Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:31 PM

24 posts, read 94,067 times

Advertisements

OK. We're looking for a state to move to that has perfect weather. :-0
But, since that doesn't exist, we'll take the next best. ha
I am from Colorado, my husband is from Texas. But we've lived our entire marriage in Texas. (sad for me. LOL)

We've had it with Texas! Our daughters have a medical condition where they can't sweat and don't produce sufficient quantities of internal moisture. It's really hard to cope with it, living here, as we have to be inside with a/c on almost year round. It stinks!
Thus Texas' stupid climate has almost wiped out my oldest. One of her Drs said MOVE! So long story short- we are. Our house is sold and we leave in Sept, but don't know a good locale.

We need a place that gets barely any high heat, but it can't be freezing cold because being indoors with a heater on is just as bad, so not below freezing for months at a time. We need highs to not be above 85 ish for the most part. maybe for a few weeks, tops, but not for months at a time. Does that help or make sense?
They need to not be house bound anymore. Years of that have not been kind to my girls. If we don't find a place stateside that they can go outside regularly, I think we'll have to try outside the US.

We also homeschool so I need a free state for that (Texas is awesome for homeschoolers!) as we homeschool through to graduation.

Colorado is fine for the weather part, but is somewhat restrictive on their homeschool laws and real estate is just way overvalued.

We have no state income tax and a lot of all kinds of personal and religious freedom in Texas. But the weather stinks rotten!:-(
We want a place as free as TX, but without the ridiculous weather/climate.

We were looking at Idaho and someone there said they'd tried it and moved to NC shortly afterwards due to too much cold. So thought we'd look here and see what y'all can tell me about weather.

We know nothing about your state and so are looking at anything you care to share-
IF the weather is right. :-)

Do y'all eat everything deep fried like Texas? Or will we be able to find healthy, gluten free things(health reasons), sushi, non-fluoridated water(even if I have to buy it- again, health reasons). Good medical doctors and hospitals?
Stuff like that?

But it needs to be in an affordable (here we just sold our 10 acre place -heavily treed, horse barn, fenced, cross fenced, house, etc - for 160k) and safe area.
We like somewhat rural locations, but within 25 minutes of cities for shopping and stuff.
And are there any Calvary Chapel type churches there? (anything not emergent, not purpose driven, not mystical, not catholic might be fine)

It's a tall order but the more details, the more help I feel you can give me, since
then you won't be guessing. LOL
Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Great weather in North Carolina

Old 08-16-2008, 06:55 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Climate of North Carolina - http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm...Clim_NC_01.pdf

Historical Climate Summaries for North Carolina - http://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/his...orical_nc.html

Old 08-16-2008, 08:40 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Honestly, I think that most of North Carolina is out of the question for you purely because of the summers. The highs stay above 85F for the majority of the summer months in much of the state, often approaching the upper 90s. Here in the Raleigh-Durham area, we passed the century mark both this summer and last summer, too.

You might have more luck in western North Carolina near the mountains. If I were in your shoes & I was set on moving to NC, that's where I'd look. Check out the links mm34b posted and look at the numbers for Boone and you'll see why. The only problem is the mountainous areas also get cooler in the winter, but how cold it gets & how much snow a town receives can vary.

Other than that, I think you should consider the Pacific Northwest. I have friends who live in Seattle & the summers there sound amazing!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the info.
We are looking everywhere! We want to do this right and not make it worse on them.
We are also looking at Washington and Oregon, too.
It's really hard due to the cost of living being at least double as soon as you leave Texas! eek.

I keep thinking there just has to be somewhere with California weather that has freedom like Texas (and also as affordable as TX)!
I hope, anyway!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:09 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I have found that moving here from CA a couple of years ago the weather is very similar. A bit more humid but not that much to be honest. CA has become a lot more humid in recent years. I have a friend who lives here and she has the same condition as your kids. She cannot sweat. She seems to be fine here. During the hotter summer days she does stay in with her a/c during the hottest summer afternoons. The winters are very mild here as a rule--we do get some cold days. The summers can be quite warm but not anything horrible as a rule. That is a hard one---not to hot or to cold...and still reasonably priced...look around NC as some areas do run cooler in the summer months and yet not as cold in the winter. This is considered a micro-climate here so the temptures vary quite a bit. I'd think you could find a good, happy medium here and still have it be affordable. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:22 AM

What cities/area does your friend live in/near? What part do you suggest we look in for that nice climate? We are clueless about that area. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
My friend lives near Concord NC. But there are so many places to check out. Other people will post with ideas here....also check out other threads regarding the temperatures of different areas in NC. I, myself, am fairly new to the area (moved here to NC from CA two years ago) so I am far from the best resource. I only know of my friend who also suffers from the same problem your children suffer from so I know living here with that in mind can be done. I know we have loved our move here and it has been very posotive and yet affordable. The people here are the best!!

Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Boone, Asheville in NC, but actually you might want to check to see if this area is not too cold in the winter. Boone does get below zero sometimes, has significant snow, has months of quite cold weather, so it might be out. Asheville is not as cold, but it can get cold. Some winters have prolonged cold, others are milder. How about the Pacific Northwest? Its marine climate tends to have less extreme temperature swings.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 AM

309 posts, read 1,026,010 times
Sent you a direct message junglemom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina