U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2008, 01:21 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,401,392 times
Reputation: 14907

Advertisements

You need to learn how to ride the pack something experience drivers know how to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2008, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville, NC
1,490 posts, read 5,206,392 times
Reputation: 1600
Don't pay the fine in NC or your insurance WILL go up. Better to pay that money to the lawyer to get it reduced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 03:00 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,856,991 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Don't pay the fine in NC or your insurance WILL go up. Better to pay that money to the lawyer to get it reduced.
Not necessarily true. Insurance companies pay the state $3 fee to check a drivers records. It would cost them millions every year if they check everyone.

Of course if you file a claim, the makes you stand out and they will check your record, but otherwise they only check a small percentage of policy holders every year for the simple reason it costs them money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
 
Location: In a house
21,956 posts, read 21,416,779 times
Reputation: 14911
Going with the "flow of traffic" seems like it should be ok...but it's not! You may just be the unlucky one. If so...take care of this ticket either with a lawyer ( which I personally think is a pain) or see if you can go to traffic school! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,856,991 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Going with the "flow of traffic" seems like it should be ok...but it's not! You may just be the unlucky one. If so...take care of this ticket either with a lawyer ( which I personally think is a pain) or see if you can go to traffic school! Good luck!
The people that get stopped are the ones that draw attention to themselves in some way, i.e. they aren't blending into the crowd.

It can be how you are driving, what lane you are in, or what you are driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 06:52 AM
 
147 posts, read 496,767 times
Reputation: 77
Default Speeding

I take your point and it does make lots of sense of course, but driving in the right lane in a boxy Honda Element should be innocuous at best


Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The people that get stopped are the ones that draw attention to themselves in some way, i.e. they aren't blending into the crowd.

It can be how you are driving, what lane you are in, or what you are driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC
7,178 posts, read 11,177,547 times
Reputation: 30719
Bummer about the ticket. I agree that it's easy to think about how unfair the ticket can be (I was not the fastest car, the other guys were changing lanes or tailgating, etc.), but it is what it is I guess. You broke the posted speed limit and now have to face the consequence.

If this is your first offense, I'd consult with a local attorney. They can give you a feel for how the court system is in Wilkes. I got a speeding ticket up on I-81 in VA two years ago and the attorney I called gave me the low down on that court. He said the county relies on the I 81 traffic citations as a source of income and it would be a waste of money to contest that paticular ticket. So I just paid it and moved on.

I also employ the philosophy that someone else posted here earlier; this ticket can make up for lots of other times that I could have been ticketed for other infractions. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 03:43 PM
 
147 posts, read 496,767 times
Reputation: 77
Default Speeding

Thanks for this info my friend. I appreciate your candor, even-handedness and sharing of your own experience. I'll most likely secure a local attorney. The last thing I want is for this to go into the records.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Bummer about the ticket. I agree that it's easy to think about how unfair the ticket can be (I was not the fastest car, the other guys were changing lanes or tailgating, etc.), but it is what it is I guess. You broke the posted speed limit and now have to face the consequence.

If this is your first offense, I'd consult with a local attorney. They can give you a feel for how the court system is in Wilkes. I got a speeding ticket up on I-81 in VA two years ago and the attorney I called gave me the low down on that court. He said the county relies on the I 81 traffic citations as a source of income and it would be a waste of money to contest that paticular ticket. So I just paid it and moved on.

I also employ the philosophy that someone else posted here earlier; this ticket can make up for lots of other times that I could have been ticketed for other infractions. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Snow Hill, NC
787 posts, read 3,314,408 times
Reputation: 302
Sometimes on the day of court the DA will call all the traffic offenders to the bar and ask them about their driving record and then if you are relatively clean they will offer to reduce the charge in this case it would probably be 63 in a 55 or exceeding safe speed. But my best advice is to hire a lawyer that is better prepared to plea this out. Yes it may cost you $300.00 up front but if you have that ticket on your insurance for 3 years I believe it is after you are found gulity you will pay more than that in insurance increases. In some cases you may not even have to appear in court either. Once you hire the lawyer they usually take care of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2008, 12:06 PM
 
19 posts, read 59,420 times
Reputation: 15
If you take a traffic school course then your ticket will be dismissed and there will be NO point on your record...therefore your insurance will remain the same. A lawyer cannot do anything for you. If you plead not guilty and you lose then you WILL NOT be elligible for traffic school. I suggest this online course: Traffic School Online - The Cheapest Online Traffic School is pretty cheap and its also easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top