U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2008, 03:07 PM

51 posts, read 88,036 times
I have been calling all of my aunts "Ant" since I was born. That's how you say it, right? I guess I never realized how much my Dad's Arkansas upbringing impacted my Valleygirlspeak. My grandma was country as the day is long. She also used to say what in the sam hill all the time when us kids got into mischief. And bacon grease, well, that's an on the stove staple. Grits, grilled cheese, pancakes to name a few. I guess I should fit in mighty nice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 02:24 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,743,733 times
My maternal grandparents always called the refrigerator an icebox, too.

Boll/boil - My mom says "oil" similarly. Kind of like "ull". I say oil (oy-ull) and she makes fun of me sometimes. lol

Old 06-10-2008, 05:30 PM

66 posts, read 184,505 times
My wife's family has pet names that just stuck, like the Uncle who was younger than some of the nieces and nephews, was Uncle Baby. I met him when he was 75 yrs old and he was still "Baby".

I also love "set a while and visit' and 'them'r hard times "

Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 11,643 times
I had an experience:One of the neighbor ladies had come to the door, She wanted to know if she could borrow some''ASS""I SAID WHAT!SHE said do you have some 'ASS'
SO I know i looked puzzled,I said hold on a min...Honey the neighbor wants some "ASS" He said what! So he came to the door and asked her,He looked at me and said NO SHE WANTS TO KNOW IF WE HAVE ICE..She needed some ice.So i felt about 1inch tall,but it sounded like ass to me in the END we all LAUGHED TOGETHER

Old 06-23-2008, 08:03 PM

21,687 posts, read 37,080,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me41 View Post
I had an experience:One of the neighbor ladies had come to the door, She wanted to know if she could borrow some''ASS""I SAID WHAT!SHE said do you have some 'ASS'
SO I know i looked puzzled,I said hold on a min...Honey the neighbor wants some "ASS" He said what! So he came to the door and asked her,He looked at me and said NO SHE WANTS TO KNOW IF WE HAVE ICE..She needed some ice.So i felt about 1inch tall,but it sounded like ass to me in the END we all LAUGHED TOGETHER
omg I am in tears.
Great Post!!
I really thought your post was going to take a bad turn but I can relate to what you are sayin so it was hilarious the way you put it.
Thanks for the good cheer!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:04 PM

24 posts, read 56,842 times
youins going....meaning ya coming.....we et breakfast...meaning we already had breakfast..get"r"did..meaning hooking up tonight...our meaning of get"r"done...been there done that...while sitting at a sports bar someone ask u got fried green tomatoes..I was like no...I'm at a sports bar...who knows that meaning..they must have been hungry....lol hey ya'll going to the creak(creek) swimming hole...we call our bowling alley the bowl ho'.Taters instead of potatoes..you gettin ur drink on...

Old 07-01-2008, 01:23 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,000,732 times
The words that make me laugh are:

Screet = street
Part Tart = Pop Tart
Cuttin' up = acting bad
Zink = sink
Durm = Durham

Old 07-03-2008, 06:56 AM

93 posts, read 224,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
My favorite slang to hate is "might can."

Used in the place of "might be able to" as in "we might can do that."

UGH!
actually the proper is "might could"

Old 07-03-2008, 07:27 AM

93 posts, read 224,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberette
they are "kin" or "kinfolk" (but pronounced "kinfoke")

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
Are you serious? Is this everywhere in NC or just certain parts?
i haven't heard it, at least not recently. You would probably find it in the hardcore rural areas or "the boonies" as we like to call them.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 AM

16,311 posts, read 13,166,896 times
Well if it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina