U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 AM

91 posts, read 250,974 times

Advertisements

I'm not in your field but this "problem" covers all I'm sure. Some say there are just too many applicants these days - the online degree programs + young grads (early 20's) have really escalated the number of degreed candidates.

Also SOME major corps with sizeable HR depts simply "post" job openings for the sake of appearances - they probably have a slew of candidates to choose from the pool of their current employees/referrals and/or persons from other branches that may want to relocate. IF they dont find someone in this pool - then MAYBE they will sort through the hundreds of applicants.

Also - onc you surpass the 10 yr mark in experience - you have to make a choice - hold out for the job willing to pay you for your experience OR accept lower wages. Its a fact that there are PLENTY of people willing to do your job (ANY JOB ) for thousands LESS than what you feel you are owed - AND BUSINESSES KNOW THIS.

Its a bummer - but its a fact of life. You may have to regroup & look into changing your career - Enviro, financial, & medical will always pay above the grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 08:28 AM

7,183 posts, read 11,204,939 times
I came to work for my current employer via the online application process. I can't recall if I applied through Monster or went to the company website. But within a week or so, I had a phone interview followed by a face to face with my hiring manager and a face to face with their immediate manager.

I had a phone call two days later asking for my fax number so they could send an offer letter. That was really cool because I was miserable in my current position and was ready to simply resign in order to dedicate myself to finding a new job.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:38 AM

7,183 posts, read 11,204,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADASGIRL View Post
I'm not in your field but this "problem" covers all I'm sure. Some say there are just too many applicants these days - the online degree programs + young grads (early 20's) have really escalated the number of degreed candidates.
This was a surprise to me when I was looking to make a change from the miserable job I was in. (I relocated as the result of a merger and I found that I truly did not like working for the "new" company.) So the hunt began...

When I applied at one company for a Territory Manager position, I interviewed here in Charlotte twice and was called to Atlanta for final interview. It was there that I learned that three of us made the cut to get to the final interview out of 125 resumes that they considered for the position. I would up being #2 of the final 3.

On one hand, I was really bummed out to go through that entire process to learn I came in 2nd (meaning no job offer), but I was proud to have done so well in that large pool of applicants. I couldn't believe they had over 125 resumes (plus the ones they screened out) for a Territory Manager role. Wow!

Last edited by Stripes17; 08-30-2008 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-30-2008, 10:27 AM

3,424 posts, read 9,234,136 times
I landed my current position by posting my resume online. And the last two jobs I had prior to this relied heavily on online job sites for recruitment.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 9,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeenslee View Post
I've applied for several jobs online including entry level positions. I never get a response. I have over 10 years experience in my field (Criminal Justice) as well as an associate's degree. I don't believe my qualifications are the problem but I do believe online applications and resumes are ignored. Has anyone ever gotten a response from applying online to employers. Do they even bother to review your resumes or applications. It feels like the response is always better when you apply in person or fax an application but I've been told by several employers to go online to apply for positions in their companies. Now I don't even bother because I feel like I'm wasting my time filling out something that will never be read. Please, if anyone has any suggestion or would like to share their online job searching experience I would appreciate it.

try going to a temp agency. they really do help! online resumes are BULL. but good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or