Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:17 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRican View Post
HI, I just moved here 3 months ago,... from Clearwater, Fla to High Point,NC. The company I worked for moved here ,......It seems I am the only(Puerto Rican) non-Mexican here. Don't get me wrong, my best friend is Mexican. But Clearwater is a big melting pot so everyone felt comfortable and accepted. Oh, to make things worse here there is no radio station that plays any salsa,meregue or raggeton!!!! Am I the only one in High Point!?
Thank God there is no raggeton!!! There is nothing more annoying that having a car driving by blasting that horrible sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,040 times
my husband of almost 5 years is from peru and we were just discussing that there are two choices for entertainment around here. the american way or the mexican way. is there not anywhere to go or a place to meet other people from peru? or any part of south america???

Old 01-01-2009, 06:24 PM

7 posts, read 18,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Unfortunately it appears we cannot have a thread about this subject without someone bringing charges of racism into it.

I dont think its too much to ask of anyone to have people speak English in America, Spanish in Spain, German in Germany, Russian in Russia, etc..

Or the fact that people are in this country illegally (sorry but predominantly of hispanic descent) and you dont want them referred to as 'illegal', when that is the choice they made by entering ILLEGALLY into the U.S.
I absolutely refuse to get into another debate on this forum about this subject though.
I Agree with that 100%!! If people come here illegally they should be incarcerated until they pay back to NC all the resources they have drained! Nothing worse than a sneak thief!
Unless it is a drunk mesican without insurance or NCDL running a red light and killing a law abiding citizen!

Old 01-01-2009, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 18,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuertoRicanandHaitian View Post
Hello,

I know it sounds silly, but when I moved to Charlotte 4 years ago from New York, I swore that I was the only Puerto Rican in Charlotte. It's not until recently that I am coming across more Puerto Rican flags, which I can only assume is because more people are moving down from the North and up from Florida. I searched and searched and the only Hispanic culture that I could find was Mexican. Now don't get me wrong, nothing against the Mexican culture, but I'd love to find the other Spanish cultures in Charlotte. I've found bits and pieces of them around, but is there anyway to do a complete search. Meaning, how can I find a Puerto Rican or Dominican restaurant in Charlotte..or better yet, where can I find a bakery (Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican, etc.) Please, can someone help me, because there are certain things that I am desperately missing now that we live in NC and I have no clue how to find them. Even searching in Yellowpages.com or just doing plane google search does not provide any great results. Any information would be helpful.

Ms. Puerto Rican and Haitian
Are you a legal citizen? La Migra is watching........ If you are....no problem........welcome to NC

Old 01-03-2009, 11:05 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
There are Cubans moving up from Miami all the time. The bf and I (he's Cuban and I'm American) moved up in last April. Lots of people are getting out of Miami due to the overwhelming Spanish being spoken and not able to find a job unless you are bilingual. We really like it up here that everywhere you go you hear English. Every ONCE in a while you'll hear Spanish but no big deal. Very seldom.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:09 PM

17 posts, read 30,303 times
Default moving from south fla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
I have tried to explain that to some NC natives (I have lived in NC for several years, but I am originally from Florida). The term "Hispanic" in NC is virtually synonymous with Mexican. Growing up in FL, I thought of Hispanics more in terms of Cuba, Puerto Rico, or eslewhere in the Caribbean. There is a big difference between Mexicans and Cubans.

I also tried to explain that Cuban food is different than Mexican food. If there is a Cuban restaurant in the Triad, I am not aware of it.
hello. i see your from fl. im looking to leave fl for nc. where do you suggest? im from pompano beach,broward county.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:19 PM

17 posts, read 30,303 times
Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyelina View Post
I`m Anyelina, live in Boca RAton, florida and I`m going to relocate to Asheville the next year! 2008.

I would like to know if in NC the people discriminate hispanics...don`t want to feel bad there for being hispanic!!

I am a licensed massage therapist in florida, I would highly appreciate any suggestions about my profession at this city, thankyou!
hello im from deerfield looking to relocate to either nc or ga. no work here for me anymore. looking for something new. well hope things work out for you.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylenay View Post
Nothing against the Mexicans but are there any other Hispanics here in NC? Just moved here a year ago and seems like Hispanic is synonym for Mexican! They aren't the only hispanics here, are they?????
Wow!!! I am a little late to join this topic. Well, here in Charlotte (and everywhere in NC) Mexicans are by far the majority of Hispanics. With that said, I would have to say more non-Mexican hispanics have been moving in as of late. South Blvd. in Charlotte (from the intersection of Woodlawn to Sharon Rd West---about a four mile stretch) is majority hispanic. Almost every apartment, business, and school in this area are 50% hispanic atleast. Most are Mexican, but there are MANY Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and Brazilians (I know, most of Brazil speak Portuguese, but you get my point). South and Central America is definately represented here in Charlotte's southside.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 AM

60 posts, read 161,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Thank God there is no raggeton!!! There is nothing more annoying that having a car driving by blasting that horrible sound.
I wish I could listen to something else than Mexican and American. I would love to hear a more diverse radio station here. I love "some" reggeton but I want to hear some Salsa and merengue too. Where I live too much Colombians and all I hear at their club is Salsa music. I was losing my mind. BTW I'm Mexican and Colombian!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitution Party North View Post
Are you a legal citizen? La Migra is watching........ If you are....no problem........welcome to NC
Oh boy, get yourself informed: Puerto Ricans ARE U.S. citizens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina