U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2006, 01:41 AM

80 posts, read 437,706 times

Advertisements

I was wonderin if any of you all had any data weather they exist in NC ? I know they are in Fl and Ga . What does the state do with all the Mountain lions they confiscate from pet owners?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 01:59 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man
I was wonderin if any of you all had any data weather they exist in NC ? I know they are in Fl and Ga . What does the state do with all the Mountain lions they confiscate from pet owners?
I think they've gone the way of the bison and elk; animals once native to the state. I got a wry chuckle, riding the Blue Ridge Parkway one weekend. I stopped at Bison Gap to read the hysterical marker associated with the view. It said something along the line "here on this spot in 18-something, was the last sighting of a bison in NC, that was thereafter killed by a hunter."

A web search lists the mountain lion as an endangered species in NC, so it seems sightings have occurred. This old fellow has some interesting comments about the possibility
http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/04_03/04_16_03/mtn_voices.html (broken link)

"Itís my supposition that any mountain lions living in this region today arenít descendents of the genetic stock that were originally here. That is, I think they are ones that have wandered into the eastern mountains from Florida or the western states; or, more likely, that they are ones that were trapped elsewhere and deliberately released. Whatever the source, Iím reasonably certain that we have mountain lions in the Smokies region."

I read one source that stated mountain lions are legal to have in Tennessee, not North Carolina. Could be that some got too big for their litter box and were dumped in the mountains. I kinda wonder how they would rehabilitate to the wild after being raised by humans

Old 06-03-2006, 02:31 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,671,762 times
It sounds like you'll have better odds winning the Powerball jackpot than seeing a mountain lion, panther, puma, catamount, or cougar in the NC wild. Would you settle for a bobcat? Those we have.

Here's some more info -

http://nc-es.fws.gov/mammal/cougar.html

Last edited by mm34b; 11-25-2008 at 04:45 AM..

Old 06-03-2006, 03:20 AM

I used to know a girl that lived in Bull creek valley. I have even done some building in a Development in the valley called Buffalo Mountain The main road that runs up the valley from Oteen is called Riceville rd (I guess named after the guy that shot the last buff)

I havent had a chance to read those sites yet but thanks for the info. I have seen plenty of Bobcats and know one guy that claims to have seen a Mountain lion and I have not known him to lie about anything.

I was talking with a woman who takes care of mountain lions on a big private reserve in WNC . She claims that the wildlife officers turn loose these cats they confiscate in remote areas with low hunting pressure.

As far as pet cats making it in the wild I say they have a good chance at it unless they are declawed or defanged. As far as seeing one if they dont want to be seen you wont see them

Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-03-2006 at 03:23 AM..

Old 06-03-2006, 03:49 AM

<snip sign mm34b posted>

Thank you. I knew it was something ironic, like that

I recently read that there are almost 40 bison farms here in NC. I hope that it becomes a more available, cost effective meat. I've had bison a couple of times; quite tasty stuff Has more flavor than beef.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:55 AM

I had some Bison out west it is good. There used to be some bison (in a pen)around the Fletcher area. Btw good info about the cougars ,thanks.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man
I have seen plenty of Bobcats and know one guy that claims to have seen a Mountain lion and I have not known him to lie about anything.

I was talking with a woman who takes care of mountain lions on a big private reserve in WNC . She claims that the wildlife officers turn loose these cats they confiscate in remote areas with low hunting pressure.
I'll have to ask a friend of mine who likes to hunt (with a muzzle loader, of all things. that's neat) deer and sometimes bear, if he's heard of any mountain lion encounters. He travels in hunting circles where that sort of thing would be talked about. I doubt that he would be inclined to take a shot at one; his brother and father probably would. Friend had to bail them out of jail because they were returning from a hunt one night, saw a deer by the side of the road, and decided to fire out the window of the car at it. Turns out it was one of those stuffed bait deer set up by the authorities to catch people who would do such a damned fool thing.

I live outside an urban area (Winston-Salem), but swear I had a black bear encounter last year, coming home from work one morning around 5am. I was riding my motorcycle (it has a very quiet motor) and, rounding a bend, I saw a bulky black shape lope across the road. I know all the dogs along that stretch and thought "that's a weird-looking dog, too big to be anyo... !!!! that's not a dog! That's a BEAR! " I gunned the engine and sped out of there, not inclined to become a meal-on-wheels, but later reflection made me think "Cool! I saw a bear!"

I'm very fortunate to live in a rural enough area that I sometimes scatter deer out of the driveway when I get home from work in the morning, but a BEAR -- whoa!

Old 06-03-2006, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
<snip sign mm34b posted>

Thank you. I knew it was something ironic, like that

I recently read that there are almost 40 bison farms here in NC. I hope that it becomes a more available, cost effective meat. I've had bison a couple of times; quite tasty stuff Has more flavor than beef.
I've heard that too. I also heard that Ted Turner owns the biggest herd in the U.S.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
I'll have to ask a friend of mine who likes to hunt (with a muzzle loader, of all things. that's neat) deer and sometimes bear, if he's heard of any mountain lion encounters. He travels in hunting circles where that sort of thing would be talked about. I doubt that he would be inclined to take a shot at one; his brother and father probably would. Friend had to bail them out of jail because they were returning from a hunt one night, saw a deer by the side of the road, and decided to fire out the window of the car at it. Turns out it was one of those stuffed bait deer set up by the authorities to catch people who would do such a damned fool thing.

I live outside an urban area (Winston-Salem), but swear I had a black bear encounter last year, coming home from work one morning around 5am. I was riding my motorcycle (it has a very quiet motor) and, rounding a bend, I saw a bulky black shape lope across the road. I know all the dogs along that stretch and thought "that's a weird-looking dog, too big to be anyo... !!!! that's not a dog! That's a BEAR! " I gunned the engine and sped out of there, not inclined to become a meal-on-wheels, but later reflection made me think "Cool! I saw a bear!"

I'm very fortunate to live in a rural enough area that I sometimes scatter deer out of the driveway when I get home from work in the morning, but a BEAR -- whoa!
Yep, Black Bears seem to be a pretty common sight in urban areas these day. I use to see them on occassion in the DC area especially around the National Imagery and Mapping Agency in Bethesda, MD and the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, MD.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-03-2006 at 04:25 AM..

Old 06-03-2006, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Yep, Black Bears seem to be a pretty common sight in urban areas these day. I use to see them on occassion in the DC area especially around the National Imagery and Mapping Agency in Bethesda, MD and the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, MD.
Well, if it happens in a tourist spot, be sure that people will act as if a miraculous vision is occurring in front of them We were riding through Cades Cove (that's in the Smoky Mts, for the newcomers) a few years back, when traffic came to a screeching halt. People tumbled out of their cars, climbed on the hoods, frantically scrambled for their cameras .. all because they saw a bear scratching himself against a tree, at a distance of about 300 yards. It wasn't long before a Park ranger came along and clapped his hands to make the bear jog off, much to the groans and catcalls of the tourists. The ranger knew well enough that the next step would be people digging in their coolers, looking for food to toss to the animal, not realizing what the next step would be for bears that become used to getting food from humans: BLAM!! Dead Bear

Last edited by silverwing; 06-03-2006 at 04:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina