U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:24 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,143,329 times

Advertisements

My partner and I live in Boone and find it to be fairly gay friendly, probably not as much as Asheville though. Having Appalachian State University here helps (sometimes some IT jobs open up there), and we even have a Boone Pride, albeit it's nothing like Pride's in other major metropolitan areas - a dance on Friday night and a picnic in a park the next day. But the Pride is growing! There's also a gay friendly church about 6 miles out of Boone where there are numerous gay and lesbians. It's called High Country United Church of Christ. The pastor there, a female, is wonderful!

There are no gay bars that I'm aware of but there is a local group called NC Outings that caters to the GLBT community with different outings and get-togethers throughout each month. Additionally, there is a newly formed local group called Boone Impact which was formed after the last election to fight anti-gay legislation and policies both nationally and regionally. There are also a few gay-owned businesses downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,287,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFLMix View Post
Does it exist?

My wife and I currently live in Rock Hill SC. We are about 5 minutes from Charlotte NC. We are a gay couple.

We are expecting our first child in Feb 09
Sorry, I'm lost and curious, can you clarify? You're married, but gay, but expecting a child....... Are you both women and adopting or used a sperm bank or-? Again to each their own, just not getting the situation.

Anyway from what I gather Asheville area(s) are very much your best bet...

Old 01-12-2009, 04:12 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,992,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFLMix View Post
Does it exist?
My wife and I currently live in Rock Hill SC. We are about 5 minutes from Charlotte NC. We are a gay couple.

Maybe somewhere someplace we can unearth atleast a friendly town? Were good people, with good ethics, do we want too much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Sorry, I'm lost and curious, can you clarify? You're married, but gay, but expecting a child....... Are you both women and adopting or used a sperm bank or-? Again to each their own, just not getting the situation.

OK, this was kinda rude and I apologize to the OP on Bill's behalf!!!

With that said, I REALLY think the OP picked one of the worst parts of metro Charlotte to move. Many folks in Rock Hill, SC have trouble accepting bi-racial couples. I can only imagine how it must be for a gay couple. I think the OP really needs to take a close look at the South End, Plaza Midwood, Noda, and Uptown areas of Charlotte. I see gays walking together holding hands and pushing baby carriages in these areas on many occasions. They may draw a stare or two from some folks, but it is a good sign that they feel comfortable being themselves in public.

My wife and I are a straight biracial couple and we enjoy walking through some of Charlotte's most heavily gay neighborhoods. For some reason, the gay areas of Charlotte are just flat out more accepting to ALL couples. I think the OP should do more homework on Charlotte because I find this thread to be very misleading. The central neighborhoods of Charlotte (which has more people than Asheville and Chapel Hill combined) are very very very liberal and gay friendly. Almost every fast food joint, or street corner, or train leaving uptown, has more than a few gays. Here lately, Uptown (near Charlotte's transit center) has a growing number of Trannies as well as gays. Again, I am talking about the central neighborhoods of Charlotte ONLY.

South End
Elizabeth
Uptown
Plaza Midwood
Dilworth
Noda
Myers Park

These are all gay friendly areas of town. By gay friendly, I mean you will see gays out in the open being themselves. Not hugging and kissing in public (some do, most don't). Just being themselves. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-12-2009 at 04:28 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,287,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
OK, this was kinda rude and I apologize to the OP on Bill's behalf!!!
Trying to speak on someone else's behalf who doesn't want it is rude - if that person wants to respond fine, if not pls mind your own business.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 PM

444 posts, read 1,027,275 times
So i guess you had a donor. No offense just curious.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:19 PM

444 posts, read 1,027,275 times
I would try Winston Salem if i were you. I mean you never know if they need to send someone to help or something.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,168 times
I am new to this, and do not know exactly how it works. However, I have been reading opinions of many people who post here, and am interested in learning more.

I just read TSpirit's take on "finding a place", and I concur. Kudos for expressing his/her opinion in an articulate manner. May I request that you keep me in the loop regarding the results of your search? Do people obtain private emails from these posts?

I am interested because I, too, am entertaining thoughts about relocating. I grew up in Phila., in a lovely enclave, but left for in the Caribbean, where I lived for many years. Then, I lived in N. Truro, Cape Cod, and worked in P-town. I did the seasonal thing...sometimes Florida and then a cruise ship in Hawaii...always the adventuress!

Although not "gay" myself, I am blessed to have many "gay" friends, who have enhanced my being throughout my adult life. I would choose to live in a "Gay Friendly" area for many reasons. When I lived at the Cape, I spent one winter there, and although I eschew the cold, it was a wonderful winter because of the core of friends(gay and straight!) who were there for each other. We took turns having dinner parties, and were always "in touch"...so it was a very "warm" atmosphere despite the low temperatures! This is the kind of atmosphere I would love to find again.

I currently live in Vero Beach, Fl., and although it is a nice area, I am over worrying about the potential of hurricanes (I live on barrier island), and the insurance, etc. makes it increasingly less affordable. Also, I care not about golf. In fact, the only balls in which I am interested, are the kind where I can wear a gown and have a fun and able dancing partner! So...I am open to other's savvy opinions re the "best" places.

My criteria is manifold, but simple (I think). I want balance! Not too hot, not too cold; not "buggy" ("no see'ums, etc.). Not too urban (not downtown anywhere), and not too rural. Near enough to food stores and shops (I am not a trip-mall devotee...but I do like to forage in TJ MAXX, etc.) Walmart is not my cup of tea. Quiet is preferred...not near schools and playgrounds, blaring music and honking traffic. Proximate to airport (not over a half hour drive) and hospital. A good deli would be nice...and most of all people who are tolerant of ethnicities, religions and sexual orientations which may differ from their own. Also pride of one's home and surrounding property.

Perhaps I should sign myself "Goldilocks"...but my hair is now streaked with silver...and I actually rather like it!

My own likes and dislikes are expressed only to give information, not to cast aspersions on anyone else. I express this because I have read various responses which seem to have been written because the author took offense at the previous writer's point of view.

So...I welcome sincere, intelligent replies as to where a single, straight woman might find a warm and friendly enviornment in a gay-friendly area, which is also affordable and safe. I am encouraging my gay friends to become interested also. And...to TSpirit...I enjoyed reading your post, and would hope to hear from you again!

Last edited by caribqn; 10-03-2009 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 PM

10,389 posts, read 19,348,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribqn View Post

Although not "gay" myself, I am blessed to have many "gay" friends,
Do your gay friends get offended when you put "gay" in quotes? Would you put "black" in quotes?

Quote:
My criteria is manifold, but simple (I think). I want balance! Not too hot, not too cold; not "buggy" ("no see'ums, etc.). Not too urban (not downtown anywhere), and not too rural. Near enough to food stores and shops . Quiet is preferred...not near schools and playgrounds, blaring music and honking traffic. Proximate to airport (not over a half hour drive) and hospital. A good deli would be nice...and most of all people who are tolerant of ethnicities, religions and sexual orientations which may differ from their own. Also pride of one's home and surrounding property.
NC is not going to meet your "not buggy" criteria--we get mosquitoes pretty bad here, not to mention spiders, etc. Otherwise, the Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) fits most of the other criteria as far as NC goes, especially Chapel Hill. We DO get cold in the winter and some snow, however. But it's not like up north by any means.

Quote:
So...I welcome sincere, intelligent replies as to where a single, straight woman might find a warm and friendly enviornment in a gay-friendly area, which is also affordable and safe. I am encouraging my gay friends to become interested also.
The urban areas of NC are generally all OK for gay folks, but again, the Triangle area and Asheville fit the bill the best. NC is actually the most gay-friendly state in the Southeast; the ONLY southern state that doesn't have a "defense of marriage" amendment yet, and that is largely thanks to our friendly state legislators in power as well as our excellent Equality NC lobbying group. Carrboro had an openly gay mayor 15 years ago, another openly gay man is running for Chapel Hill mayor right now, and we have an openly Lesbian state senator right now.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:02 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,138,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

Yea, I was a little confused by this as well.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:42 PM

358 posts, read 855,538 times
Asheville

/end thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina