U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-22-2007, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 6,697 times

Advertisements

I was offered a new position with the company I presently work for. It would require me to work the "triangle" in N. Carolina. Although I love Long Island, I feel this is a great oppertunity for me and my wife. We are newlyweds and she is a certified NY teacher searching for a job. I would be making a little over $55k to start with great benifets. My co. would like me to live in the Raleigh/durham area. I was hoping that someone can answer a few ?'s for us.
1- How far would that salary get us in this particular area?
2- Are there many teaching possibilities?
3- Obtaining/transferring a ny teaching license to N.C.
4-Being i will be in medical sales, how are "yankees" percieved?
5- Recomendations for any towns/cities to live in
Thanks in advance for answers to any of these ?'s and any other advice/tips you can offer
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 07:08 PM

9,074 posts, read 18,633,913 times
Csig, welcome to the board! You may want to post this in the Raleigh Forum to get more responses, but here is my take:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csig76 View Post
1- How far would that salary get us in this particular area?
Hard to tell, do you have expenses like car payments, student loans ect...? Do you plan on just living off that income? What type /size of house and yard are you looking for?

Quote:
2- Are there many teaching possibilities?
Yes,there are tons of teaching possibilities in wake county as well as durham. Others on this forum in the teaching profession will most likely chime in on this as well as be abl to provide better input on teaching salaries

Quote:
3- Obtaining/transferring a ny teaching license to N.C.
Again, others on this forum in the teaching profession will most likely chime in on this

Quote:
4-Being i will be in medical sales, how are "yankees" percieved?
This is a total non-issue here, you will quickly learn that the majority of the population here are transplants with a large portion from NY/NJ and LI. You will fit in just fine.

Quote:
5- Recomendations for any towns/cities to live in
More info would help with this, where is your job going to be located? How much do you want to spend on a house? Ho long of a commute do you want? North Raliegh, Raleigh Inside The Beltline (Closer To Downtown), Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, Morrisville, and Durham are all potential possibilites but you will want to consider all these questions when trying to decide. Otehr places that are further out are Holly Springs, Clayton and Fuquay-Varina, but they have a bit of a longer commute to some areas, again depending on where you will be working.

Good luck with your decison! This is a great place to live and raise a family!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:28 PM

653 posts, read 2,128,953 times
Well, as a realtor and former teacher, I might be able to help you on both counts!

1. With regards to your salary, plus your wife's (in Wake County, she'll start somewhere in the neighborhood of $30k, depending on her experience), you'll be very comfortable here. If you're planning to buy a house, talk to a mortgage broker sooner rather than later to get prequalified, then talk to a realtor about what your housing needs are. Coming from LI, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at what's available here.

2. There is a huge need for teachers in Wake County. We are expecting about 7000 new students each year, so obviously the need for qualified teachers grows, too. There are several threads on this topic in the Raleigh/Durham Metro Forum, you can search it for details. A couple websites to get her started would be www.wcpss.net (Wake County Schools) and www.teach4nc.com (explains NC certification).

Overall, Durham county schools perform lower than Wake, and have a reputation of being inferior. I taught in Wake, and my kids are in Wake, so I can't offer first-hand experience if you choose Durham County. Evaluate your choices on a school-by-school basis, though, because there are good schools in Durham, just like there are not-so-good schools in Wake. www.greatschools.net or www.ncreportcards.com offer test scores for individual schools.

3. As a "northern transplant", you'll probably find yourself in good company! A lot of people are coming here from up north, as well as FL, CA, and other places where the cost of living has skyrocketed. I was showing a client from NJ around Cary (known for its high percentage of northerners), and we stopped to talk to a neighbor at one house who turned out to be from Long Island! They had a great chat, and my client felt much more comfortable about the move in general after hearing how much the negihbor liked it here.

4. Towns/areas - Well, Cary, as mentioned above, or Apex, are usually the first that come to mind... but there are several great areas in the Triangle. I would recommend that your wife evaluate her school options, look at test scores and talk to a couple principals. Usually, a good school is a good barometer of the neighborhoods around it. If she's comfortable at a school, chances are, you'll be comfortable living near it, and she won't have to drive very far! That's actually what we did, since I was a teacher when we relocated here.

5. One last thing - you didn't mention what grade she teaches, but please research the traditional vs. year-round school issue in Wake County. Our schools are excellent, but due to fast growth in certain areas, some elementary and middle schools have been converted to mandatory year round. (Logistically, the high schools can't convert, so if she teaches high school, don't worry about it.) There have been several threads on the topic in the Raleigh Metro forum.

There are a lot of great people on this forum, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of great advice from them as well. Feel free to pm me for specifics about anything, I'd be glad to offer any help I can.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 6,697 times
thanks for responding! I will definately use the information. Our initial plans are to rent for 6 months and explore the state and look for a place to buy a house. I will be working the whole state but will be mainly working in Raleigh/Durham but also going out towards Greensboro quite frequently. My wife is certified in NY for grades Pre-k to 6th grade. Looking forward to the move. As of now looks like March is moving time.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:37 AM

1,531 posts, read 5,230,090 times
1- Pretty far...it's more than I make by a longshot, and I live comfortably.

2- Hundreds! They're hiring them at a rapid pace.

3- Contact the county school system you want to work for, they'll tell you how to do it better than anyone else can.

4- Not much a problem of how yankees are perceived, as you say, (especially in this area full of so many transplants) as long as you don't act the stereotype. You know, the pushy, fast-talking, abrupt type. If you adapt to the local culture, yet still acting intelligent and sophisticated at the same time, you'll do real well in the Triangle. It's all about a balance, I would say.

5- Well, the three cities that make up the Triangle would be best: Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. (I never suggest any of the suburbs...they're dull and generic, in my honest opinion.) I think any of the main three would have tons to grab your interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina