Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:12 PM

983 posts, read 3,973,958 times

Advertisements

All state employees, except for the Department of Transportation and some in the Department of Corrections, are all paid once a month. It's actually easier being paid that way. We've had it both ways...I've taught public school, and my husband has worked for DOT, DOC, & Department of Public Safety. Once you get used to paying all of your bills at the first of the month, it's actually easier to budget the rest out for the rest of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 07:24 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,200,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
All state employees, except for the Department of Transportation and some in the Department of Corrections, are all paid once a month. It's actually easier being paid that way. We've had it both ways...I've taught public school, and my husband has worked for DOT, DOC, & Department of Public Safety. Once you get used to paying all of your bills at the first of the month, it's actually easier to budget the rest out for the rest of the month.
There are other exceptions, especially in the university system.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,734,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
If you can't work without a union, stay in NY.
THIS.

Ya gotta love these drive-by posters who know nothing about the state and decide that NC teachers can or will suddenly "rise up" and form a union "because that's how they do it in New York!!"

Teaching DOES suck in NC, but it is a "NON-UNION" state, not just for teachers, so anyone who requires a teachers union should not look into here. Yes, teachers are leaving the state in droves for a multitude of reasons. But teachers aren't the only ones who don't have unions here--no profession does, in the true sense of a union. It's part of the main reason the cost of living here is so cheap, in some ways.

TL;DR--don't expect to move to a "cheap" state and find worker allies like unions. That's a big reason things are cheaper. Only the legislature can do what it takes to allow unions in NC and if you know anything about this state, you'd know how LITTLE the current legislature listens to anybody excecpt the Religious Right and millionaire donors.

Public servants' unions are precisely one of the main reasons state like NY and NJ are so expensive. It's not a coincidence.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,734,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
There are other exceptions, especially in the university system.
Correct--I was a state employee for many years (paid once a month) then went to work at UNC (state university, technically state employee, but different "system". I got paid biweekly. It was actually weird to get used to. Then I went back to the "regular" state and had to go monthly again.

I now work somewhere that is not a state job but pays monthly. Once you get used to it, it's no big deal, although you are much more conscious of those months with 23 workdays opposed to those with 20, where you get the same pay for both

Old 08-28-2016, 04:13 PM

6 posts, read 3,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Are you aware this thread was started in 2008? You might want to research more current information if you are interested in moving here to teach. You may still not like what you find, but at least you'll have current information. If you can't work without a union, stay in NY.

How long have you been teaching in North Carolina? I was just there a week ago and during my visit, I had the luxury of talking to 2 teachers from your state who seem to be working hard but being under paid. (One for 6 years, and the other for 18 years) At least here in New York you will be guaranteed your pension, social security, and TDA. If you have invested money into a cd account during your teaching career, not only will you have the three payment checks I just mentioned, but you will have a nice cushion to help you make it after retirement. It doesn't matter if the thread was started in 2008. According to my cousin, and the two teachers I spoke to while visiting, looks to me it hasn't changed since 2008 or longer. More power to you guys if you like working without a union who is there to just protect you or your job if you ever need it. I don't think I can live on a once a month check like that. (Sorry) As far as the union, again, if you read my blog, we were without a contract for 12 years thanks to the former mayor we had, while the current mayor took care of business for us. Our union and others helped vote him in and he delivered on his promise for us teachers here in New York. In the other blogs I read that it is against the law to have a union? Says Who?? Y'all need to get rid of that McCook character. Bet if you all get a good governor, you'll see how important a union can be to give you guys what you deserve. As the saying goes, TEACHERS ARE OVERWORKED BUT YET UNDERPAID!! Angel1

Old 08-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Starchild Teachers have been leaving NC in droves within the recent years to Texas, where their pay increased dramatically. We lived in NC and really loved it. My husband worked as a Kitchen Designer for Lowe's and enjoyed his work. In Feb. 2013 Management gave all Commissioned employees 3 days notice that they would no longer be paying Commissions. My husband lost $17,000 in Commissions for the year. Had Lowe's been Unionized they would have been fought. (Google Lowe's Commissions). According to Lowe's contract, an employee can be fired for any reason at the Manager's discretion. The South claims "right to work States". What people don't realize that the wages are minimal, unemployment very high. What good is having a rent payment under $1,000/mo. if you barely bring home enough to pay it. We moved back up North where he is being paid a very good living wage. One thing we learned is the grass is not always greener.
I think moving back here (North) was the smartest thing to do. I was just in North Carolina last week. A cousin of mine was complaining about his job, colleagues, etc. found himself another job...My niece did the same thing. Worked the poor girl like a work horse. She quit, then went back. Don't know why she did it.. Sorry to hear your husband had to take such a salary cut. People that are reading these blogs don't get it. UNIO)NS ARE IMPORTANT to have because if you ever got into a situation where money is an issue, job on the line, or just fire you because they want to fire you..my point again is..who do you turn to if you are in a situation like that???Angel1

Old 08-28-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Starchild1959 - North Carolina and Virginia deem that it is "illegal" for the state to negotiate with a union for salaries! North Carolina is indeed a "right to work for less state"!!! Between the low salaries and the overpriced benefits, there isn't much reason to come to this state to teach! If that number refers to your year of birth, you might want to retire in New York first, before you make a move down here. But even then, NC has high taxes on the retirement income you might receive from your pension compared to New York. Staying put may be your best bet at this point!
I still don't get how it is "illegal" for the state to negotiate with a union for salaries! If you have a good union, that is their job to negotiate with the state for what is yours. If you sit back and do nothing then nothing will be done. Sounds to me like the state is making up all of these "Illegal" rules because you guys are sitting back and doing nothing to fight for what is yours! Our union fights for us with the city and the state. Whatever negotiations that come about with the union, city(mayor) and the governor(state) our voices are eventually heard! Like I said in my other blog..we had a mayor who was like your governor McCook. Didn't think teachers are important but, wants to impose all of these changes with our curriculum and all of this eventually trickled down to the children. If North Carolina is a right to work for less state, why go to school for four years or more, get into a PROFESSION and not a regular job but a CAREER to be treated this way? I believe in hard work equal pay! Yes, the number refers to my birth, and believe it or not, I became a teacher back in 1985, but chose to travel first before going into the classroom. I do plan to retire and make NC my home, I was just there in NC last week. Spoke to two teachers from your state, and believe me, when I told them about the differences here compared to over there, I could see the disappointment. One is going back to get the PHD. Why get more degrees if you are not being paid to show it??? Angel1

Old 08-28-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
THIS.

Ya gotta love these drive-by posters who know nothing about the state and decide that NC teachers can or will suddenly "rise up" and form a union "because that's how they do it in New York!!"

Teaching DOES suck in NC, but it is a "NON-UNION" state, not just for teachers, so anyone who requires a teachers union should not look into here. Yes, teachers are leaving the state in droves for a multitude of reasons. But teachers aren't the only ones who don't have unions here--no profession does, in the true sense of a union. It's part of the main reason the cost of living here is so cheap, in some ways.

TL;DR--don't expect to move to a "cheap" state and find worker allies like unions. That's a big reason things are cheaper. Only the legislature can do what it takes to allow unions in NC and if you know anything about this state, you'd know how LITTLE the current legislature listens to anybody excecpt the Religious Right and millionaire donors.

Public servants' unions are precisely one of the main reasons state like NY and NJ are so expensive. It's not a coincidence.

I have family that lives in NC..If teaching sucks in NC why are u still doing it?? Unions are important to be in...Sorry to hear other professions are not covered either...I guess NC would be a nice state to retire in as long as u have enuf money to make it out there..Have a cousin who retired here..moved back to NC and is back to work in her 70's...now that SUCKS! Aunt retired many years ago..only gets a $50.00 retirement check (she worked in NC for many years.) That's only because ya'll don't believe tin a union. Well, more power to ya. If you know how to handle your money/business, NY NJ are not bad places to live... Angel1

Old 08-29-2016, 09:37 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,483,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild1959 View Post
That's only because ya'll don't believe tin a union. Well, more power to ya.
Starchild:

You are spitting in the wind to be preaching the benefits of unions on a NC forum. Whether "we" are in favor of unions or not, THE REALITY is that NC's political and business leaders have NEVER been supportive of unions in the entire history of the state. There will not be an uprising of the underclass to create an environment conducive to unions in NC no matter how strongly you feel or how many posts you make on C-D. It is what it is. Your posts are bordering on trolling.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:18 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,306,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild1959 View Post

How long have you been teaching in North Carolina? I was just there a week ago and during my visit, I had the luxury of talking to 2 teachers from your state who seem to be working hard but being under paid. (One for 6 years, and the other for 18 years) At least here in New York you will be guaranteed your pension, social security, and TDA. If you have invested money into a cd account during your teaching career, not only will you have the three payment checks I just mentioned, but you will have a nice cushion to help you make it after retirement. It doesn't matter if the thread was started in 2008. According to my cousin, and the two teachers I spoke to while visiting, looks to me it hasn't changed since 2008 or longer. More power to you guys if you like working without a union who is there to just protect you or your job if you ever need it. I don't think I can live on a once a month check like that. (Sorry) As far as the union, again, if you read my blog, we were without a contract for 12 years thanks to the former mayor we had, while the current mayor took care of business for us. Our union and others helped vote him in and he delivered on his promise for us teachers here in New York. In the other blogs I read that it is against the law to have a union? Says Who?? Y'all need to get rid of that McCook character. Bet if you all get a good governor, you'll see how important a union can be to give you guys what you deserve. As the saying goes, TEACHERS ARE OVERWORKED BUT YET UNDERPAID!! Angel1
Thanks for the pointless rant. Great job. As I said, if you feel like you can't work without a union, stay in NY. I don't understand what you are doing, or what you hope to gain, by plastering this drivel on CD. Most of us are well aware that NC should pay teachers more, and many of us hope to see McCrory voted out. You are attacking me for not supporting an issue that I do in fact support. Please move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina