U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 PM

31 posts, read 94,415 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how NC, is towards LEGAL hispanics? My husband is a legal hispanic immigrant. We have paid over $8,000 in legal fees for him to be here LEGALY. He does speak/read/write in english, but he has a slight accent. We moved out to California, from Fl...Big mistake. Everyone judged him, and by everyone I mean white people, right from the get go. They all assumed he was a Mexican illegal immigrant. He is from Dominican Republic, and is college educated.
No offense to the illegal Mexicans, but they have ruined it for all the legal hispanics here.
We are now thinking of going to NC. Maybe Asheville, or Charlotte. Does anyone know, how are the people of NC? Are they more open minded? Do people automatically assume every hispanic is an illegal mexican? Are there hispanics making a good living there?
We are good, earth friendly, sober, hard working people with a baby just looking for a place to settle, and buy a house
Thanks!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 59,342,520 times
From the census :

Asheville:.. 3.8% Hispanic or Latino
Greensboro 4.4% Hispanic or Latino
Fayetteville 5.7% Hispanic or Latino
Raleigh .......7.0% Hispanic or Latino
Wilson ........7.3% Hispanic or Latino
Charlotte... 7.4% Hispanic or Latino
Durham...... 8.6% Hispanic or Latino
Winston Salem 8.6% Hispanic or Latino
Jacksonville 10.0% Hispanic or Latino

North Carolina QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I would expect all cities to have an increase since the census was taken

Old 08-21-2008, 06:53 PM

45,269 posts, read 89,884,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melina635 View Post
Does anyone know how NC, is towards LEGAL hispanics? My husband is a legal hispanic immigrant. We have paid over $8,000 in legal fees for him to be here LEGALY. He does speak/read/write in english, but he has a slight accent. We moved out to California, from Fl...Big mistake. Everyone judged him, and by everyone I mean white people, right from the get go. They all assumed he was a Mexican illegal immigrant. He is from Dominican Republic, and is college educated.
No offense to the illegal Mexicans, but they have ruined it for all the legal hispanics here.
We are now thinking of going to NC. Maybe Asheville, or Charlotte. Does anyone know, how are the people of NC? Are they more open minded? Do people automatically assume every hispanic is an illegal mexican? Are there hispanics making a good living there?
We are good, earth friendly, sober, hard working people with a baby just looking for a place to settle, and buy a house
Thanks!!!

I am not hispanic, so I can't say for sure, but it is my impression that people here in Charlotte are fine with those of different nationalities being here too - as long as they are here legally. Since your husband is college educated he will not be working in the kinds of jobs illegal immigrants are found doing, so I highly doubt ANYONE would think he is illegal. Charlotte itself is really becoming quite the melting pot - we have a large Vietnamese community, Jewish community, and lots of folks from India - just to name a few. Basically this is a family oriented city - in all likelihood you would fit in just fine

Old 08-22-2008, 01:30 AM

3,446 posts, read 9,393,073 times
Quote:
Do people automatically assume every hispanic is an illegal mexican?
Can't speak for everyone. I don't.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:12 AM

66 posts, read 266,036 times
I would welcome you as a neighbor.

As you found out in Ca, which most people think is liberal, not everyone has common sense. That is true everywhere; even in the garden spot of the world, North Carolina.

I do think that you can find enough open minded people in the cities you mentioned and even in Southern Pines. I am often suprised at where my neighbors have been and were born.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 16,218 times
Quote:
Thanks!!!
If you want to see the hispanic situation in NC you can reach the differents spanish newspapers there, like Mi Gente magazine (Charlotte Area), La Conexion USA (Raleigh Area) and also you can check this link: http://www.provost.uncc.edu/msexap/Documents/MeckCoLatinoCommunityNeedsAssessment.pdf (broken link)
it is a Study from University of North Carolina Charlotte that check the real situation of hispanic/latinos in Charlotte area.
I suggest don't move to Asheville.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:53 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,376,697 times
In states with a high number of illegal Hispanic immigrants, it is only natural that all Hispanics be view in that light. Though not a border state, NC is in the top 10 states in illegal immigrant population.

Headlines where factories or food processing plants are raided by ICE and fully 35 to 50% of the employees were detained as illegal immigrants only reinforces that view as accurate.

A raid near Asheville several weeks ago arrested most of Hispanics on the work force, who were also illegals, and comprised 33% of the total work force. This was a business that manufactures parachutes on government contracts for the military.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,400,240 times
Quote:
We moved out to California, from Fl...Big mistake. Everyone judged him, and by everyone I mean white people
"Everyone" is not white FYI (least of all in California). And I frankly find it ironic that you moan about racism while making a racist statement/stereotype all in the same breath. FYI "white people" are no more or less inherently racist than any other "race" (and both are dicey terms at best anyway).

Nothing personal against you and pardon any offense, but I'm so sick to death of the lunacy and idoicy that absolutely saturates race relations in this country it transcends description - esp the whole "evil whitey" thing. There are plenty of both wonderfully enlightened and idiotically racist people of all ethnicities, and everything in between.

/rant

Regarding NC, my impression is it varies a lot - generally you will find more "tolerant" attitudes in more urban areas, and less so as you go farther out.....but again that's a very general impression. I am surprised at what you say about California as I got the impression they were far MORE tolerant.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:31 AM

31 posts, read 94,415 times
Default hey

Hi...thanks for the info...let me explain....First off I'm in Central Cali. We did live in the bay area, and it was more tolerant, but in central cali, there are two types of people. White and Mexican. Everyone who speaks spanish, is perceived to be Mexican. Everyone thinks we're Mexican...which I guess is okay, but to be honest, in THIS particular area, we have noticed there is a clear distinct division of class/race. All the bosses, rich people, and owners of business are white, and all the people doing the sh*tty jobs are Mexican. Now, whether this is b/c they are illegal, or white people settled here first, or whatever, I don't know. I'm just pointing out, thats how it is. In Miami, where I am from, there are hundreds of different types of hispanics, and when someone hears you speaking spanish, they don't assume you are "Mexican" or any other type of hispanic. There is also an even spread of Latinos in good jobs, and powerful positions and whites in not so good jobs, and vice versa. It just seems more divided here, more like your race has some sort of relation to your job position, not saying your race is the reason for your sh*tty job, I'm just saying there is a connection. I just don't want to end up in the same situation in NC.
And finally, (now I'm rolling my eyes) you need to relax! I'm just pointing out what's going on HERE in this area. Yes, the white people here judge my husband more. I'm sorry to say it, but its true! Maybe they haven't met that many other races, maybe its a local culture, who know the reason. They weren't like that in Miami, or the Bay area. And I never said Whitey was evil. I'M WHITE myself. I think all races are capable of good, bad, racism, ect. It sounds like you are experiencing allot of reverse racism by the tone of your response, and I'm sorry for that. It sucks either way. I also did live in certain parts of Miami, where I routinely got harassed for being white. Every race is dumb that way. Just because I said the White people here are judging him, I don't mean the entire white race is evil and judgmental. I'm just saying, we have experienced a vast 'lack of tolerance' and perhaps 'lack of cultural knowledge' here by the white folks, as far as it pertains to my husbands ethnicity.
whew....okay, well, thanks for the info anyway, I really appreciate it, and sorry if I made you upset. I didn't mean to, perhaps I spoke too bluntly- It's a Miami thing

Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 AM

2 posts, read 13,851 times
anyone in here llive in statesville or near statesville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina