Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:42 PM

14 posts, read 31,839 times

Advertisements

Hi All, My husband and family are relocating from Florida because of his job. We are looking at housing in the Johnston County area, but don't know anything about it. The housing seemed to be more affordable for our needs.I would appreciate any info about schools (our kids are 4, 6,& 9), Baptist churches, pediatricians, and parks/recreation facilities. What areas are safe...hopefully all of them are. Thank you so much! Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 07:00 PM

787 posts, read 3,573,061 times
My best advice is get as near to the Wake County as you can without leaving Johnston County. Clayton would be the better bet. I lived in Selma, Kenly, and Micro for nearly seven years from 1985-1992 and I hated nearly every minute of it. The crime rate for drugs and DWI's is/was high. There is a lot of shoplifting going on there as well. And the schools weren't that much to write home about either although I do know that since I left there some new schools that look really nice have been added. I would do some heavy research before I decided to move to Johnston County ever again. But I do hear Clayton is pretty good, and it is only about 20 minutes from Raleigh the state capital. Good luck where ever you land. I would go to Raleigh for the medical services.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:43 AM

83 posts, read 351,389 times
Yes, Johnston County is affordable and a good place to live. As a real estate agent, I am very familiar with Clayton, Garner and an area called 4042 (intersection of 2 highways). The land is cheaper in Johnston County compared to Wake County. Since the land is cheaper, the home prices are more affordable. The school systems are getting better (I have friends and clients that are happy with the schools). For more school information you can go to www.ncreportcard.org for a good overview of all schools in NC.

No problem finding a Baptist church in Johnston nor Wake County.

As far as parks & recreation centers - they are still developing this part. But, Wake County is not far away and they have really good parks. Johnston County does have activities for children if that is what you are looking for.

Anyway, you can send me an e-mail with what you are looking for in a home and I can send you some MLS listings for homes that fit your needs. I am not a pushy real estate agent - I just enjoy helping people move to the area and find the perfect home! beaverc@hpw.com

Old 01-29-2007, 04:39 PM

9 posts, read 37,710 times
Default Johnston County? Try Four Oaks

You may like it in Four Oaks.. lived there for a short time when I first arrived in NC.

Good Luck

Old 01-30-2007, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,888 times
We are moving to Johnston Co. and although I grew up in Raleigh, I do not know the area. I have 3 elementary school kids and wanted to know the school which is least crowded? They all seem good on paper but I hear they are overcrowded. Any advice on schools and/or neighborhoods?

Thanks-

Old 01-31-2007, 06:55 PM

139 posts, read 549,242 times
I have lived in Clayton for 8 years and have really loved it-still small town enough to know people but close to big town things. Neighborhoods can be found that vary in all price ranges. Schools are pretty good and they are trying to keep up with growth. In Clayton, a new elementary school is already under way (to alleviate crowding at East Clayton) and new middle and highs are in the works. Do check the report cards. I can't speak from experience on the rest of the county, though.

We are getting ready to build in Flowers Plantation. Although this is a big development it is spread out nicely so doesn't seem so crowded. The elem schools are 1-2 miles away, a new shopping center/clubhouse is coming and lots are still a nice size.

There are 2-3 peds in town with many others 10-15 miles away-same for dentists, etc. And all the drs you want in Raleigh. All recs are here-city, Y, civitian, etc. in all sports-soccer, bball, baseball etc.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,866 times
Default Riverwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by naillady View Post
Hi All, My husband and family are relocating from Florida because of his job. We are looking at housing in the Johnston County area, but don't know anything about it. The housing seemed to be more affordable for our needs.I would appreciate any info about schools (our kids are 4, 6,& 9), Baptist churches, pediatricians, and parks/recreation facilities. What areas are safe...hopefully all of them are. Thank you so much! Diana
We moved to Riverwood Athletic Club three years ago and love it! The elementary and middle school are in the neighborhood, the kids can walk to school. There are many different price points in the development from town houses to custom. We also have an indoor/outdoor pool, gym, and child development center. Also by living in the community you can enjoy all of the other close by Fred Smith neighborhood amenities such as golf. Our neighbors are amazing, we often get together for play dates and parties. The ladies enjoy bunco and every once in a while the guys will get a poker game started.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:35 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,101,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
My best advice is get as near to the Wake County as you can without leaving Johnston County. Clayton would be the better bet. I lived in Selma, Kenly, and Micro for nearly seven years from 1985-1992 and I hated nearly every minute of it. The crime rate for drugs and DWI's is/was high. There is a lot of shoplifting going on there as well. And the schools weren't that much to write home about either although I do know that since I left there some new schools that look really nice have been added. I would do some heavy research before I decided to move to Johnston County ever again. But I do hear Clayton is pretty good, and it is only about 20 minutes from Raleigh the state capital. Good luck where ever you land. I would go to Raleigh for the medical services.
I agree as we lived in Johnston County for a number of years and when we decided to build in the country Johnston County was off our priority list. If, for some reason you have to live in Johnston County then I too would suggest Clayton. I suggest you thoroughly research Johnston County before committing yourself.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,712 times
Default Hopefully helpful information

Hi. Princeton is in both Wayne and Johnston counties. Depending on where your husband is going to be working, you may want to consider Wayne county. I only say this because Rosewood has great schools and sports program. I have heard nothing but good things about Faith Baptist Church, check out their website. They are right off of 70 on Grantham St. I wouldn't recommend Goldsboro City schools, I have not heard good things at all. Check this out ....newsargus.com. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naillady View Post

Old 01-29-2008, 08:29 PM

29 posts, read 82,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinghome View Post
We are moving to Johnston Co. and although I grew up in Raleigh, I do not know the area. I have 3 elementary school kids and wanted to know the school which is least crowded? They all seem good on paper but I hear they are overcrowded. Any advice on schools and/or neighborhoods?

Thanks-
Hi all

I live and work here in Clayton in Johnston county...they are doing great things with the schools here my son attends the new Middle school next year there will be a new High school and they are also building a new elementary school. Clayton is growing at a steady pace and Johnston County is on top of everything. Taxes are low and there is a lot of inventory for housing.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-29-2008 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: Edited to comply with City-Data's Terms of Service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina