Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 07:46 AM

34 posts, read 71,941 times

Advertisements

My wife an I are considering a relocation from Long Island to NC. I actually graduated from NC State and know the Raleigh area somewhat. If we were to move to the Raleigh area, we would most likely go to Cary. HOWEVER, I am from Long Island. And there is one thing that people from Long Island seem to desire...water! So, I have heard a lot about Wilmington and would like to know what others think. Can someone please add comments about the differences between Cary and Wilmington. Please be specific in regards to schools, taxes, house prices, Quality of Life, airports, etc. I'm looking for both Pro's and Con's. My family is very young and energetic. My wife is a PA and I am in Pharmaceuticals. We have two boys under 3 years old. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:55 AM

183 posts, read 671,345 times
I live in the Raleigh/Durham area now (Clayton), but before that I lived in Wilmington for almost 20 years. In my opinion, here are the pros and cons of Wilmington:

Pros:

Historic downtown scenery
Proximity to the beach
History of the area
Lots of good restaurants

Cons:
Lack of jobs
Cost of living vs. low income
High taxes
Home/Car Insurance costs
Crime on the rise (especially in contrast to Cary)
Poorly run city government
Poor road infrastructure for the growth of the area

My personal opinion of Wilmington is that it's a great place to have a second home, a beach house, or to retire, but for a young couple, especially with your chosen profession, the Cary area would be MUCH better for you.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the reply. All the things you mentioned are pretty much the reasons why we are relocating in the first place. Thanks again. More comments from all are appreciated.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:37 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,220 times
Thanks for asking the question that I was going to ask next (Cary vs. Wilmington). As much as I hate to admit it, if we northerners want to relocate for a better qualilty of life, unless we are retiring, it appears that Wilmington is not the place for young people who want a good, viable job market. Unfortunately, this means being a 2.5 hour drive away from the beach which is difficult for me because even New Jerseyans love their trips to the Jersey shore, and I am no more than an hour from the nearest beach, but in NC, I wouldn't be able to ever make a day trip. And that's 2.5 hrs without traffic. Now that so many people are relocating to the Triangle area, I wonder if the traffic is going to get as bad as it is in NY and NJ when heading towards the beaches...I think I might try for a second home or at least annual rental at one of the beach communities...but maybe not Wilmington because of the crime on the rise....

Last edited by onegreatnurse; 08-11-2008 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-11-2008, 09:40 AM

114 posts, read 373,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Thanks for asking the question that I was going to ask next (Cary vs. Wilmington). As much as I hate to admit it, if we northerners want to relocate for a better qualilty of life, unless we are retiring, it appears that Wilmington is not the place for young people who want a good, viable job market. Unfortunately, this means being a 2.5 hour drive away from the beach which is difficult for me because even New Jerseyans love their trips to the Jersey shore, and I am no more than an hour from the nearest beach, but in NC, I wouldn't be able to ever make a day trip. And that's 2.5 hrs without traffic. Now that so many people are relocating to the Triangle area, I wonder if the traffic is going to get as bad as it is in NY and NJ when heading towards the beaches...I think I might try for a second home or at least annual rental at one of the beach communities...but maybe not Wilmington because of the crime on the rise....
Unless you go during a busy time, it's really only 2 hours (or just over) to get there. True, it's not next door but you can do a day trip. Weekends it's not a big deal.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:49 AM

183 posts, read 671,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
My parents still live down there...From Cary it would probably be about another 15 minutes further, but I can make it to Wilmington from Clayton in about an hour and 40 minutes, so it's not too awful. It's a straight shot too down I-40, and unless you're traveling on a holiday, it's typically not that bad traffic-wise.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Thank you for all the comments. I have now heard several times that Wilmington might not be the place to move to for a young family and that I am better off in Cary. However, aside from Wilmington, are there any area near the water that are known to be a great place to relocate to? Similar to how much press Cary gets??

Old 08-11-2008, 07:54 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times
how come people who want to live near the water and want jobs don't look at the VA beach/norfolk area? the history around there destroys the history in the wilmington area, and it's much more respected and preserved. I live in wilmington right now, and I am looking to relocate to raleigh. there are no good jobs here, and the decent jobs have 10,000 applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina