Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 11:34 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardeny
Will all due respect, I searched the forums before creating this thread and couldn't find the response I was looking for. I certainly hope this thread doesn't turn ugly like that "racism" thread.

My basic question is, could I please be adviced what areas to avoid.. I read comments and opinions on the subject, but no specific posts as to which areas are being the most bombarded. I'm guessing Charlotte and Raleigh are the top ones.

Thanks..
There's no clustering of illegals on a per capita basis to my knowledge in NC. Anywhere there is a demand for cheap labor, i.e. below minimum wage, you'll find illegals, which is just about everywhere. Could be agriculture in the most rural areas, could be construction in the biggest cities and everything in between, you name it. I'm sure you get the general idea.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:53 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
I always concede to your wise, local expertise mm34b, but why do internet sites claim Hendersonville as "ground zero for the new Latino South?" (their words, not mine.) Reading same makes me not want to scout out the area at all, since why, in fleeing California, would I want to embed myself in any "new California?" I loathe my home state!

Old 05-28-2006, 11:56 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
One thing that NC doesn’t have that places like CA, AZ and TX have is an underground infrastructure and direct border access.
In CA every government agency is complicit in the invasion. They have been looking the other way for at least the 36 years I have lived there. They have their people in every aspect of government. I can tell you first hand they will hire one of their own before considering a white man. It use to be you had to hire the Mexican first over the white man and now that it is mostly Mexicans that’s all they hire forget about diversity.
Hopefully NC won’t go the way of the other border states. I believe the more Americans that move to the south the better. Maybe it can be the last stand for the American way of life. Don’t believe the lies that they want to be Americans. All you have to do is look at CA and you will see assimilation is the last thing they want.

Old 05-28-2006, 01:04 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
I always concede to your wise, local expertise mm34b, but why do internet sites claim Hendersonville as "ground zero for the new Latino South?" (their words, not mine.) Reading same makes me not want to scout out the area at all, since why, in fleeing California, would I want to embed myself in any "new California?" I loathe my home state!
Good question.

Many decades ago Henderson County was the major producer of apples and still is by Southern standards. The mostly Mexican migrants came to pick, sort, grade and box the apples for shipping. Cash only, no benefits, no questions asked. After "harvest season" they would move on to other unskilled, labor-intensive, seasonal work throughout the South and beyond until the following summer when they would return again for a few months.

Over the years the apple orchards started giving way to residential and commercial development due to the growing popularity of NC mountain tourism, retirement and vacation homes. Henderson County really doesn't have much of any other common industry to speak of that's not related to the above.

Many of these migrants eventually assimilated into the local population and no longer follow the various agricultural growing seasons that they once did. It's hard to say what percentage of their remaining population are illegal, but I wouldn't say rural Henderson County is much of a Hispanic hot-spot. Even when it was, it was only that way during apple harvest season.

Out of the 11 Southern states, NC ranks 5th in Hispanic population percentage. The average percentage of the South as a whole is around 7% Hispanic. Future trends are anyone guess.

I do know that Hispanics (mostly of Mexican origin) make up around 6% of the population of Henderson County. Our Hispanic population is only slightly above the overall NC average of 5%. Henderson County is still around 93% White, so the Hispanic community is the number one minority group. Our Black population is only around 3% which is much lower than the NC average of 22%, but that's true of all of the mountain counties for some unknown reason at least to me.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-28-2006 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-28-2006, 02:19 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times
I don't know that a lot of the immigrants around here are worried about driver's license or insurance either. The courts are full of them every week here that are charged with no operator's license and no insurance. And in North Carolina you have to maintain liability insurance to keep a car/truck on the road. That is in addition to yearly inspections. At the risk of scaring someone, we lost a woman down here about 10 years ago. And the 17 year old illegal immigrate that hit and killed her and injured her husband not to mention left 2 girls motherless was only deported back to Mexico. Oh they locked her up when she got out of the hospital. But once it was learned that she was here illegally, they deported her back to Mexico. We had another 21 year old illegal that got a 12 year old pregnant and he too was deported back to Mexico. I had heard that once she got 18, he came back and married her and they had another child together. But still. If that had been a 21 year American man "raping" a 12 year old, they would have literally tar and feathered him as the saying goes. I have no problem with anyone wanting a better life. But good heavens do it the right and legal way. I saw a story about a border patrolman saying that he had seen women get into the United States while they were in labor and actually give birth in America. They were begging for American birth certificates for their children. There is also some law that a child now has to have American citizens for parents before they are just automatically granted citizenship. It will be interesting to see what happens. We are about 45% white and about 48% Arrican American give or take a couple of percentages here and there. The rest are the minority of hispanics and maybe a few American Indians. But they do jobs that we use to do like the tobacco and any type of field work that we did in my generation. So I guess if they are coming here legally and doing the work no one else does, there is some good to it. But just know that they should be willing to learn the language here and abide by the same laws we do.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:32 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
bethany, I am squirming with envy at your last post. While the whole scenario is so sad, my own car was totaled by a foreign national, driving without any driver's license whatsoever, no insurance obviously, who lied to the police. But, in Los Angeles, under Special Order 41, law enforcement is not allowed to ask for any verification of legal residence in the U.S. Instead of being deported, this meanie got away scot-free, while my insurance went up as the only traceable, licensed driver in the accident.

I hope my future NC friends here understand the nature of my questioning. You have no idea how horribly a foreign national majority which despises American citizenry can affect every aspect of your life, not just in obvious ways like all signs in English being replaced with those of foreign languages. I do believe in a fair shake for all. Having said that, I have had so disproportionate a tally of horrible things caused by foreign nationals (defiantly unassimiliated illegals) flung at me on a daily basis I really am leary of that as a majority. I do ask questions like this for a reason, much as it would have been practical in the bad old days for an African-American to ask whether or not there was a Ku Klux Klan majority in a town one might otherwise consider relocating to. Thank you for your responses.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
bethany, I am squirming with envy at your last post. While the whole scenario is so sad, my own car was totaled by a foreign national, driving without any driver's license whatsoever, no insurance obviously, who lied to the police. But, in Los Angeles, under Special Order 41, law enforcement is not allowed to ask for any verification of legal residence in the U.S. Instead of being deported, this meanie got away scot-free, while my insurance went up as the only traceable, licensed driver in the accident.

I hope my future NC friends here understand the nature of my questioning. You have no idea how horribly a foreign national majority which despises American citizenry can affect every aspect of your life, not just in obvious ways like all signs in English being replaced with those of foreign languages. I do believe in a fair shake for all. Having said that, I have had so disproportionate a tally of horrible things caused by foreign nationals (defiantly unassimiliated illegals) flung at me on a daily basis I really am leary of that as a majority. I do ask questions like this for a reason, much as it would have been practical in the bad old days for an African-American to ask whether or not there was a Ku Klux Klan majority in a town one might otherwise consider relocating to. Thank you for your responses.
Glad to help and I certainly understand how you feel. My daughter was in a wreck in Raleigh when she was about 20 or so. Mind you she is only about 103 pounds soaking wet. But the idiot that hit her was drunk and twice her size. She bails out of the car and lit into him with both barrels. And he was from out of state. No insurance, no license for either state, and to top it all off he tried to hit her. A man driving behind her stopped and called the police and calmed the man down. Granted she shouldn't have provoked him probably but if she hadn't, he would have hit and run. They locked him up and I don't know what became of him. But I hope he had to stay there a while. I would have to say that in Greene County were I am is a rural county and there are a lot of illegal hispanics here that do the farm labor. Don't even think about going to the one grocery store we have in town on Saturday afternoon. The school bus loads of these illegals is in there and I would be willing to bet that out of 100 you might find 2 that knows enough English to get by and that is it. Beyond that, it is frustrated to try and understand what they are saying and I guess it is frustrating for them as well. But apparently not enough for the most of them to learn to speak English. The kids fair a little better. We had one of the most beautiful young girls to come up here looking for a lawn mower. This girl was gorgeous. And she was about 13 and the only one of her clan that knew any English. She was almost fluent so they must have been here a while.

As for the Miller family, the husband remarried a woman with a daughter of her own and they are doing well now. But it was so horrible. I knew the woman fairly well and she was only about 34 when she died. The children were about 10 & 12 when their mother died. The husband required surgery but he was released long enough to attend his wife's funeral and then checked right back in the hospital.

I can get along with most anyone. I just want anyone that comes to this country or state to be expected to follow the laws as the rest of us have to or face the consquences. This mess about deported them and letting them get away with serious crimes is ridiculous.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:02 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,139 times
I have been told the TRIAD area is a growing Hispanic area. We are most likely relocating to that area and I am quite accustomed to people warning me that NC is humid or has hurricanes when I share my plans about moving to NC, but I never expected to also be told it is one of the highest growing Hispanic area. I am guessing that the stats are slightly skewed since the population of them is so low, that when it grows, the percentage actually seems higher. For example, I was researching a school near where I was looking at a house and it stated 22% Hispanic. I thought it seemed high for NC and then I realized it was only 50 Hispanic children for the whole school. At least that is my guess about why it seems like a large Hispanic population is moving into the state.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:31 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
NC is probably having a large illegal population boom because of the demand for cheap labor on the farms and the enormous amount of construction. It is very rare to see a construction worker in NC that isn't hispanic. Seriously. I'm not trying to be stereotypical that's just the truth. The general and sub-contracters are usually black or white and that's about it. The rest are almost always hispanic.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
NC is probably having a large illegal population boom because of the demand for cheap labor on the farms and the enormous amount of construction. It is very rare to see a construction worker in NC that isn't hispanic. Seriously. I'm not trying to be stereotypical that's just the truth. The general and sub-contracters are usually black or white and that's about it. The rest are almost always hispanic.

And this about covers it. We have sweet potatoes, cucumbers, some tobacco although not as much as when I was a child, cotton, and soy beans crops at least here. And I would be willing to bet you couldn't find a 13 year old white boy out there working if your life depended on it. When I was a child, I grew up on a farm. And we were either out there doing something if it was nothing but carrying water to the field or barn. My male cousins were driving the tractor long before they should have been. Thinking back I know how dangerous it was. I had an aunt that had 4 sons. The youngest was about 6 this particular year so mind you I would have been about 4. But I was at the barn when the tractor started up from across the road. My aunt stopped what she was doing, went across the road and got on the tractor and stopped it before it reached the road. Why you ask? Because Bobby was too small to reach the brake properly and actually stop the tractor had a car been coming. (I had sisters) So we only either worked at the barn or helped with the cooking. I did do some barn work when I was younger but I never rode anything like a tobacco harvester that literally rides down the rows of tobacco and they skip the route with the tractor with this. My mother bless her heart would ride it but she never allowed me to because my sisters said I was so clumsy as a child that I could trip over the flowers in the floor covering. She was afraid that I would fall off. And I probably would have. But the workers now or either all hispanic with an occasional Africa American or someone that is just passing some time to see what harvesting is all about. Probably a future agriculturist. While it is nice to have someone to do the "dirty work" they also have access to food stamps and medicaid and the like. And all they have to do is have one child that is an American citizen to get it. And it is a drain on the economy here. Like I stated earlier, move here legally, work here legally and speak the language. Some of us are just too old to learn Spanish. If I were younger, I would learn Spanish and hire myself out as a translator into the court system. Court is an exciting place to be on Friday's around here. It is full of hispanic offenders that have no clue what they are being charged with and I would be willing to bet that at least 75% of them are charged with either or a combination of driving without a license, no liability insurance, improper registration, DWI (driving while impaired), or expired registration. They come here, get a car and drive. No stops at DMV for anything. But remember also, I am in a totally rural county. I don't know what the cities are doing for the illegals. My son now lives in the house that I grew up in that was built in 1949. And I go over there and look around and the barns are gone. The tobacco is gone. The man that rented the farm this year is planting cotton. Winds of change I suppose. And I think back and wonder how we did it all without hispanics? I don't suppose we will know because the work of the fields is theirs now. I don't envy them at all. I just wish they had higher expectations for themselves than they seem to do when they get here.
Another interesting thing happened in Duke a few years back. A 17 year old girl needed a heart and lung transplant and she went to Duke to get it done. Remember she and her entire family were here illegally. Something went terribly wrong and she received an incapitable donor's organs and she was dying. They managed to repeat the surgery with a capitable donor's organs but she died anyway after about a week or so after the second surgery done within 72 hours of the first. The family wanted her buried in Mexico but didn't go back with her body for fear that once in Mexico they wouldn't be allowed back to North Carolina. And this girl had been sick her entire life. They probably had been here at least 10 years illegally. The other question was that clearly they had a wrongful death case and a medical malpractice case going. But should they be allowed to collect and mitigate a case in a place that they were in illegally? I don't know whatever happened with this as it just faded away. But I would be interested to know whatever happened with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina