U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM

635 posts, read 1,397,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingnahurry View Post
Wow. Maybe I'm just lucky because I've definitely met more than just mexicans in NC. Granted I've been here pretty much all my short life but I've met dominicans, columbians, panamanians, puerto ricans, el salvadorians, and cubans. Idk. I guess the problem is that since the mexican population has exploded in recent years from migrant workers and things like that most people assume that most latinos they encounter are mexican even though thats definitely not the truth.
You know...I think too some people associate "Hispanic" with Mexico and don't consider other regions. I am half spanish (Spain, not Mexico). Technically because I am half I am Hispanic. I will admit I didn't fully understand what Hispanic meant for a long time. I grew up in a predominately caucasion environment and I finally learned as an adult where I fit in racially/ethnically. So I'm definitely looking forward to moving to NC and seeing the diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:26 AM

14,114 posts, read 20,790,596 times
LOL..I'm white and my bf is cuban. We're both from Miami..We are praying to find an authentic or semi decent Cuban restaurant in Charlotte..Any suggestions??

Old 03-23-2008, 02:36 PM

135 posts, read 462,670 times
I am colombian, born there adopted and then raised in NC. I have a bachelors degree and also in the Marine Corps and YES I am a US CITIZEN ! Ignorant people think that every tan person they see is mexican ! Just like every asian you see you think is Chinese. People automatically think I snuck over the border and I'm illegal. So many stupid ignorant people !! Quit hating on other races and be respectful to other people !

This land doesn't belong to anyone ! We are all Immigrants according to history!! Stop sterotyping ! I had a lady come up to me at walmart and say " Oh I know you don't speak english so I will help you with the do it yourself register" I was sooo mad ! And I replied " Matter fact I speak english and I have a college degree and I serve this country to protect ignorant people like yourself ! Go the f*CK away! " and I spoke with her manager !

40 % of the US ARMY is hispanic !
Moderator cut: flaming

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-24-2008 at 02:10 AM..

Old 04-12-2008, 03:10 PM

79 posts, read 164,942 times
From N.y De Colombia.... I come from queens and just recently moved to charlotte and wanted to meet some ppls from colombia and S.Aamerican Countries.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,418,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan View Post
From N.y De Colombia.... I come from queens and just recently moved to charlotte and wanted to meet some ppls from colombia and S.Aamerican Countries.
Im a native but I just wanted to tell you.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n279/the_big_dog/nc.jpg (broken link)
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 04-13-2008, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,063 times
HI, I just moved here 3 months ago,... from Clearwater, Fla to High Point,NC. The company I worked for moved here ,......It seems I am the only(Puerto Rican) non-Mexican here. Don't get me wrong, my best friend is Mexican. But Clearwater is a big melting pot so everyone felt comfortable and accepted. Oh, to make things worse here there is no radio station that plays any salsa,meregue or raggeton!!!! Am I the only one in High Point!?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-13-2008 at 09:49 PM..

Old 05-26-2008, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,042 times
Default Now i get why all my friends don't want to leave Miami.

Hi, I am from Miami and when i went to visit my family that moved to Virginia i was in total culture shock. Over there and I am pretty sure everywhere else, they belive Hispanics are either mexican, cuban, or puertorican. Here in miami we know better. We have cubans, colombians, puertoricans, brazilians, peruvians, bolivians, argentenians (what I am), chilean, venezulans, dominicans, panamanians, nicas (Nicaragua), Uruguayans, Spaniard, and even some Mexicans (although you hardly see any of them). And each culture is VERY different. Not just the way they look, but they're Spanish, they're food, everything. People in VA are so ignorant that they told me I looked white. Are u kidding me? Hispanics are also pale skinned, blonde, blue eyed or brown or dark brown skinned, they vary so much in appearance. More than any other race. I am blonde, hazel eyes and my sisters are blonde blue eyed, and i speak perfect Spanish and English. Oh and also, the few Spanish people (In miami we don't really say Hispanic or Latino, we say Spanish) were very poor. I am so used of my doctors, dentists, etc to be Hispanic that when i saw the way the hispanic teens my age looked it seemed unreal. They look like they just came to the U.S., with horrible clothes, or the ones i did see were ghetto and gangster looking. So wierd. Also, the white men that visit Miami go crazy for the Spanish girls here. Especially the Venezuelan and Colombian women. There are also some white ppl here, but they are the minority in Miami.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:03 AM

197 posts, read 616,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylenay View Post
I just wanted to see if there were other Hispanics, meaning, educated middle class Latinos, who love this country and abide by their government and contribute to the well being of this nation. And although extremely proud of their culture, also proud to be US Citizens. What I'm trying to get across is that not all Hispanics are illegal or work in agriculture.
Hi Cylenay,

YES! there is a good size group of Latinos that set a good example of what our heritage is all about, we need to keep up the good work and do our best to educate people about how wrong they are classifying every Latino under such stereotype.

I think you'd enjoy getting involve with the Latin-American Chamber of Commerce, also with some cultural organizations.

I (from Venezuela) being in the USA for 14 years, and preciously in Canada. My husband (born in Miami, Fl -Colombian heritage) we are both professionals and very proud to be USA citizens.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,023 times
Default Any one else from S. America

I have a friend whose neighbor just recently moved here from Uraguay, they live in Clemmons.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,023 times
Default Your no alone

My husband and I live in Greensboro and he's a native Colombian, who immigrated here about 10 years ago. And yes the only Spanish speaking stations play all Mexican music, but you might want to visit the nigth club Artistika. The owner is Argentinian and it's just a really nice spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina