U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:00 PM

10 posts, read 59,481 times
Default Possibly relocating to Fayetteville

My fiance and I are possibly relocating to the Fayetteville area. I am in retail and would be working at Cross Creek Mall while my fiance would be looking for a position within the school system, preferably as a school psychologist. We are looking for a nice neighborhood in the area. I have read a lot of negativity in regards to Fayetteville but I have to believe that the whole city isn't bad. Any suggestions about areas to live would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,896,412 times
There is lots of good neighborhoods in Fayetteville. Like any military town some places are not family friendly.

I was stationed at Pope AFB for four years and then two years in Goldsboro. I retired and moved back to Fayetteville to stay. My wife and I are Realtors in Fayetteville. After living all over the world Fayetteville was not that bad and actually had a lot going for it. It is all a matter of perspective. Some folks are tranferred here and choose to hate it.

Here is the Cumberland County school website. They have open recruiting for school psychologists.

Vacancy_Announcement_Psy (http://www.hr.ccs.k12.nc.us/Certified%20Vacancies/Vacancy_Announcement_Psy.htm - broken link)

Old 08-12-2008, 12:05 PM

4,214 posts, read 11,408,198 times
Faabala what was your job at Pope?

I just did 8.5 years there and recently moved.

To the OP, just stay away from the Massey Hill area, Bonnie Doone, Shaw Rd/Murchinson Rd....those are probably the worst parts. And be careful, there's lots of wreckless drivers in town in a hurry to get somewhere.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:59 PM

I did Antiterrorism/Force Protection for the 23d Fighter Group Staff and the last year, 2006, as 43D Wing Alt Wing Antiterrorism Advisor.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 25,592 times
Default Advice

Don't I repeat Don't move to Fayeteville. You will regret it. There is no where you can live (even the "NIce Areas") That aren't invested with crime. Move somwhere close by like Raeford, Hope Mills, Carolina Lakes, Woodlalke, Just not Fayeteville!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:41 PM

635 posts, read 1,807,607 times
I can't really speak for Fayetteville, but if you don't mind a 20-30 minute commute, Sanford is an option. Sanford housing is very affordable, schools are good, has a nice small-town feel(even though a mid-sized city), and the area is really on a slow and steadily improving growth trajectory in my opinion.

Sanford is nearly equidistant from Greensboro, Raleigh/Durham, and Fayetteville(give or take 15-20min) so one is within an easy drive to bigger city benefits.

Al

Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gawrylow View Post
Don't I repeat Don't move to Fayeteville. You will regret it. There is no where you can live (even the "NIce Areas") That aren't invested with crime. Move somwhere close by like Raeford, Hope Mills, Carolina Lakes, Woodlalke, Just not Fayeteville!

Even nice places like Kings Grant, McKinley Reserve, Greystone Farms, etc?

I do live and work in Hope Mills so I can agree about that.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:59 PM

10 posts, read 59,481 times
Thank you faabala for that link to the Cumberland School District, it is much appreciated. We have been looking at Spring Lake (gated apartment complex) as a possible location and a gated apartment complex in Fayetteville called Legacy at Cross Creek. I understand that crime seems to be the reason for many individuals dislike for the city of Fayetteville but after looking at some crime rate indices places like Hope Mills, and Sanford have similar crime indices (although slightly lower). Any further input is much appreciated. Thanks again!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,490 times
I've been in the Fayetteville area for a little less than a year, and I must say that if you have plans to relocate here PLEASE RECONSIDER!!! I've found the people here to be rude and the job availability to be pitiful, just like the wages offered, it's especially bad when the staff of the employment agencies tell you that "there is nothing here"... If you are military then you'll have no problems because the city caters to you, but if you are a spouse or relative trying to make it, good luck..... I myself have had my fill of Fayetteville and will be moving back home to Memphis.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:15 PM

982 posts, read 2,502,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrose View Post
Thank you faabala for that link to the Cumberland School District, it is much appreciated. We have been looking at Spring Lake (gated apartment complex) as a possible location and a gated apartment complex in Fayetteville called Legacy at Cross Creek. I understand that crime seems to be the reason for many individuals dislike for the city of Fayetteville but after looking at some crime rate indices places like Hope Mills, and Sanford have similar crime indices (although slightly lower). Any further input is much appreciated. Thanks again!
Legacy at Cross Creek is right off of All American Freeway that goes to Bragg. Its also very close to the mall. I use to live in a subdivision across from there and really liked the area. There is a house in that subdivision that is up for rent. Your also close to everything.
Fayetteville is not all that bad. Its what you make of it (just like any place you move to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina