Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 AM

13 posts, read 35,690 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I've used city-data to do research as our family is moving from the UK to the States in four weeks time! I am from Massachusetts and don't want to go back there to live, as we can't afford it. We've been looking at Maine, but again, it's too expensive. When we set out on this process we were originally thinking of the Carolina's and have come back the that.

But, my question is how the heck do we do it? Most the rents I have looked at, you have to have verifiable employment. Well, we can't get employment until we are actually there. We've tried. I can't tell you how many resumes I've sent and get no response and I think that is because we aren't physically there yet. We also can't afford to stay in a motel/hotel for any length of time, it's a waste of money. We are in our 40's but life has been tough for us here and we haven't got much cash. We want a place that we can raise our two little boys in where they will get a sense of community and neighborliness. A place where there is lots of outdoor stuff to do, but not hours away from the beach. Also, my husband and I are both experienced office people, but are willing to do just about anything, I would love to work with animals/horses for instance.

Does anyone have any practical advice as to get over these hurdles?

Thank you,

Karen and her gang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,031,863 times
Karen, you say you're from Massachusetts. Are you an American? What about your spouse? Do you have any family members in the states? Have you spoken to an immigration lawyer yet?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,440,760 times
i dont think the question is how to get into the US>

Karen, it might actually be easier if you do go back to Mass. and live there for a few months to a year. this is assuming you still have family there that can host you at least for a few months.
then it will be easier to get an apartment once you have established some kind of credit here in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina