U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2006, 06:57 AM

80 posts, read 437,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
I'll have to ask a friend of mine who likes to hunt (with a muzzle loader, of all things. that's neat) deer and sometimes bear, if he's heard of any mountain lion encounters. He travels in hunting circles where that sort of thing would be talked about. I doubt that he would be inclined to take a shot at one; his brother and father probably would. Friend had to bail them out of jail because they were returning from a hunt one night, saw a deer by the side of the road, and decided to fire out the window of the car at it. Turns out it was one of those stuffed bait deer set up by the authorities to catch people who would do such a damned fool thing.

I live outside an urban area (Winston-Salem), but swear I had a black bear encounter last year, coming home from work one morning around 5am. I was riding my motorcycle (it has a very quiet motor) and, rounding a bend, I saw a bulky black shape lope across the road. I know all the dogs along that stretch and thought "that's a weird-looking dog, too big to be anyo... !!!! that's not a dog! That's a BEAR! " I gunned the engine and sped out of there, not inclined to become a meal-on-wheels, but later reflection made me think "Cool! I saw a bear!"

I'm very fortunate to live in a rural enough area that I sometimes scatter deer out of the driveway when I get home from work in the morning, but a BEAR -- whoa!

I do a lot of hunting myself mostly Pisgah forest I grew up about 10 miles from Mt Mitchell. I see lots of bears bobcats etc. I have seen sign of a big cat before but havent seen one. And I have seen a bear hit along Hwy 40 toward Winston salem.

I have seen the fake deer and I know a guy who got caught not once but 2 different times for shooting it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 8,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
I'll have to ask a friend of mine who likes to hunt (with a muzzle loader, of all things. that's neat) deer and sometimes bear, if he's heard of any mountain lion encounters. He travels in hunting circles where that sort of thing would be talked about. I doubt that he would be inclined to take a shot at one; his brother and father probably would. Friend had to bail them out of jail because they were returning from a hunt one night, saw a deer by the side of the road, and decided to fire out the window of the car at it. Turns out it was one of those stuffed bait deer set up by the authorities to catch people who would do such a damned fool thing.

I live outside an urban area (Winston-Salem), but swear I had a black bear encounter last year, coming home from work one morning around 5am. I was riding my motorcycle (it has a very quiet motor) and, rounding a bend, I saw a bulky black shape lope across the road. I know all the dogs along that stretch and thought "that's a weird-looking dog, too big to be anyo... !!!! that's not a dog! That's a BEAR! " I gunned the engine and sped out of there, not inclined to become a meal-on-wheels, but later reflection made me think "Cool! I saw a bear!"

I'm very fortunate to live in a rural enough area that I sometimes scatter deer out of the driveway when I get home from work in the morning, but a BEAR -- whoa!

We live in Reidsville NC and have been seeing a rather large cat out in the woods back part of our property. Hubby swears its a Mt Lion. As far as bears in NC....heck yeah...theres a family lives on the UNC Wilmington campus...they like to run up and down College Rd. on occasion.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:29 PM

212 posts, read 987,150 times
Plenty of bears, shoot the mountains and the east are wrapped up with them. I think it is sort of foolish to absolutely discount the possibility of large cats surviving in the wild in our state. There is just too much rugged country, ideal habitat, remaining in NC. There are reports every year. There was even a large black cat caught on video a couple years back which as deemed a fake by the NWRC. Those guys won't believe it 'till one of these panthers bites them in the shorts.
We do have plenty of wildcats that can get fairly large, large enough to take down a small deer anyway. Very beautiful creatures.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:34 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,830,210 times
Cougars/Pumas/MountainLions (whatever you wanna call it) are indeed endangered, and I'd be surprised to hear of any sightings east of the Triad. Nevertheless, weirder things have happened.
Best place to see them though is at the NC Zoo...which is also best place to see black bears, grizzly bears, bobcats, red wolves, bison, and many other native (or once-native) NC species.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:13 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,084,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
.....I have seen the fake deer and I know a guy who got caught not once but 2 different times for shooting it.
And someone wants to allow these guys to "hunt" in cities Lions and tigers and bears OH MY!

Old 03-08-2007, 10:16 AM

122 posts, read 407,523 times
Default mountain lions

Hi Mountainman. I live currently in Madison Count NC, 20 mile north of A-ville. and yes, they do exist. A friend had one in her front yard on Halloween. I told her she was the luckiest gal in town. My brother is in forestry and an avid hunter, he has seen them. As for me, I find the best time to spot rare and shy wild critters in late February. In my own yard I had a bobcat and a grey fox,but I have chickens so... Black bears are very common. Every year at least one gets hit by a car. Early evenings in summer into early fall, you can see the cubs crossing the roads. Oh, I also had a weasel, mink, two hawks(killed a chicken that we ate), coons and red foxes. The grey fox was a treat, they are truly hard to spot, but it is mating season.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM

321 posts, read 1,418,803 times
My cousin, who lives up in Ashe County, says that the mountain they want to develop into a ski resort (Phoenix Mountain) is the last place in the area with mountain lions.

She also has about 100 acres up in the hills, and she said that she has seen a puma. She's got this beautiful pond on the property that attracts wildlife.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 7,689 times
I work at a local "Law Enforcement Agency" in Davidson County, about 5 years Thomasville City Police shot a black bear, That is a fact I saw that for myself, I have heard some rumors of cougars, pumas, mt. lions, or whatever you want to call them being in the Flat Swamp area of Denton , I believe it to be more than just rumor because I've seen some wildlife late at night on patrol that was too big to be a bob cat and had a tail. There are coyote's in Randolph County, a friend of mine shot one in the Caraway mountain area , "Have the Pictures to prove it" One thing is for sure the wildlife of NC is changing.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:27 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,212,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post

I was just visiting my parents in Clemmons (suburban W-S), and was lucky enough to see about 20 deer milling around in their side and back yards just as the sun was rising. My Dad said that they come through often and eat apples from under their apple trees. It was an amazing site, and such a surprise. They live in a subdivision called Meadowbrook...which is fully developed but off the busier main streets.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:29 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,212,124 times
My neighborhood in Atlanta is home to a small pack of coyotes that have been harrassing pets and overturning garbage cans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina