U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2006, 09:06 AM

37 posts, read 202,330 times

Advertisements

I'll be seeing you shortly. I will be moving from New Joysee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2006, 09:17 AM

787 posts, read 3,318,982 times
I hope that you find your move here to be pleasant and that you stay for many years to come. Where are you moving to in North Carolina?

Old 05-31-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
I hope that you find your move here to be pleasant and that you stay for many years to come. Where are you moving to in North Carolina?
First of all, thank you for the warm welcome. Second, I have nooooooooooo idea where to. Which is why I guess I am starting to do my research now. I would like to have the best of everything. (e.g., nice people, nice house, not too far from the city (IF the need arises), relaxing, laid back & friendly community, etc..)

Any recommendations?

Last edited by DesiiLiciouss; 05-31-2006 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-31-2006, 01:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,892,152 times
lol Sounds like most of NC to me.

Do you want to live near the mountains, the coast or somewhere in between? Or does it not matter?

Old 05-31-2006, 01:16 PM

787 posts, read 3,318,982 times
I guess it depends on whether you are city girl or a country girl, like the mountains or the sea shore. I live in Greene County. That is about 90 miles to the NW of Wilmington and almost due west 90 miles from Morehead City. This is without a doubt one of the smaller counties in the state and all rural. There is no hospital in the county but we are within 4 hospitals in 4 other surrounding counties. Most people here are debating on places like Wilmington, Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, Asheville, some of the places in the mountains that I know little about. The biggest draw back of the coastal area is no doubt the hurricanes which hurricane season starts tomorrow and runs until November 30th. From 1996-1999, we were struck and had some damage from Bertha, Fran in 1996, Bonnie in 1998 and Dennis hit us twice once as a hurricane swam out towards Bemuda and came back as a tropical storm some 2 weeks later followed closely by Floyd some 2 weeks after that in 1999. Since then we have had Isabelle in 2003 that did some major damage right along the coastal areas and we got Ophelia last years but it wasn't that bad. We flooded really bad as did a lot of other counties. We personally managed to escape without major damage but a lot of others didn't. The humidity is high starting as early as now. I have seen 100 degree days in May although it is only 85 today. July and August can be unbearable for those working outside or unaccustomed to the change. The middle of the state is the Piedmont and Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and the Research Triangle are there. As well as Cary, Apex, Sanford, and some other smaller towns. Towards the south, there has been a lot of interest in Charlotte and some of the smaller towns there. And of course there is the mountains. And it is beautiful there as well. What I would do is get a map and start looking at the areas that I have here and some of the other people that are looking. Since I have been here my entire life, I am probably more out of touch with the job market and housing market than people relocating here. They seem to have done an excellent job of checking out schools, neighborhoods and the like. Greenville, which is about 20 mile from me, does host ECU and they have a medical center that rivals Duke in Durham and a medical school if that is a consideration for the job market. Once you get a clear picture of what you are really looking for be it city living with all the trimmings or a quaint smaller town, then I would be more able if I am familiar with the area to tell you about it. I wouldn't let the prospect of hurricanes in the coastal area frighten you away. There are ways to live in harmony with the impeding little devils if you act responsiblity and know your limitations when the storm doesn't appear to have any. I am 54 years old and have weathered (pardon the pun) many, many of these storms. And I have yet to evacutate on my own that is. As a child, once Hazel hit in 1954 as a Cat. 4 the hurricane could have been heading to Texas and yet my family evacutate. I will say that staying for Fran was one of our lesser brilliant ideas and I won't do it again. But get that map and start looking. Listen and comment to the people here that are more in the know than I am about current trends. Make a list of what you want, like I said either a fully loaded city or a quaint out of the way place to put country roots down. I am happy to see some new blood coming to the state. I don't get out much and I really love to hear about all the adventures that moving to a new state can bring. You can PM me if you would like. I am assuming that you are familiar with the PM advantage of this site. I will be happy to help you all I can. But like I said, I am strickly country. I don't know a lot about city living at all except to say that I am not particularly fond of what living around it I have done. Every place has it advantages and disadvantages. The deal is to figure out what you can and can't and won't or will live with. Good luck and like I said feel free to contact me and watch the board of the newer transplants and the ones that are coming to the area this summer. I have to say it appears that they are taking everything to the color of their shutters very seriously and seem to have some very good information to pass along the way.

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 05-31-2006 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-31-2006, 02:12 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,883,543 times
* It's North Carolinians

Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,894,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiiLiciouss
I'll be seeing you shortly. I will be moving from New Joysee.

Which part of Joysee are you from? Welcome to the forum we all want what you are after.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Which part of Joysee are you from? Welcome to the forum we all want what you are after.
I am from Central Joysee. Somerset to be exact! Figured I'll buy some Investment property there, however the newly condos in Upper Charlotte are around 450k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina