U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-15-2008, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,024 times

Advertisements

Hello all, stumbled upon this site while trying to research some NC info.

A little about myself:

I graduated from college with a BSME in 2006 and have been working full time since. Own a home in western PA with my wife, 6 yr old step-son, and newborn daughter.

We're both fairly underpaid for our jobs, even taking into consideration where we live. We've decided it's time to look a bit further away for jobs.

We've been considering NC lately; fairly nice climate, not too far from family, seems to be a pretty good place to be. A bit less snow is always welcome as well.

Have just been tweeking my resume a bit and should start sending it out this week sometime.

We don't really know where to start residence-wise. It will be dependent on my finding a job and where the position is, my wife will find a job from afterwards.

So far is seems most of the ME positions are in or near the major cities, so outskirts would probably be a good start. We like the country and would like something not too close to neighbors. Good schools would be great. Aside from that, I can shop around for the right home.

Any recommendations as to where to look, or if NC is even worth shopping for an engineering position currently? I know it's fairly vague at the moment seeing as how I don't have a job in NC yet. We're just trying to gain some insight in the event a nice job offer comes along.

Thanks in advance for any input provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 07:37 PM

35,575 posts, read 43,772,957 times
Have you considered Charlotte? We just had someone post that engineers are in demand in Charlotte.

Also, I believe UNC-Charlotte has an MA in Engineering so you could always get that along the way if you desire.

N of CLT is Huntersville, Mooresville, Cornelius, Davidson . . . Then there is also Concord . . . South of CLT - Ballantyne . . . and also Weddington and Matthews . . . and then in SC, there is Lake Wylie and Ft. Mill . . . and Union Co has many desirable areas.

These are just a few of the towns that might have communities you would be interested in.

You don't have to live right in CLT - we have many communities w/ a decent commute back into the city, if your job would be located uptown.

Come over to the Charlotte forum for more info. And do a search about "engineering jobs" as we had that thread posted in the last week, I am just sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina