eight years ago, I came across a website where Michigan teachers were posting complaints about no jobs for them in MI and several were recommending moving to Charlotte, NC to find teaching jobs.

I have previously mentioned my friends from NJ who moved to NC several years ago but this seems like a good time to bring them up again. They sold their house in NJ, bought a bigger house near Charlotte, and had money left over. She said she would be making $30,000 MORE per year teaching if they had stayed in NJ (union). She still felt that the move was the right decision for them. Apparently, the cost of living is higher in NJ.

Teachers' salaries were frozen in NC for several years back in the 1980's. Then there were several years of improvement.....under Gov. Hunt's leadership. Anyone who entered teaching in NC around the time that Gov. Perdue took office has experienced no pay raises--frozen salaries. Hopefully, the freeze won't be permanent. The salary scale is determined by the state legislature. Supplements are determined by each school system.

Char-Meck is trying to give their teachers a 3% raise with county funds....time will tell.

I just re read your post. There are people in this country who wish they could get health insurance--let alone for $20 a month! Some other friends of mine were paying $1500 a month for health insurance until one of them went to work for a school system. They are happy to be paying $400 a month now. If you think you can get a better deal somewhere else, by all means go for it.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-06-2012 at 05:12 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 AM

21,094 posts, read 23,818,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
maybe and maybe not...Your comment seems like a broad generalization based on your four years' of teaching in NC. Based on NC's past behavior as a predictor of future behavior with regard to teachers' salaries over the past 25+ years...likely an inaccurate message.

I agree that groceries and gas cost more than they did four years ago. About eight years ago, I came across a website where Michigan teachers were posting complaints about no jobs for them in MI and several were recommending moving to Charlotte, NC to find teaching jobs.

I have previously mentioned my friends from NJ who moved to NC several years ago but this seems like a good time to bring them up again. They sold their house in NJ, bought a bigger house near Charlotte, and had money left over. She said she would be making $30,000 MORE per year teaching if they had stayed in NJ (union). She still felt that the move was the right decision for them. Apparently, the cost of living is higher in NJ.

Teachers' salaries were frozen in NC for several years back in the 1980's. Then there were several years of improvement.....under Gov. Hunt's leadership. Anyone who entered teaching in NC around the time that Gov. Perdue took office has experienced no pay raises--frozen salaries. Hopefully, the freeze won't be permanent. The salary scale is determined by the state legislature. Supplements are determined by each school system.

Char-Meck is trying to give their teachers a 3% raise with county funds....time will tell.

I just re read your post. There are people in this country who wish they could get health insurance--let alone for $20 a month! Some other friends of mine were paying $1500 a month for health insurance until one of them went to work for a school system. They are happy to be paying $400 a month now. If you think you can get a better deal somewhere else, by all means go for it.

This will be the 4th year of wage freeze. My insurance--for what it does cover--will probably be increasing. My net income after rent, utilities, food and fuel will not cover the $430 monthly premium.
I too believed making $30K less was worth the trade off. For the firstyear it was well worth it. But as C.O.L increased and salary stayed stagnant, I soon found I was able to do less.
As for insurance--that is the entire problem is it not? People not being able to afford coverage? Then again, POTUS just signed legislative paper work for universal health care that should make it affordable for most people.

And there are people in this country who teach and do other labor work for a lot less than I am paid, does that justify paying an indentured wage to anyone?
So like quite a few others, I too will be going for the better deal. I would wish all those coming into NC to teach luck--because the leguislatre knows they will not have pay increases anytime soon.
Since education is being cut by $405 Million (I heard $700 million this year) per year, I am anxious to see if there will be any increase in salary in even the distant future.

Remember at one time people were forced to work 10-12 hour days with barely a day off, no medical even for work related injury and they had to shop at the over priced company store.
It doesn't mean what used to be or what currently exists is a GOOD situation and one we should strive to replicate or expand.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:22 PM

6 posts, read 2,370 times
Quick reply to freshjiv:
Teacher unions are important to have because if you are in some sort of trouble with a parent, student, principal, co-worker, and your job is on the line, who do you turn to?? I have been teaching with the New York City Board of Education for 26 years. I have used my union privileges maybe twice, over a rating that I totally disagreed with this b*tcha** principal of mine. So, when you are in trouble, have a grievance, or just knowing someone has your back especially when someone tries to hamstring you and is after your job, you need a union to represent you when the going gets tough. Trust me, when I tell you that being in the system for over 20 years, I have seen, heard, and lived through some of the most negative situations that people would be in if there was no union to back them up. My union rep? Where do I begin? I hardly ever go to her because I feel that she does not give me the answers that I need. So what do I do? I go straight to the union. Unions do not need to be abolished. They are here to help..not hurt. I hope I have given you some sort of insight and a change of heart about your feelings about unions. Remember, they are here to help..not hurt. Angel1

Old 08-08-2016, 01:41 PM

6 posts, read 2,370 times
As I am reading some of these threads, its a shame that you guys in NC are being hamstringed by your State Reps! What are you kidding me? No raise since 1985??? Think of how much money you guys would get in BACK PAY if you had a union to fight for you!! Why is North Carolina paying teachers just once a month? I am thinking about transferring from NY to NC.. But, as I am reading, I think I better just stay put until I retire. Don't think I could stand not having my job protected.. or, living monthly from pay check to pay check...You all need to band together and get into a union like the United Federation of Teachers.. It's a universal union that works! Short story: We had an a**hole of a mayor, (Bloomberg) who did not, would not, totally refused to give us a raise after 8 years. The union fought with this guy and we finally won after we did not elect him into office for another 4 years. Once we got our new mayor, all of the back pay that was owed to us, we got it back!! So, North Carolina, you guys work too hard to be hamstringed! Get into a union and fight for what's yours!! Angel1

Old 08-08-2016, 01:56 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,369,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild1959 View Post
As I am reading some of these threads, its a shame that you guys in NC are being hamstringed by your State Reps! What are you kidding me? No raise since 1985??? Think of how much money you guys would get in BACK PAY if you had a union to fight for you!! Why is North Carolina paying teachers just once a month? I am thinking about transferring from NY to NC.. But, as I am reading, I think I better just stay put until I retire. Don't think I could stand not having my job protected.. or, living monthly from pay check to pay check...You all need to band together and get into a union like the United Federation of Teachers.. It's a universal union that works! Short story: We had an a**hole of a mayor, (Bloomberg) who did not, would not, totally refused to give us a raise after 8 years. The union fought with this guy and we finally won after we did not elect him into office for another 4 years. Once we got our new mayor, all of the back pay that was owed to us, we got it back!! So, North Carolina, you guys work too hard to be hamstringed! Get into a union and fight for what's yours!! Angel1
Are you aware this thread was started in 2008? You might want to research more current information if you are interested in moving here to teach. You may still not like what you find, but at least you'll have current information. If you can't work without a union, stay in NY.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:19 PM

5,414 posts, read 5,386,318 times
Starchild Teachers have been leaving NC in droves within the recent years to Texas, where their pay increased dramatically. We lived in NC and really loved it. My husband worked as a Kitchen Designer for Lowe's and enjoyed his work. In Feb. 2013 Management gave all Commissioned employees 3 days notice that they would no longer be paying Commissions. My husband lost $17,000 in Commissions for the year. Had Lowe's been Unionized they would have been fought. (Google Lowe's Commissions). According to Lowe's contract, an employee can be fired for any reason at the Manager's discretion. The South claims "right to work States". What people don't realize that the wages are minimal, unemployment very high. What good is having a rent payment under $1,000/mo. if you barely bring home enough to pay it. We moved back up North where he is being paid a very good living wage. One thing we learned is the grass is not always greener.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:47 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,669,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild1959 View Post
Starchild1959 - North Carolina and Virginia deem that it is "illegal" for the state to negotiate with a union for salaries! North Carolina is indeed a "right to work for less state"!!! Between the low salaries and the overpriced benefits, there isn't much reason to come to this state to teach! If that number refers to your year of birth, you might want to retire in New York first, before you make a move down here. But even then, NC has high taxes on the retirement income you might receive from your pension compared to New York. Staying put may be your best bet at this point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina