U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:52 PM

195 posts, read 167,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
That's not what I mean. These cheaper subdivisions are constructed in such a way that speed is the primary goal. We passed a site on one weekend where we saw the foundation had been laid. Two weeks later, the house was complete, even to having the twig trees and shrubs planted. We gawked, but noticed that the entire process seems to be laid out in a stop watch/assembly line fashion. It reminded me of the post-WWII tract house subdivisions I've seen where there is a sudden influx of people looking for reasonable housing, so the developers get cracking and put up a whole subdivision in little time.
If they do a good job fine. Who cares. I went to our house daily an added nails, etc so it was what I wanted To each his own really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2006, 09:08 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,222,064 times
Some modular homes are constructed the same as any other house the only difference is the walls and other assemblies are constructed on ****.
These **** allow them to be constructed with a minimum amount of scrap and tolerances that cannot be easily duplicated on the job site. This allows the assemblies to be installed on site quickly. Everything including the insulation wiring, doors windows are already installed at the factory so the onsite builders are simply putting the parts together with a minimum amount of labor.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:30 PM

1,874 posts, read 6,884,938 times
I must be looking in the wrong places. I have checked out North Raleigh, Cary, Weddington, South Carolina. Have found a builder I love John weiland. But nothing we find is under $400-600K. What am I doing wrong? Sad but I was getting excited about the $400-600 price tag as I am coming from CA. excited until I see the prices everyone else is posting!

Old 06-01-2006, 12:28 PM

105 posts, read 584,694 times
Thank You all the great info!!

Old 06-01-2006, 12:46 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,340,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
I must be looking in the wrong places. I have checked out North Raleigh, Cary, Weddington, South Carolina. Have found a builder I love John weiland. But nothing we find is under $400-600K. What am I doing wrong? Sad but I was getting excited about the $400-600 price tag as I am coming from CA. excited until I see the prices everyone else is posting!
You have good taste! We have a friend that lived in Fort Mill (native to the Carolina area)...but once they saw they were building John Weiland homes close by...they pounced on one, bought and love it! (Bridgemill in Lancaster, SC)

Old 06-01-2006, 02:18 PM

9 posts, read 18,540 times
John Weiland homes are some of the hottest on the market. I'm a Realtor in Charlotte and I have had three people in the last month request a John Weiland home. Be sure to check out SkyBrook in Huntersville (just north of Charlotte) and best of luck!

Old 06-01-2006, 02:48 PM

1,874 posts, read 6,884,938 times
They look beautiful on paper and I am excited to see them IRL. OUr friends from SC drove down to Charlotte to check them out for us and told us they are gorgeous. What about quality? We will be leaving a home we purchased 3 years ago that was built by one of the industries top home builders and have had nothing but terrible issues with it since day 1. We will not buy that builder again but left us with such a terrible taste in our mouths that we have considered custom building a home. Is John Wieland considered a reputable builder? Good track record? I will certainly check out Skybrook as Huntersville is one of the towns on our list. Thank you for the tip!

Old 06-01-2006, 03:20 PM

9 posts, read 18,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
They look beautiful on paper and I am excited to see them IRL. OUr friends from SC drove down to Charlotte to check them out for us and told us they are gorgeous. What about quality? We will be leaving a home we purchased 3 years ago that was built by one of the industries top home builders and have had nothing but terrible issues with it since day 1. We will not buy that builder again but left us with such a terrible taste in our mouths that we have considered custom building a home. Is John Wieland considered a reputable builder? Good track record? I will certainly check out Skybrook as Huntersville is one of the towns on our list. Thank you for the tip!
They are beautiful IRL. I have been in the business since 2002 and my grandfather is a developer in the Lake Norman area. I have heard that two of the best home builders as far as quality is concerned are John Wieland and KB Homes. I have never heard any negative comments about homes by either of these developers. I just find it a good thing when people call me and request a John Weiland home specifically. I think that, in itself, speaks a thousand praises about the builder and the quality of his product.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:06 PM

212 posts, read 847,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew1230
They are beautiful IRL. I have been in the business since 2002 and my grandfather is a developer in the Lake Norman area. I have heard that two of the best home builders as far as quality is concerned are John Wieland and KB Homes. I have never heard any negative comments about homes by either of these developers. I just find it a good thing when people call me and request a John Weiland home specifically. I think that, in itself, speaks a thousand praises about the builder and the quality of his product.
KB homes in Arizona are NOT known for their quality and they charge extra for every little item.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:20 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,340,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll
KB homes in Arizona are NOT known for their quality and they charge extra for every little item.
I have heard nothing but good things about John Wieland (quality, etc)...I have not heard the same of KB homes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina