U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-06-2007, 12:05 PM

80 posts, read 240,884 times
Default Laurinburg, NC?

Can anyone tell me about Laurinburg, NC?

I hear it's a small friendly town, but other then that, I can't dig up anything else about it.

What's the general feel? Are there nice apartments in/near town?

Also, does anyone have any experience with St. Andrews Presbyterian College, and more importantly any insider information about their Equestrian majors?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-06-2007, 08:00 PM

212 posts, read 689,393 times
Well, I've never been there, but I used to date this really cute blonde from there, so I like Laurinburg. Nice town, two thumbs up!

Unread 02-07-2007, 08:45 AM

9 posts, read 32,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
Well, I've never been there, but I used to date this really cute blonde from there, so I like Laurinburg. Nice town, two thumbs up!
Her name isn't Lori, is it?

Unread 02-07-2007, 07:35 PM

80 posts, read 240,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
Well, that doesn't help me out much. But I am sure Laurinburg appreciates your rating.

Unread 04-26-2007, 06:19 PM

18 posts, read 83,996 times
Hey, Dublin!

My husband and I currently live in Laurinburg, and I graduated from St. Andrews. Laurinburg (I'll abbreviate as LBG from here on) is a small town with a quaint feel, especially in the neighborhoods near downtown. It has tons of trees, which is great for the environment.

LBG's apartment situation is ok but not stellar. Lots of small homes around town for sale. Maybe a realtor or a private seller would be interested in renting a house to you?

St. Andrews' equestrian program really rocks! Great people running it, especially the therapeutic riding program.

Not a lot of fine dining here, but Southern Pines/Pinehurst is 30 minutes away and has some kick-butt restaurants (some chains, some high-end gourmet).

Hope this helps!
Best,
Stacey1968

Unread 04-26-2007, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,930 times
Default Laurinburg

My ex-inlaws lived in Laurinburg for several years. It's a nice tight-knit community that has some really charming areas. The local high school seems to be the heartbeat of the community. It's a really nice small town.

Unread 06-28-2007, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,344 times
I am a recent graduate of St. Andrews, I took all of my classes at the Sandhills site in Pinehurst. It is a good school but you need to beware of some problems the school is facing, see the website below:
FayObserver.com - Current Article Page (http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=265883 - broken link)

Last edited by jmark65; 06-28-2007 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Web address showed up wrong

Unread 06-29-2007, 12:20 PM

8 posts, read 23,527 times
Dublin it looks like you received some pretty good information here, I know I have help some families relocate to the Pinehurst, NC area that were recruited to work down in the Maxtor LGB area.

Depending on your financial circumstances you might want to consider buying a small home, townhouse or condo while you go to school.

I would suggest looking in the Pinehurst area and make the drive just for appreciation reasons, so when you graduate you have the option of selling the property or renting it out. The benefit course if the market remotely behaves in the next few years like it has the past - you'll get some money back in equity rather then rent receipts.

With the normal influx the Pinehurst area has it was expected that the population in the Moore county area would increase 20,000 by 2010. Now with Fort Bragg being focused on for expansion and becoming the largest Army base in the U.S. the outlook here improves even more.

Let me know if the idea is something you would like to consider.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-29-2007 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Removed realtor web site URL.

Unread 07-03-2007, 11:01 PM

527 posts, read 1,130,363 times
Isn't Laurinburg where Hardy Mart is off of route 74?

We stopped there on the way to Wilmington for a soccer tournament and if there was ever a place where my son and I could have disappeared without a trace, this was it. Sorry.

Unread 08-28-2007, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 12,512 times
Default Laurinburg

This my second year as a student at SAPC. A majority of the students here are here for equestrian, but there's a variety of other majors. This is basically one of the few colleges you can go to in NC for an Equine Business major. The town is a small,rural area that isn't too terribly far from larger areas like Southern Pines (which over more of a variety of restaurants and theatres). Laurinburg is small..no doubt about it, but it's not totally secluded. Another perk is that it isn't too far from the beach. They are currently building some housing in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina