U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 09:29 AM

105 posts, read 584,674 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving up to NC from Florida to escape hurricanes and crowds. We are originally small town folks and are looking for an area with lots of Antique stores-auctions-flea markets with antiques. Is Charlotte Gastonia a good option or is Raleigh better? Housing in Ashville seems a little pricey for us.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2006, 10:43 AM

1,536 posts, read 5,102,074 times
The flea Market at the fairgrounds in Raleigh has some great antique dealers. Some have been there for over 20 years and could help you with alot of local info. You should come for the weekend and visit. There is an antique jewlery booth that I just love, and that women has been there for well over 20 years.Don't know about escaping the crowds at that flea market though, it gets rather busy. that must ssay something. moderator cut Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Last edited by Yac; 05-26-2006 at 01:22 AM..

Old 05-25-2006, 06:49 PM

80 posts, read 437,382 times
What types of antiques are you interested in?

Old 05-25-2006, 08:04 PM

Country and general antiques. Quilts, furniture like pie safes, washstands, oak, mahogany, walnut, etc. Kitchen items, yellowware, graniteware, folk art, paintings etc. Nothing super fancy. We don't do much with glassware, but just about everything else. We are looking for a good area to set up shop. Been doing antiques for about 20 years.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:10 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,629,298 times
Lots of antique places in Hendersonville. About 25 miles south of Asheville on Interstate 26.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-25-2006 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-25-2006, 08:12 PM

80 posts, read 437,382 times
You will probably do better in the mountain counties Especially in tourist areas. I have some family antiques myself some Wheat cradles, sickle an old wagon, Even an ice saw from up north when they used ice boxes and Grandfather Clocks etc. Good luck to ya.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:31 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,168,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man
You will probably do better in the mountain counties Especially in tourist areas.
Yeah, places like Boone and Blowing Rock. Lots of tourists throughout the year, and plenty of people moving to the area who want to decorate their new mountain homes with period pieces.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:58 PM

212 posts, read 987,684 times
I think antiques will be where you find them. I mean could be anywhere. Down East was settled long before the mountain areas; Tryon Palace in New Bern was the colonial (English) governor's mansion. There are land grant families/holdings down East as well. Then there are plantation homes like Hope Plantation, etc. I guess it would depend on the period of antiques you are most interested in. Of course the mountains and foothills have more of the Appalachian homestyle stuff, but the East might have older and more refined pieces. Counties along the border especially to the NE would be more tied into Va./Richmond/Norfolk/Williamsburg as these were settled long before the NC hinterland. I guess it would pay to start watching the local papers for estate sales. Boone Antiques in Wilson is a rather large antique dealer that is sort of off the beaten path. Plus they are close to Parker's Bar-b-q on hwy 301! Good Luck.

Last edited by clodhopper; 05-26-2006 at 12:02 AM..

Old 05-26-2006, 06:36 AM

45 posts, read 203,095 times
Boone's has beautiful English/French antiques. Very, very pricey. Stacked floor to ceiling and a warehouse busting at the seems makes it a wonderful place to spend the afternoon. People come from all over the country to shop there including several famous names. It isn't unusual to find pieces costing $25,000 and upwards. In fact the building is full of pieces as expensive or moreso. Several pieces from Boone's were used in the film "The Patriot".

Langfords Antiques in Wilson holds auctions regularly. They deal with estates and such with plenty of fine antiques. Fulfords is another one that deals with fine antiques. But Boone's is the largest and really sets the standard in that area.

There are a few junktique places in Wilson as well but it seems that most have either moved or closed shop. Right down I-95 in Smithfield, one can find all kinds of junktique shops with some better antique's thrown in the mix. Smithfield has revitalized their downtown with incentives for antique dealers to locate there. It's worked, there is an antique store or mall every ten feet it seems.

New Bern has a good smattering of antique shops too. We go there regularly to browse and shop.

Several in Moorehead City too.

Really they are located all over the eastern part of the state.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:53 AM

We are leaning towards Kings Mountain or Gastonia, they are close to Interstate 85. I think we would get traffic from Charlotte going to the mountains and some from South Carolina. Also that area is close enough to Charlotte that we would not have to rely stricly on tourists. Commercial real estate looks affordable there. I'm not really worried about finding antiques, I have good sources so I am more concerned with where I can sell them. How much snow does this area get, a few inches a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina