Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Get 20 questions right, prove that you can see, and identify common road signs and you pass. Not really a big deal.
Adding that identifying the road signs is part of the vision test. As you look thru the optical viewer the signs are flashed at you. Sometimes it's up to the examiner as to how they allow you to identify them. A couple signs I was not able to exactly name ("uhhh ... that's the sign that tells you..") and I was given a pass. I guess the examiner was having a good day; I've found that profession to be filled with some of the most irascible people

Oh, and you might want to take along a sterilizing wipe for the optical viewer if you are the fastidious type. I'm not the most picky person in the world, but still raised a squawk when I was expected to put my face to the viewer and saw that the edges were rimmed with some kind of crud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:51 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Type in "BrainDumps NC" on your Google search and the second one listed should be the NC information. It take just a bit of time reading this over and you'll have no problem passing the NC driving test. It has all the most common questions and answers there that are asked on the test---makes it much easier and less confusing. I also had a drivers license from CA and no recent tickets but if you live in NC and this is your primary address you will need to get a drivers license from here--plus your auto insurance won't continue to cover you if you don't! There is a specific time line they give you to get it so I'd get it done!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 AM

Hint: Be able to just answer the questions without looking at their silly computerized pictures and it is a whole lot easier. The pictures only confused me. It took me maybe 3 minutes to answer the 20 questons (there are twenty five questions but you are allowed to miss five so if you answer the first twenty right you don't have to answer the last five). I aced the test and was out the door. At least at my DMV the people were very friendly and helpful. Infact they welcomed me to NC. What a nice gesture!!

As far as the cost to register your car--that will depend on what county you live in!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:31 AM

930 posts, read 2,161,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Type in "BrainDumps NC" on your Google search and the second one listed should be the NC information. It take just a bit of time reading this over and you'll have no problem passing the NC driving test. It has all the most common questions and answers there that are asked on the test---makes it much easier and less confusing. I also had a drivers license from CA and no recent tickets but if you live in NC and this is your primary address you will need to get a drivers license from here--plus your auto insurance won't continue to cover you if you don't! There is a specific time line they give you to get it so I'd get it done!

This is what I studied. Most of the questions come from this.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
It worked for me too. I took the 50-question written test.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Some consider this a "cheat-sheet" but I disagree. I still had to learn the laws but it was put in such an easy way to learn. Infact I lent it to a guy at the DMV who'd previously flunked his last test. He sat and read this over at the DMV office and took his test. I didn't stay around to see how he did but am very sure he did just fine. The test is simple enough but they try to make it confusing so that's why this works. Just know your signs with this and you will do just fine!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:52 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,230 times
We just moved here from Michigan and yes we both had to take the test. I think by the time we were done with license and plates ect we had 230.00 total. In Michigan you had to take a written test every four years. I don't think it was as long as that one here.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:49 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,473 times
I know you have to take the vision test no matter whether you are from North Carolina and renewing your license or not. As for the other test yes I would assume that out of staters getting a NC license for the first would have to take the test. Now I am not sure about this because I haven't had a ticket in a long time but it use to be if you had a ticket during the previous years before the renewal, which is on your birthday and can range from 5 to 8 years depending on your age that the license is good for so to speak, you have to take the test also. And the test can be tricky. The best idea is to get a book and read it first. The eye and sign test is not all that difficult. I took it last August and there was 12 signs to identify and a vision test. It looks like now they are more concerned with far vision because after being confined to glasses for nearly 10 years while driving, I passed the eye test last year without glasses.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:47 PM

16 posts, read 25,116 times
It's true that a lot of people fail the exam to get their drivers license in North Carolina. As far as the driving part, in my county we drove out of the parking lot, down the road, into a housing development, made a three point turn, and came back. The driving portion is, by far, easier than the written portion. I passed the first time but I studied prior to taking it.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,761 times
Things are different round here. For example, stop signs got 8 sides and a bottle opener for ez beer consumptin. Speed limit signs are more of a suggestion or average. They are also of a soft metal so the shotgun pelets make good penetration.
Theze things youz need 2 know before ya'll come down here with your truck on our roadz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina