U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM

3,651 posts, read 5,631,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by needthesun View Post
Can you elaborate on this?

I am familiar with Harrisonburg as I graduated from JMU, though that was 15 years ago and I know it has changed since then, plus at the time I was in college and not looking at things from a "moms" perspective.

I don't necessarily want boring, we do like to go out and do things, especially with the kids, but I don't want a super liberal, party type place either.
As far as I can tell, it's still pretty much Harrisonburg = JMU, FYI. Not much else in the immediate area. Probably still a good area to do things like biking fishing etc, but nothing really in the way of "city stuff" (concerts theater etc) if that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Raleigh and Charlotte still have big conservative areas, but you won't find a mjority of conservative folks in these places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperman View Post
The Charlotte area seems perfectly placed for week-end trips to mountains, beaches, Atlanta, DC, Williamsburg, etc.
Just FYI DC is about 6 hrs away, Atlanta 4. To each their own but for me that's quite a drive for a weekend.

PS for those of you suggesting Greenville: why? Just wondering.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 AM

45,120 posts, read 56,997,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
As far as I can tell, it's still pretty much Harrisonburg = JMU, FYI. Not much else in the immediate area. Probably still a good area to do things like biking fishing etc, but nothing really in the way of "city stuff" (concerts theater etc) if that matters.

Just FYI DC is about 6 hrs away, Atlanta 4. To each their own but for me that's quite a drive for a weekend.

PS for those of you suggesting Greenville: why? Just wondering.
I too think Greenville would fit your criteria - it is conservative, nearer to mountains than Charlotte or Raliegh for sure, is not too big and has a pretty good local economy.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 9,737 times
Default Some Great Towns

You have chosen some wonderful destinations as lovesMountains said. I would add the following:

Charlotte is a favorite for me because it is so well located--just a few hours to the coast, the mountains, major cities (Atlanta, DC) and some smaller ones (Charleston, Savannah) and has the four seasons but very mild winters and a huge sun index. The airport is international. Yes...Carolina blue is pretty unbeatable.

I love Charleston for visiting, but they get hammer-hit with storms and the east coast major earthquake fault is just off that coast.

Harrisonburg is my hometown and I have saved a special place for this town. It has grown tremendously in recent decades as folks longing to leave the stress of the cities (DC) retire in that valley. It's once small town college is now an accredited university and this has helped grown the town.

Don't know much about Boise, but from what little I've heard, it's a nice choice as well.

Good luck and happy choosing.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:18 PM

535 posts, read 1,128,536 times
Greenville SC is fairly affordable. Taxes in SC are lower. Close to the mountains and an easy drive to the beach. No idea how much sun they get.

I go through SAD times too, we just had 2 weeks of overcast/rain in Asheville and it was killing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina