U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:58 AM

36,936 posts, read 16,111,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachers pet View Post
It's not nearly as much as you make in NJ. You also have to take into account that most Counties pay an annual suppliment which usually runs about 8% of your total salary. This suppliment is paid in two parts, you receive the first payment in December and the other around march or April.

The way I look at it is the suppliment makes up for the 8% they take out for retirement. I do believe that not having unions may be the reason for such low pay in a state that has an enormous problem with hiring quality teachers and retaining them.
"It's not nearly as much as you make in NJ."

Keep in mind the cost of living is WAY LOWER then in NJ and your dollar goes FURTHER.

The REAL value of $100.

N,C = 109.05

N.J = $87.34

The Real Value of $100 in Each State | Tax Foundation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild1959 View Post

How long have you been teaching in North Carolina? I was just there a week ago and during my visit, I had the luxury of talking to 2 teachers from your state who seem to be working hard but being under paid. (One for 6 years, and the other for 18 years) At least here in New York you will be guaranteed your pension, social security, and TDA. If you have invested money into a cd account during your teaching career, not only will you have the three payment checks I just mentioned, but you will have a nice cushion to help you make it after retirement. It doesn't matter if the thread was started in 2008. According to my cousin, and the two teachers I spoke to while visiting, looks to me it hasn't changed since 2008 or longer. More power to you guys if you like working without a union who is there to just protect you or your job if you ever need it. I don't think I can live on a once a month check like that. (Sorry) As far as the union, again, if you read my blog, we were without a contract for 12 years thanks to the former mayor we had, while the current mayor took care of business for us. Our union and others helped vote him in and he delivered on his promise for us teachers here in New York. In the other blogs I read that it is against the law to have a union? Says Who?? Y'all need to get rid of that McCook character. Bet if you all get a good governor, you'll see how important a union can be to give you guys what you deserve. As the saying goes, TEACHERS ARE OVERWORKED BUT YET UNDERPAID!! Angel1
" if you like working without a union who is there to just protect you or your job?"

As a taxpayer I am GLAD we do NOT have teacher's unions here.

Look through C-D and see ALL the stories where teachers have done RIDICULOUS things and NOTHING HAPPENED, NOR COULD BE, TO THEM.

From the girl who was suspended for having Midol to the girl suspended for having a kitchen knife in her car, her family just moved and it fell out of the bag, to the little boy suspended for biting a pastry and it "looked" like "gun".

The stories are ENDLESS.

These people and the administrators should be FIRED but, because of the unions , NOTHING happens to them.

We constantly hear "how much the teachers CARE about the children" but, will strike at the blink of an eye to get MORE "goodies" and the kids are left WITHOUT teachers as the teachers strike.

PS. I am for ELIMINATING ALL public employees unions.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I still don't get how it is "illegal" for the state to negotiate with a union for salaries! If you have a good union, that is their job to negotiate with the state for what is yours. If you sit back and do nothing then nothing will be done. Sounds to me like the state is making up all of these "Illegal" rules because you guys are sitting back and doing nothing to fight for what is yours! Our union fights for us with the city and the state. Whatever negotiations that come about with the union, city(mayor) and the governor(state) our voices are eventually heard! Like I said in my other blog..we had a mayor who was like your governor McCook. Didn't think teachers are important but, wants to impose all of these changes with our curriculum and all of this eventually trickled down to the children. If North Carolina is a right to work for less state, why go to school for four years or more, get into a PROFESSION and not a regular job but a CAREER to be treated this way? I believe in hard work equal pay! Yes, the number refers to my birth, and believe it or not, I became a teacher back in 1985, but chose to travel first before going into the classroom. I do plan to retire and make NC my home, I was just there in NC last week. Spoke to two teachers from your state, and believe me, when I told them about the differences here compared to over there, I could see the disappointment. One is going back to get the PHD. Why get more degrees if you are not being paid to show it??? Angel1
"that is their job to negotiate with the state for what is yours."

Herein IS the problem.

It is NOT "yours"

The money is OURS, the TAXPAYERS.

" Our union fights for us with the city and the state." Then the SAME union "contributes" to the very same politicians to get them re-elected.

In private business that is called "collusion".

Some even say "bribery".

Too many employee THINK they are ENTITLED to EVERYTHING

Old 08-31-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:

I have family that lives in NC..If teaching sucks in NC why are u still doing it?? Unions are important to be in...Sorry to hear other professions are not covered either...I guess NC would be a nice state to retire in as long as u have enuf money to make it out there..Have a cousin who retired here..moved back to NC and is back to work in her 70's...now that SUCKS! Aunt retired many years ago..only gets a $50.00 retirement check (she worked in NC for many years.) That's only because ya'll don't believe tin a union. Well, more power to ya. If you know how to handle your money/business, NY NJ are not bad places to live... Angel1
" NY NJ are not bad places to live."

Please remind all your friend who are thinking of moving here.

We DON'T WANT your kind.

It's funny how so MANY NY'ers moved out that the state LOST a House seat in the Congress.

OBVIOUSLY MANY NY'ers do NOT agree with you.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:31 PM

10,595 posts, read 4,418,591 times
Just a word of advice. Teaching in NC is underpaid. If you live in NJ and think the grass is greener in NC you are wrong. Most edu. majors are going out of state to find work. Teacher shortage in NC is large, every county is short of teachers. Reason being is underpaid compared to other states.

What you are not seeing is the increase in taxes and lack of deductions causing higer tax rates for those who make less.

The State GOP Legislature and Governor, have raised all fees, property taxes,real estate taxes, sales taxes, everything is taxed. They even tried to tax private well water.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:54 AM

2,791 posts, read 1,915,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Just a word of advice. Teaching in NC is underpaid. If you live in NJ and think the grass is greener in NC you are wrong. Most edu. majors are going out of state to find work. Teacher shortage in NC is large, every county is short of teachers. Reason being is underpaid compared to other states.

What you are not seeing is the increase in taxes and lack of deductions causing higer tax rates for those who make less.

The State GOP Legislature and Governor, have raised all fees, property taxes,real estate taxes, sales taxes, everything is taxed. They even tried to tax private well water.

First off, understand that I am probably out of touch on this subject. Is teaching in NC really underpaid? Just exactly how much should a teacher make? Every county is short of teachers----by what standard? Are there more or less teachers per pupil today than let's say 35 years ago? Do we really need all those teachers aides and massive amounts of administrators? I grew up in a time when the average teacher to pupil ration was more than 30 to 1 and yet we managed to learn! A states like NJ and Mass are 1:25 whereas Alabama is 1:18.
Teacher:Student Ratios

I NEVER had a class with a teacher's aide as we had parents that helped as necessary.

Most edu majors are going out of state to find work-this may be true but do you have a link that supports that contention?

By the way, I lived in NJ and can tell you that large numbers are migrating here for good reason. By and large, NJ is certainly not a panacea for teachers or anyone else. One of the happiest days of my life was when I left!

Yes fees have been raised but most people wil see a net decrease in overall tax rates. For those who think differently I invite you to actually break down how it impacts you. Property tax, real estate taxes are local as are sales tax to a degree. I believe it was Democrats in 2008 that first tried to tax well water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina