Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 02:17 PM

24 posts, read 131,835 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have found this website several times while searching for info about North Carolina and decided to join today.....it has been very helpful

My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Northeastern part of NC....areas that are within about 1 hr 30 mins of Virginia (hampton roads area). My husband wants to get out of the Navy and will be doing so in 2009. We are starting are search now with hopes to make a move sometime this summer. We are looking to get more house for the money and hopefully a job for my husband in North Carolina versus having him commute everyday to Virginia. We are thinking of Edenton, Tyner, Hertford (city), Camden and possible Camden County, Gates County, and South Mills. We have seen so far Moyock, Shawboro, and Elizabeth City. I was not real happy with the downtown area of Elizabeth City, however I hear the outskirts are better???We will be visiting Edenton, Tyner, and Gates County (Gates) this weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good areas or comments about the areas we are interested in?

Jobs such as plants, factories, etc....or any other places maybe that pay $15-$20/hr or maybe $40k per year? I heard UPS has a hub in Edenton? Is this a big place or just a store front?

Experiences with buying Modular homes? Or with dealers in that area?

How have doublewides fared in hurricanes?

Septic tanks? If you have them pumped every 5 yrs is it worth it to get a better price on the land versus buying in an area with sewer?

Also about the areas of Cape Colony and Arrowhead beach (in Edenton)?

Also looking for a good school system?

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 9,455 times
Default moyock!

I like Moyock. It's nice,not too small. I think you said you've been but if not, you will probably like it. It's a little bit of a culture shock if you are from the city...or anywhere else basically,lol. It is only 4 miles to Chesapeake,VA(the state line,at least) and they just bulit a new Expressway. You can buy a Smart Tag or there is a back why which is actually about the same distance. There are lots of military families in Moyock,where I lived at least.
Moyock has one grocery store,Food Lion,a couple fast food places and a Dairy Queen. There is a flower shop, possibly two shops, a movie rental place, dry cleaner, 3 gas stations, a very busy denture company,pet speciality shop, a kennel that probbaly isn't well known, deli, Curves womens fitness center, a coffee shop I believe, and a couple churchs. It's not too different from a city except everything is smaller and closer together.We even have stop lights! Moyock is growing in size and is getting more shops all the time. My family has only been living there for four years and SO much has oppened up. The schools are supossed to be good but I don't really have any information. There is one high school for the county and it is fairly new(less than 7 or 8 yrs).There are two middle schools, one just opening four years ago, and three elementary schools, I believe. If you have kids already there isn't much to do and kids do sometimes to get into trouble(mailbox bashing, fireworks, be-be guns,just breaking things in general).
I do think the best part about Moyock is that it is so very close to VA. Everything you need is there or reasonably close by.Actually, a new Target just opened in Oct. It's in VA but it's 10-15 minutes away.
Housing cost, I'll just say that you can find any house for whatever amount you are looking to spend. I hope you check it out because it's a nice place.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:08 PM

24 posts, read 131,835 times
Thank you Future Pilot for your response We did drive through Moyock...it was beautiful. However, for what we are looking to spend the existing houses seem to be out of our price range. I wish we were able to spend more, but with my husband getting closer to entering the civillian workforce our income will be cut in half.....so we are looking to downsize a bit. I would still be interested in buying land there and putting a modular on it....so far I haven't seen any lots less than 40k, I am keeping my fingers crossed though. We had lunch that day at Southland and did drive around for awhile...it was really a very nice place. Almost like the air was different there...lol.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 20,130 times
Default The Outskirts of Elizabeth City, NC

Hi JenyPeny,

I don't have much information to offer you on the details of your posting since I too am soon to be in Elizabeth City as a relocater.

So hope this helps you some.
Sincere Regards, Soon2BNEC

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-31-2007 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 08-04-2007, 12:42 PM

44 posts, read 200,846 times
You do need help if you are moving to Northeast NC!

Old 08-04-2007, 12:48 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,184,736 times
Quote:
Experiences with buying Modular homes? Or with dealers in that area?

How have doublewides fared in hurricanes?
Do NOT do a manufactured home, they do not fair well in hurricanes at all.

Modulars are NOT manufactured homes at all. People get those confused. See these two threads for more discussion on the subject:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...lar-homes.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/south...-have-any.html

Liz

Old 05-13-2008, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,709 times
Default Northeast North Carolina

I was just looking at your post and wondered if you had moved to NE NC yet? We moved here a year ago from Norfolk and love it in Hertford. Let me know if you would like some information from someone happy here. I was born and raised in Norfolk and didn't want to leave. But now we are very happy here and are glad we relocated.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,631 times
Default moving to nc question

Just saw your post as I was looking for fireworks locations :) Not sure if you moved yet since it's now July 2nd but we recently moved from Virginia to South Mills, NC. Took a little time to get used to at first but we love it now, once all of the smoke eventually goes away :) I work in Newport News and commute everyday and while the mileage is far, the time isn't. We are a little over 3 miles from the border, I cut through Deep Creek in Chesapeake, and then hit 664...total it's about a 45 minute drive if no traffic. I know some people that work here that come from Virginia Beach, etc. and it takes them just as long because of traffic. There are a lot of rumors where I live about a golf course, some businesses, etc. that are being planned but would take a few years at least. Oh, forgot to mention, I moved into the Camden Plantation area and I know they have a lot of new homes still for sale. One thing though, don't let people tell you that it's so much more cheaper to live in NC. Yeah, you will get more land and home for the money, and the real estate taxes are lower (for now), but just about everything else is more expensive (sales tax, state income tax, etc.). So I would recommend if you are looking for work in NC to take that into consideration as well. I work in Va so pretty much we just use our federal return to cover the disparity in taxes every year. This is getting long so if you have any specific questions, please feel free to email me.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 14,879 times
I would advise against Hertford or Edenton. The crime is so awful, we never leave our houses anymore unless we're in the car. There are zero jobs above minimum wage. The cops in Hertford just up and quit, walked away. The mayor is an idiot, prices here are HIGH. my electric is about $1000 a month, water $200 a month, and my taxes tripled in one year. We're getting the heck out of here as soon as we can dump the house.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 PM

181 posts, read 338,841 times
RageinHelltown: Employing a most unusual sales tactic for someone who wishes to dump a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina