Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times

Advertisements

FYI I was speaking generally and again pardon if it came out wrong Again rants aside, my real point is I think it's debatable whether it's better or worse in NC and likely varies from area to area. NC has its share of racism I think, but (like most places) it's less so nearer the city and more so farther out in more rural areas - again very generally.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:28 PM

28 posts, read 63,612 times
I would say to move to Charlotte......

Old 10-07-2008, 01:31 PM

28 posts, read 63,612 times
Smile Move to the South Charlotte Area

Charlotte is the "Yankee Anix" Meanning any one thats not from here.....I live their and love it, moved up here from Miami.....They need a Pollo Tropical but i think thats it, love the melting pot...in this area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melina635 View Post
Hi...thanks for the info...let me explain....First off I'm in Central Cali. We did live in the bay area, and it was more tolerant, but in central cali, there are two types of people. White and Mexican. Everyone who speaks spanish, is perceived to be Mexican. Everyone thinks we're Mexican...which I guess is okay, but to be honest, in THIS particular area, we have noticed there is a clear distinct division of class/race. All the bosses, rich people, and owners of business are white, and all the people doing the sh*tty jobs are Mexican. Now, whether this is b/c they are illegal, or white people settled here first, or whatever, I don't know. I'm just pointing out, thats how it is. In Miami, where I am from, there are hundreds of different types of hispanics, and when someone hears you speaking spanish, they don't assume you are "Mexican" or any other type of hispanic. There is also an even spread of Latinos in good jobs, and powerful positions and whites in not so good jobs, and vice versa. It just seems more divided here, more like your race has some sort of relation to your job position, not saying your race is the reason for your sh*tty job, I'm just saying there is a connection. I just don't want to end up in the same situation in NC.
And finally, (now I'm rolling my eyes) you need to relax! I'm just pointing out what's going on HERE in this area. Yes, the white people here judge my husband more. I'm sorry to say it, but its true! Maybe they haven't met that many other races, maybe its a local culture, who know the reason. They weren't like that in Miami, or the Bay area. And I never said Whitey was evil. I'M WHITE myself. I think all races are capable of good, bad, racism, ect. It sounds like you are experiencing allot of reverse racism by the tone of your response, and I'm sorry for that. It sucks either way. I also did live in certain parts of Miami, where I routinely got harassed for being white. Every race is dumb that way. Just because I said the White people here are judging him, I don't mean the entire white race is evil and judgmental. I'm just saying, we have experienced a vast 'lack of tolerance' and perhaps 'lack of cultural knowledge' here by the white folks, as far as it pertains to my husbands ethnicity.
whew....okay, well, thanks for the info anyway, I really appreciate it, and sorry if I made you upset. I didn't mean to, perhaps I spoke too bluntly- It's a Miami thing

Old 10-07-2008, 03:14 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban71 View Post
Charlotte is the "Yankee Anix" Meanning any one thats not from here.....I live their and love it, moved up here from Miami.....They need a Pollo Tropical but i think thats it, love the melting pot...in this area...
Yes, we need a Pollo Tropical...."pollo tropical oye, pollo tropical, chicken on the grill, you never had a chicken...this good."

Old 10-07-2008, 07:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
These types of headlines add to the perception (right or wrong) that a significant percentage of Hispanics in the area are here illegally.

300 suspected illegal immigrants caught in SC raid (broken link)

This was in Greenville, just across the state line from NC.

Has this branded honest hardworking legal Hispanics unfairly, absolutely. But these people were breaking the law, and often using stolen identities in order to get hired, but also victimizing other individuals in the process.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,810 times
I live in Statesville, North Carolina but I'm from California.

I'm actually a nurse and got my original license in California but I have not met another Hispanic looking nurse out here. I'm not full hispanic. Part white and part hispanic but I didn't grow up speaking Spanish although I have learned a lot more Spanish in the last few years.

In California I never had a problem finding work as a nurse and worked for six years with the same company. Out here in Statesville I have never found work. I've had to work through nursing agencies which are based out of Charlotte and have gone to places such as Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Hickory, Elkin, Burlington and all over the place. I've actually had a patient's husband ask me if I was legal or illegal. I thought that was very rude. In California and New York nurses have to have higher passing rates in order to pass the state boards or state nursing tests in order to qualify for a nursing license. I thought it was pathetic that some nurses out here couldn't even spell right in their nurses notes or use proper sentence structure. Also, continuing education units were not required in North Carolina until the last couple of years. In California we had to have 30 units of continuing education every two years in order to renew our licenses. Some of the nurses out here were kind of annoyed about having to get continuing education units but some thought it was a good idea.

Maybe somebody has an idea regarding which areas are more diverse. I'm tired of playing games out here with certain people. I think it's time to move but it's pretty out here and less expensive to live. I enjoy serving the community and feel that I should be able to use my skills and experience to help people. People of all cultures should be able to do what they want in regards to careers as long as they have the proper training and experience.

By the way, there's not much entertainment in Statesville. I go to Charlotte every now and then but other than that there doesn't seem to be much up here. I've met some friendly people though.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Default What are differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GouldCottage View Post
I would welcome you as a neighbor.

As you found out in Ca, which most people think is liberal, not everyone has common sense. That is true everywhere; even in the garden spot of the world, North Carolina.

I do think that you can find enough open minded people in the cities you mentioned and even in Southern Pines. I am often suprised at where my neighbors have been and were born.
How very true...common sense far out weighs anything else...

Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 AM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
Im a native and my best friend is hispanic.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Well, the problem is of course that unless your husband goes around in a shirt that says "I'm LEGAL", there is no way to know whether how he is treated is because people know he's legal or because they aren't prejudiced at all. Put another way, someone who is anti-Hispanic will likely be so whether or not the Hispanic in question is legal or illegal.

NC is one of the 2-3 states with the largest increases in Hispanic populations in the past decade or so, going from very few about 20-30 years ago to substantial Hispanic presences anywhere and everywhere (simply because we had few to begin with, unlike Southwestern states or Florida). Nobody can tell by looking who is "legal" or not, but it's the illegal ones who gets all the press, and there are a bunch of folks in NC who are not happy with this particular demographic shift. Again, it's hard to know what people think of "legal Hispanics" since many "haters" will likely assume "illegal" until proven otherwise. Attitudes towards Latinos are still developing here, in many ways, since again, it is a fairly new, though profound, development.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina