Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 11:58 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times

Advertisements

I just love the saying, when someone either loses their mind or you simply think a particular person has said something, what might be considered, less than intelligent, "Seems this boy's cheese done slid off his cracker."

It might not be an exclusively NC line, but it makes me chuckle when I've heard it. And it's certainly a nice way of describing someone who isn't as bright as one would expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 01:37 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
There is all kind of slang that I hear specifically on the lower Atlantic coast...most of it's been covered....it seems dialect and slang doesn't follow political boundaries (i.e. state lines) much. Not much you could truly say is unique to one state but perhaps a common mentality that nurtures the kind of humor to get someone to spontaneously say such things.

"Fixin' to" in whatever form has become pretty much transcendent of regions anymore. I thought the world was over when I met a couple girls from Boise, Idaho a few years ago who said "Fixin' to." They explained that everyone there says it. There are people in Texas who will swear that it's unique to Texas, and don't try to confuse them with the facts 'cause they've already made up their mind.

"Da-gone." (I may or may not be transcribing this correctly.) But this saying I associate that with NC more than anything. Tell them traffic was backed up for two miles on a country road because a bunch of people from Cali or New Jersey moved in last month. "Da-gone" they may well reply.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:46 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
WE leave out a lot of r's
So *that's* where all those "r's" went! I'm still here in Bahstahn, where we pahk our cahs in Hahvahd Yahd.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:24 PM

44 posts, read 200,922 times
If someone tries to dupe you over, you say "Do I look like I just fell off of the turnip truck?"

Also

If something smells bad I have heard people say "That smells like a pole cat"

If someone is drunk I have heard it said that "They really tied one on" or "They are three sheets to the wind"

And I always think it is funny when I hear something referred to as a "lick." Such as "Hey Dan, turn that radio up a lick."

Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 PM

Yep....nothing's a "notch" - it's a "lick."

Old 08-06-2007, 11:26 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotg View Post
From SE NC. This one really tripped me up.

Are you going to the "Settin Up"?

Refering to what I had always known as a wake.
That's cause they're "settin' up " with the dead.
Noticed a lot of us Southerners add "the" to certain retail establishments? "We're goin' to the Wal-Mart." "I et breakfast at the Waffle House." "Maw and Me 'er goin' over yonder to the Dairy Queen."
Love it.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 PM

"The Waffle House" yes - "the Wal-Mart" not very often, must be a localized thing, unless you are talking about "the Wal-Mart" on Road/Highway X (as opposed to "the other Wal-Mart" on the other side of town). I hear that a lot especially in the suburban/metro areas where there are more Wal-Marts than towns.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 PM

41 posts, read 122,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnny View Post
What are your favorite NC slang words or phrases???????
being from upstate NY we had stopped at the waffle house while visiting my daughter ----had some difficulty ordering food from the waitress --we sat down at the counter instead of the booth and she questioned us as to (phonetically) jeet yet?? hubby and i sat there clueless my daughter giggled and interpreted for us--did you eat yet? Of course the waitress then asked us if we wanted our home fries scattered smoothered and covered---it was the first that we heard of that --but yum it was good stuff!
Any others ???
When I walked into Wal-Mart one day and a woman came towards me and said, "Do you want my buggy". It took me a few minutes to figure out, as she started pushing her shopping cart towards me!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 AM

14 posts, read 95,683 times
Well, I moved to NC in, like, 1998....and I am originally from the West. Although, NC people still consider me a Yankee, I have picked up the accent well....and the slang. Most people never know!!!
1.) Instead of say, "That makes me mad", they say "That makes me ill"
It confused me the first time a friend used the word "ill" like that

2.)Most people say "Hi" or "Hello"...well in NC, most people say "Hey"

3.) In the West we said "Soda Pop" or "Pop"....in NC, most people call it "Soda" or "Drink"

4.) Your family isn't "relatives", "related", "family", etc.....they are "kin" or "kinfolk" (but pronounced "kinfoke")

There are SO MANY different terms. Some can take you by surprise or confuse you for a second....but you normally catch what they are saying.

Last edited by Amberette; 08-08-2007 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: wanted to add something else

Old 08-08-2007, 08:10 AM

23 posts, read 78,685 times
"Whatcha know good?" - means how's it going or what's up? I always laugh, because it's almost impossible to respond with an intelligent sounding answer.

"Ain't big as a minute" - used to describe someone who is small.

I know others have mentioned "ill" to mean mad or angry, but everytime I hear it sounds like "eel".

A couple that are just funny sayings meant to be funny that my dad says:
"Me and him went to different schools together" when talking about someone that he doesn't know.
"People are just dying to get in there" when driving past a graveyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina